Toriko autos - cars from Japan

Toriko auto is a Japanese automaker founded in 1937 and was producing compact pickup trucks. By 1951 the factory was destroyed and the company went bankrupt. In 1952 the first post-war model of the brand was released the compact sedan Familia. It is still being produced but in the form of a B class hatchback (the real prototype is Toyota Yaris)
Brief history of the brand :
1962-Toriko enters a motorsport competition with the RM2000 where it wins. In honor of this the brand produces a small batch (56 cars) of this model.
1975-the appearance of the two most popular models of the brand- Corona Previon (Corolla) and Corona Dumani (Camry, Lexus ES) in 1984 Dumani becomes an independent model and in 1986 Previon also becomes an independent model.
1991-Toriko the world’s most popular automaker.
2005-scandal over seat belt tensioners in Toriko models.
2018-Toriko officially announced an overall reduction in fuel consumption across the entire model range.
2019-Toriko Dumani the best selling car in the world (1234527 cars were sold that year)

I used Google translate for write this

3 Likes

Toriko Dumani Elegance 2012-2021

Type: 4 door sedan , 5 seats
Wheelbase / Lenght / Width: 2.67m / 4.45m / 1.78m
Chassis:Galvanized steel monocoque / Treated steel panels
Drivetrain: FWD, 9 gear automatic transmission
Suspension: Macpherson Strut(F) , Torsion Beam(R)
Power: 347.4 hp @ 8400 RPM
Redline: 8700 RPM
Bottom end: Aluminium atmo 3512cc V6
Top end: Aluminium DOHC-24
Compression: 14.6:1
Fuel system: Naturally Aspirated Multi Point EFI

2 Likes

Sports compact with a torsion beam? :thinking: Styling looks nice though, good start :slight_smile:

Many C-segment cars have used semi-independent torsion beam rear suspension, but a more upmarket sport compact such as the Dumami would be better served with a fully independent multi-link rear end. With that in place, AWD could then be offered as an option. At any rate, a high-revving atmo V6 is quite an unusual choice, but a characterful one nonetheless. Why not offer it with a six-speed manual, to broaden its enthusiast appeal

That said, instead of regular steel for both the body and chassis, you could try a galvanized steel chassis and treated steel panels (or further upgrade the former to an AHS steel chassis for extra cost). And in this day and age, you may want to use aluminum/silicon (instead of pure aluminum) for the block and heads, thus reducing weight even further. At any rate, this is quite a handsome start to your thread.

Just the same, Dumani is a budget sedan of the C/D segment from the premium there is only appearance. In general Dumani in many countries is associated with a car that people over 35 years old on credit so mechanical transmission in high equipments (Elegance is high equipment) are not really needed. I will also answer the use of other body and chassis materials - budget. The car positions itself as ‘‘a big car for little money’’ besides galvanizing the body is an option for all equipments (sorry if I may have been a little rude I agree with your opinion but I have already made the next generation which also doesn’t have a galvanized body , maybe when I make sedans of other brands I will take this into account)

Toriko Dumani Black Edition 2018

Toriko Dumani Elegance 2021-nowadays

Type: 4 Door - 5 seats
Wheelbase/Lenght/Width : 2.67m/4.52/1.78
Chassis Galvanized Steel Monocoque / Treated Steel Panels
Drivetrain: FWD , 9 gear Automatic transmission
Suspension: MacPherson Strut(F) / Torsion beam(R)
Weight: 1764 kg
Power: 357.3 hp @ 8800 RPM
Redline: 8800 RPM
Bottom End: Aluminium 2002cc Inline 4
Top End: Cast Iron DOHC-16
Compression: 7.6:1
Fuel system: Turbo charger Direct injection

Hmm, there’s some really weird engineering in here. Assuming that’s still supposed to be a budget compact:

• size, suspension, FWD fit perfectly, all steel construction might be a bit outdated, but still ok I guess
  • 9 speed auto - seems like overkill for a budget car
  • engine - while a turbo 4 is normal for a modern compact, at this power level it’s definitely in the sports compact territory, not budget, very much not budget; iron head with aluminium block is a very, very rare (or even not used at all?) combo, as it has all the drawbacks of mixed materials with only a few of the benefits - it’s top heavy, the least reliable IIRC and also IIRC more expensive than the much more common and reliable alu head with iron block; power at the redline is bad for drivability - when shifting up you get a big drop in power, which doesn’t occur as much if you leave some 300-800 revs after the peak power; minor nitpick - a bit under 2.0 is more realistic than a bit over 2.0, as 2000 cc is a very common tax/insurance threshold
  • 9 speed auto again - automatic doesn’t really fit the sporty engine

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t wanna say that your car is bad and you should stop (in fact I think your styling is nice for a newcomer, and I like that you have some lore behind it), I’m just pointing out ways you could try if you wanna make your cars better :slight_smile: On that note, participating in challenges can be really helpful with that too.

2 Likes

Today’s buyers would also want superior corrosion resistance - regular steel bodywork and chassis won’t cut it anymore these days.

Thanks, I couldn’t have said it better. The cast iron head is really a strange choice, the rest might be possible as peak power at high revs is not that uncommon in Japan, however, you’re correct with your precise yet friendly critic.

Hello everybody ! I corrected some of the shortcomings of my models , for example I added galvanized body to my models. I didn’t fix some shortcomings like a cast-iron block head or 9-speed automatic transmission as I don’t consider it necessary (if it works , then why fix it ?)

Toriko Familia (1952)

Type : 2 door sedan / 6 seats
Wheelbase / lenght / width : 2.18m/3.57m/1.48m
Chassis Steel ladder / steel panels
Drivetrain : RWD 4 gear mechanical transmission
Suspension : Double wishbone(F) / Solid Axle Leaf(R)
Weight : 779.1 KG
Power : 77 HP @ 5500 RPM
Redline : 5500 RPM
Bottom End : Cast iron 1231cc Inline 4
Top end : Cast iron OHV-8
Compression : 7.6:1
Fuel system : Naturally Aspirated Single Barrel

1 Like

Seems small for what is supposed to be inspired by the Camry and ES.

Nice car!

2 Likes

Hello ! I didn’t intend to copy the camry or Lexus ES in this car. This is a collective image of the Japanese car industry in the 50s and 60s. The Familia is now copying the Toyota Yaris.

3 Likes

I meant the Dumani Elegance.

Toriko Dumani Toriko Dumani (Without Elegance - this is a equipment) in fact, yes, there are fewer real prototypes, but it is already included in the D segment, taking into account the fact that Dumani increased in length in their every generation. Although, according to the equipment, they were always included in the D / C+ segment (the D segment is also evaluated by the equipment)

Toriko FELV(Fuel Economy Luxury Vehicle) concept (1991)

Type : 4 door / 5 seats
Wheelbase / Lenght / Width : 2.62m/4.64m/1.76m
Chassis galvanized steel monocoque / Aluminium panels
Drivetrain : AWD 4 gear Adv. Automatic transmission
Suspension : Double wishbone(F) / Multilink (R)
Weight : 1341 kg
Power : 486.6 hp @ 6900 RPM
Redline : 6900 RPM
Bottom end : Aluminium 3047cc V8
Top End : Aluminium DOHC-40
Compression : 11.0:1
Fuel System : Turbo Charger Multi Point EFI

3 Likes