Trafikjournalen comparo: 1979 executive cars (on hold until later this year)

what? what?

5 Likes

Google translate fails him once again

6 Likes

OK, a bit busy, but answering some of the questions…

Priorities, well, I suggest you to take a look at the rating system in the previous challenges. Then to look at the inspiration cars. For example, a Volvo 240 and a Citroën CX are in many ways polar opposites. The CX will outhandle the Volvo while you are riding on a cloud, but on the other hand the Volvo is almost unbreakable, and any backyard mechanic will be able to fix it if something still should suffer a meltdown. Which one is the best car? That is in the eye of the beholder. Still, they do have things in common, like being roomy, safe and well appointed cars for their era, and that is maybe the red thread through the inspirations?

Transmission, there the choice is really up to you. A 4 speed manual would have been considered standard in this class. 5 speeds were rarely standard but started to appear as optional equipment so they are absolutely OK. Autos were available in more or less every car in the class, both 3 speed (e.g. Ford) and 4 speed (e.g. Mercedes) so they are OK. So think about how they affect the stats. If you have a car with questionable reliability, wrecking it even more with an auto may be a bad idea. If your car is a bit unrefined for the class, an auto might help comfort and driveability. So, choose wisely.

Economy, yes it will matter. This is not purely luxury cars and buyers will be somewhat economy conscious, also it is post both the first and second energy crisis in the 70s so good fuel economy will surely be appreciated.

(Out of time, will answer more later)

7 Likes

Knug, are these intended to be more like base trim machines, or is it simply anything that fits within the notional budget?

1 Like

Some more answers:

Regarding sound systems, nah, put in a luxury stereo if you want to and can fit it in the budget/ET limits. As I have understood it, there is something of an unwritten rule here that one step above or one step below interior is seen as “realistic” for entertainment so I kind of approve that here too. It’s all up to what you want to accomplish, do you want to sacrifice other tech for a fancy stereo, or not. Feels like something you could find in, for example, the japanese offerings, quite simple engineering with lots of gizmos. Maybe not so much in a BMW that had almost a little austere approach to luxury and was a car for engineers, by engineers. So once again, it’s up to you what you see as common sense here. But if it is too ridiculous it can get a sour review or even a bin, as usual (even if the risk of a bin for just the sound system is pretty small).

Cats are not mandatory, no. As long as you pass the emissions limits, but I will not make the test engines in some days yet, since from what I have heard we will have an update in just a few days that probably will bork the stats of the current engines, so no limits will be set before the update.

You don’t have to send the base models, feel free to send a more well equipped model if it fits the ET/Budget limits. However, I guess that I will try to put a kind of conservative limit there, I guess the test cars I will build will not emulate top of the line models in this class.

6 Likes

Isn’t the SAAB 900 more of a 3-series/80 compettitor than a W123/5-series/100 competitor?

It’s really on the limits IMO. But in Sweden back then the toughest competition was always between the Saab 900 and the Volvo 240… But yes, I really don’t want to see anything smaller than the 900 here.

3 Likes

I’m still recovering my red eyes, so I won’t send messages soon and will generally sit in the game at a minimum. Dry eye syndrome or microbes, has not figured it out yet. I sat at the computer while hacking (building) a map for Ravenfield in December 2020. Sorry for google translate.

4 Likes

Well, I had to stay home from work for a day some weeks ago with a red eye I could hardly open, looking at anything bright was severe pain so I know how it is, take care of yourself, and don’t hurry, I mean, submissions aren’t even open yet.

4 Likes

You get well, man.

I felt very inspired by this challenge (WIP, I understand.) Here’s what I’ve been working on so far

This little guy was endearing to build. 225 HP, 140MPH top speed, 9 sec 0-60, 3.9L Inline 6. I looked to Maserati for inspiration and then blended some things here and there that I’ve done to the FMC line.

Super-fun to build, I’m screwing around with it now on the Nurburgring to see if I can make it around safely. That’s a good measure of a car for me.

Take care, heal up!

edit: Hell yeah I made it around, spun in a spot but was able to keep it off the wall. All on hard and skinny-ish tires that would be a good match for a comfy tourer. But the handling was really good. 10:57:392 (controller). The Green Hell track in Automation - the AI did it in 9:47.45 - must be a ballsy driver lol.

Anyway, just wanted to inject some enthusiasm to the challenge. Take care,

5 Likes

If you want, I can will test your car on the GP Strecke. I have a good steering wheel and I know how to approximate BeamNG simulator conditions for real life.
Therefore, I will get real record for your car.
Around 2 minutes – is not a long time.

Great stats! What sort of fuel economy are you getting with that much power?

Only 11.3MPG, which is not great. My view though is that once we learn all the requirements for the challenge, I could always downsize the motor or choke it more. This could be the “hot” variant.

The required-open differential ruins the fun pretty quick anyway, at this power level.

It’s really a pity that the game does not implement a clutch pack LSD that was common already in the 60s and really feels like the type of LSD that has been used the most throughout history.

Anyway, since there seems to be a big update coming that will bork engine stats, the start for submissions will be put on hold at least until that.

Its like building on quicksand, eh?

We can simulate primative LSD’s with “auto-locking” diffs I think.

That’s why challenges set between the 50s to the early 80s often allow the use of automatic lockers to simulate early LSDs. For reference, a geared LSD is only available from 1982 onwards, and the cheaper viscous LSD doesn’t unlock until 1985.

So I had to drop the compression and cam profile a lot but I got 16MPG while still making 191HP @ 5000RPM, and 210 ft/lbs TQ @ 3900RPM. So, its not nearly as hot but it gets what I hope is decent MPG for the class for the era. I like the 3.9L size though. 0-60 improved to just over 8 sec though, so it would be fun to own for the time.

17MPG with a 5-speed manual trans and 7.6 0-60 BTW… So…yeah I’d take that one.

3 Likes

My setup is even less hot than that rn. 135 Hp from 3.7l, gets like 19 mpg even with a three-speed auto. Yeah you get 11s to 60, but it’s an executive car not a Biturboish GT.

3 Likes

Yeah that makes sense. I’m not too upset about the 16-17mpg with the power, though. Balancing that is tricky with the latest update. I found that even if I cut the engine in half, I can’t get decent MPG due to the vehicle weight and drag. Also weird is how wider tires gives better mpg. That can’t be right.