Trafikjournalen (Test: 1955 TORSHALLA POESY KOMBI)

A very objective review! I was pleased and amazed.

3 Likes

REPRINT FROM #16 1994
REVIEW OF ARLINGTON FOXHOUND 4.3 GS

NOT GROUNDBREAKING, BUT COMPETENT!

Most people would agree that the Arlington Foxhound is stylish. The question is if the styling will appear to US car enthusiasts though. This could as well be japanese or german.

We look at our new test car and the front end reminds me of some japanese sports cars, while everything from the firewall and back could be a german luxury coupé. But what we are looking at is the modern interpretation of the classic american pony car. Gone are the days where you could see which country a vehicle was coming from just by the pure looks of it, maybe not so strange, today the wind tunnel is what dictates the shape. That’s probably something we will have to get used to, but the question is - how is the Arlington Foxhound to live with?

DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS
This is nothing like the muscle cars of the past. Sophisticated suspension systems both front and rear means that the car handles well. On the skidpad we managed to get 0.99 Gs - clearly a more than acceptable value. Of course it is rear wheel drive - that is an important part of the soul when it comes to cars like this. It is a bit tail happy at low speeds - just like it should be if you ask an enthusiast, but thanks to a limited slip differential, the meaty 225 rubber won’t go up in smoke immediately at least. But it feels very secure when it comes to high speed cornering, and it probably won’t surprise you in an emergency maneuvre.

About the brakes, one word. Excellent! Panic stops shows no fade and a 35.1 metre stopping distance from 100 means that you will almost be nailed to the windshield if you stomp on the pedal. And even a muscle car has anti lock brakes nowadays so you can trust them even if the weather conditions are harsh. Gone are the days of fading drum brakes, thank god.

Power steering (variable ratio) is standard, paired with relatively compact dimensions means that city driving won’t be a total struggle. The wedge shape might take away some visibility when it comes to parallell parking though - but that’s something we likely will have to live with in the future. Again, the wind tunnel is what shapes the cars of today.

VERDICT: ****

PERFORMANCE
Some people still says that the muscle era ended with the oil crisis and emissions regulations in the 70s. Obviously, they have never driven the 4.3 GS. 5.9 seconds from standing still to 100, a whooping 3.94 seconds from 80 to 120, 14.35 second times on the quarter mile. Top speed is electronically limited to 249 km/h - frankly, with a 110 km/h speed limit on the highways that is less of a worry.

VERDICT: *****

The side most people will see of the powerful Foxhound, is our guess.

COMFORT
Riding in a Foxhound is not exactly like riding on a cloud. Suspension is firm (not rock hard, just a bit “sporty” in its setup), seating comfort is horrible in the back but at least quite good up front. On the other hand, good sound insulation and a well muffled engine means that the ride is surprisingly quiet - now we don’t know if it will please the potential buyers or not, expect loud aftermarket exhaust to be a huge seller. Stiff clutch and gearbox is something that most often comes with a powerful manual transmission car - so also in this case. Don’t be scared away, though, the Foxhound is far from a penalty chamber - it is just not in the higher end of the market.

VERDICT: ***

ROOMINESS AND PRACTICALITY
Hardly the reason to buy a car like this, huh? The luggage compartment is minimal and the passenger space not much better. It is hard to find a less practical shape than a 2 door coupé - should be a convertible maybe. At least there is a back seat even if it’s hardly suitable for adults. Nah, from this point of view the Foxhound is hardly a rational purchase, but then again, that is also true for all of the competition.

VERDICT: *

EQUIPMENT AND INTERIOR
We have already mentioned limited slip and ABS. It also comes with variable ratio power steering, and of course what’s considered more or less “standard” today like power door locks. Our test car also came with an optional package including for example 16 inch alloy wheels wrapped in sticky rubber, leather upholstery and a grippy leather wrapped steering wheel, a tape deck with crystal clear sound, electric windows, air conditioning, dual cup holders etc. - something we consider worth picking when you do your purchase.

As for the interior, well… It feels a bit like nice seats and steering wheel in an otherwise a bit dated and “plastic” interior. But it is well laid out and has acceptable ergonomics, which is the important part. Some people might complain that it looks a bit “cheap” and old fashioned, though. It’s up to you to decide if you like it, and we aren’t going to beat on the car for this.

Hardly exciting - but functional and competent.

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
The 4.3 litre V8 has a relatively conservative power output of 234 hp - but it is more than enough. It runs quiet and smooth, as well as efficient and clean for what it is. It has a SOHC valvetrain layout, cast iron block and alloy heads - a bit more up to date than the yankee cars of the past.

Gearbox and clutch are a bit more tractor like, a bit stiff which is the cost you have to pay when mated to a torquey V8, be a bit careful on it or you will fry either clutch or tyres, none of them exactly cheap. There is relatively wide spacing in the 5 speed manual, but gearing is relaxed for highway speed driving.

Hardly groundbreaking stuff but it does its job in a car like this.

QUALITY AND RELIABILITY
The impression of build quality is fair but that’s it, don’t expect anything above average, but we would not call it a disappointment and it was free from rattles and squeaks. Also, panel gaps looks even and the metallic black on our test car was smoothly laid out with a nice sparkle. Lots of aluminium and corrosion resistant steel in the panels and structure means that it will probably stay like that instead of turning into a leopard too. Also, tried and true technology means that ownership will be relatively trouble free, we predict the reliability to be slightly above average.

ECONOMY
$30200 AMU is not at the bottom end on the market, but we think that you get a lot of car for that money. 12.1 litres per 100 km is far from economical in itself - but on the other hand, we don’t expect better in this class. Service costs, once again above average at £1029.7 AMU - but this is no 3 cylinder compact car on narrow bakelite tyres. We also predict second hand value to be good. So, this is far from an economy car - but absolutely not a disaster for your wallet. Actually, good for its class, we would say.

VERDICT: **

SAFETY
It offers nothing extra when it comes to safety, but of course it fulfills all the regulations, comes with stuff like door beams, pretensioning seatbelts, and (only) a drivers side airbag. The cramped cabin might be a concern but on the other hand, with the long front crumple zone you will sit far from the things you might (god forbid) manage to hit, and 1409 kg of weight is enough to be an advantage over a smaller car. NHTSA testing have given it a 3 star verdict - and so do we.

FINAL VERDICT: 28/45
The Foxhound is by no means amazing, groundbreaking, but excuse our french - damn good. It gives you lots of value for your money and is competent overall - especially when it comes to performance.

A car like this has drawbacks from a rational standpoint, but then again, nobody buys a car like this for rational reasons, which have to be weighed in. It excels in all areas a modern muscle car should do it - and that’s the right priority. We doubt that many buyers would be willing to pay extra for stuff that is not necessary in such a car.

Probably that’s the key to success in this class.

Thanks to @Texaslav for the car!

7 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Good reading, quality review as usual - and actually, a quite nice car - though I have to complain about one thing - the interior shot is too dark! Can’t see a thing there.

Yes, I know, didn’t have time to take a new one unfortunately.

Thanks for the review! It seems pretty spot on, and I do like that very Swedish touch of “…But we aren’t allowed to do 249!”

1 Like

REPRINT FROM #5 2012
FIRST LOOK: ALLURE G7

ODDBALL WITH LIMITATIONS

Say what you want, but the G7 won’t disappear in the crowd. If it looks good or not is up to you to decide.

In a world of cars being more and more similar, the Allure G7 at least gives us a whiff of fresh air. The styling stands out from the crowd, no question about it, and the rest of the concept is also interesting in some ways. With its aluminium body and almost sports car inspired 4 seater interior, it promises much, as well as rolling on 22 inch magnesium wheels suggests that this should be something over the top.

Unfortunately, it is not. The 223 hp from its 3 litre inline six sounds more like mid 90s sporty family sedan power figures, than something that would be competitive in this class today. Performance wise the competitors will blow the doors off the Allure G7.

Some engineering is also questionable, like having very small ceramic brake discs in the rear. Seems like unnecessary costs when it is time for replacement that could as well have been solved with regular iron discs. But there is no complaints about the braking performance, and even otherwise, the Allure G7 is a relatively pleasant car to drive.

Though we are questioning if this means that people are willing to pay 61300 AMU for a car that will have its doors blown off by some 90s turbo car tuned by a kid in a cowbarn. Unfortunately, we doubt that it is enough.

Thanks to @DuceTheTruth100 for the car!

4 Likes

Ayyeeee!!! This was a pleasant suprise lol. Thanks for the review my brotha!!

Im gonna take what you and Vero said make some adjustments engineering wise. After i sent you the 2nd file i ended up putting a turbo on that same engine and that brought power up to 334hp I believe. That will probably serve as the “base” engine im thinking :thinking:. So for lore/game purposes ill have to think of a name for it, adjust some settings and whatnot and go from there.

Kinda like how Cadillac scrapped the 4cyl base engine in the ATS…we over at Allure will take the same approach.

Allure G7 3.0t anyone?

Once again thanks for the review!!

See, these reviews make way more sense. Harsh but constructive, like any good teacher or observer with experience. Awesome.

REPRINT FROM #21 2020
TEST DRIVE: SENZOU ZEUS 5.2 V10 GT

The Zeus GT is sliding out of the corner almost like a relic with its V10 engine. Environmentalists might hang their heads, but petrolheads probably find it refreshing that such a thing still can exist.

It should be said, with the EV revolution going on, it really does not feel politically correct to step inside something like the V10 powered Zeus anymore. Of course, we are all gearheads and deep inside we still love it. Yet, we know that nowadays very few petrol cars stand a chance even performance wise to the most powerful EVs, and while it might be understandable to still stick to the ICE in the lower end of the spectrum where the only goal is to build a cheap car for the masses, at $88300 AMU things are really different. Buying a car like the Zeus is like a statement that “I don’t give a crap, and I can afford to show it, too!”.

But then, there is something that appeals to our instincts that the EV never can replace. The roar from the turbocharged 688 hp V10. Burbling like a truck at low speeds, screaming insanely higher up in the rev range. In fact, a little bit too insanely on the early examples. After a few complaints, Zeus made the exhaust note a bit muffled. So, now we bet the market for aftermarket, louder exhaust might be blooming. As you already know, people will never get satisfied. Speaking of trucks, how about 814 Nm, by the way? Yeah, words are unnecessary.

The huge boat is electronically limited to 300 km/h - we have heard that speeds over 350 is theoretically possible with the limiter removed. Ouch. 4.6 seconds to 100 is maybe not amazing anymore but can hardly be called slow - the power to the chunky 275/35R22 rear wheels are transmitted through a 9 speed auto to an electric LSD that is doing its best to prevent them from going up in smoke.

The handling is great and what strikes us is that it is so easy to drive. Sure, it is no city hatchback at slow speeds, but it seems to be more comfortable with its occupation the faster you go. A totally mental car, and you have to drive in such a mental way to encounter dangerous situations. Should the worst happen, you’re sitting in a 2.2 tonne tank, having one of the best Euro-NCAP results in history.

Less impressive, though, is the brakes. They lack bite for being a performance car, and is actually a slight disappointment. Though it should be said that they can take lots of abuse before showing even the slightest of fade.

Does it come at a cost? Oh, you bet. The current gas guzzler tax will put a heavy penalty on it even if 11 litres per 100 km is an acceptable figure for what you get. We have also mentioned the high base price, and servicing is at $1868.6 AMU, once again, for the type of car an acceptable figure, but cars like this are always a disaster to own. And yeah, it requires 98 octane fuel, which is getting more and more rare at the tap, and comes at a price premium too.

An insane car for a few. A very few in fact. Since Senzou is not without competition, it will be a tough nut to crack in the small Swedish market.

If you still feel like you’re a potential buyer, hurry up. Who knows for how long we will even be allowed to buy stuff like this?

Thanks to @BannedByAndroid for the car!

7 Likes

IMPORTANT MESSAGE!

First, this thread has grown larger than I maybe thought that it would ever do back in 2018. This is of course fun, but it also means that it is (maybe) kind of hard to read and get an overview of at the moment. So, my plans are maybe to restructure the first page a bit, maybe freshen up the layout a little, so it might look a bit strange every now and then until I have sorted things out. Also, my queue for reviews only has one car at the moment, and I would prefer to keep it that way until I have sorted things out, so if you can put the cars on hold for a while, then I will open for submissions with less restrictions than it has been for the last months or so. I want to do this before it becomes a too hard work to handle.

Second of all, I want to give you some tips and an explanation of how this works.

As you might have seen, there is three types of new car reviews, “First look”, “Test drive” and full on “reviews” with the star rating. This is an intended thing and some people may see it as unfair that not every car will get a full on review. Truth is, this is supposed to mirror reality a bit.

This is mainly a “consumer oriented” magazine, that writes mainly about the cars Mr Average is interested in buying. Still, not a boring one so it has articles about everything automobile related, even hypercars, classics, customized cars to an extent. But, such magazines do exist IRL too, and if you look at them, you rarely will see a Ferrari get a review in the same fashion that for example a Toyota Camry will have.

So, if you want a full on review, the thing to do is to send in the most grey and boring econobox you can, huh? Not quite that easy. Even sporty, luxurious, upmarket cars gets full reviews every now and then, but it depends a bit on how interesting it might be for the general consumer, and in the end I am the one that makes the decision, there is no general answer.

What I know is that I get a lot of high end sports sedans, hot hatches in the upper end of the segment, supercars etc. - and sure, there is nothing wrong with that (except that it is getting a bit repetitive to only get cars from a few market segments). But that also means that there is a greater chance to only get one of the shorter writeups. If we once again look at reality, in a magazine like this, if a new model Audi A6 comes out, it will more or less be guaranteed a review, that despite the A6 being very much of an upmarket car. On the other hand, they would definitively do a writeup about the RS6 too, because that’s absolutely a car people wants to read about. But it will not get a separate, full on review. To the general public, it is much more interesting to know how well a bread- and butter model performs on the road, it might be quite disappointing if the top of the line model gets a good grade while they failed to mention that the version that most people will buy tips over in the corners and are slow like a golf cart.

Then, the next thing: Realism. An unrealistic car will have a hard time getting an in depth review. I don’t like to bin cars, but well. Let’s say you have built a small 2020 pickup truck, using a 50s body, glued aluminium chassis, carbon fiber panels, sports interior, longitudinal front wheel drive and a 700 cc 3-cylinder with carbs and a turbo. It also has a crane on the bed, a tap on the dashboard where you can choose between Dr Pepper and Coca Cola, and best of all, a hood ornament that looks exactly like Cheems. You’re so proud of it and you think that it is the coolest thing on earth…

You know what? Keep being proud, you probably had fun when you made it and it may be lots of hours put into it, may be the hardest work you have ever done in Automation.

BUT… The thing is, you should not be disappointed by such a car getting only a short writeup, and probably a very sour one too. It is nothing personal about it, nor do I necessarily say that I hate your car. But among cars that are supposed to be a serious alternative in the Automationverse, such ones simply does not cut it. With that said, I only remember that I have binned two cars, both were from the same creator and I simply could not give a fair review since he had put +15 quality on EVERYTHING. So I am quite relaxed when it comes to bins (some other cars never got a review because of personal reasons combined with the switch to 4.2 but that’s another story).

Also, I have decided that from now on, for a full on review a full interior is also required. It simply feels much easier to do realistic, interesting writeups if I can SEE what the interior looks like. And, it will also be part of the review. Now, don’t sweat it, I won’t judge things being some millimeters off or the interior not looking perfect. It’s more that I will look like things, if it looks up to date, put the dummy in there to see if the ergonomics seems to work (now, I will resize the dummy to 0.9 because most car bodies are simply too small to have a good fit for a full sized dummy), look if switches etc. seems to be placed in an intelligent and ergonomical manner, or scattered everywhere, etc.

Which interior you put into the car in automation will of course still matter. Putting basic interior in but building something from a Bentley out of the fixtures? Yeah, you bet that I will complain about leather imitation that actually is made from low quality PVC and woodgrain tape coming loose just by looking at it then!

Another thing - of course, the more lore and info you give me about the car, the easier for me to do the writeup. Once again, you can’t get a nicer review of a shitbox by telling me how good it is, but at least some info about the car maker and the actual model makes my life much easier, maybe also its position on the market, its history, if it’s a low- or high grade equipment level etc.

Questions? Just ask me. And I hope that I was more helpful than salty here, because that was my intention. I just like to exaggerate things sometimes to prove a point, and I hope that nobody takes it personally.

13 Likes

I’m pretty sure I know who’s that :joy: Interesting news, I like the in-depth view.

1 Like

Also, some things that I forgot.

Yes, I take cars from any year, however, the newest “regular” car I have any in depth IRL experience with is the W203 C-class (I had a 2001, my brother has a 2007) which is a quite dated design at the moment. Newer than that, I have mostly been driving vans, like Renault Kangoo, VW Caddy and Transporter, Opel Vivaro etc. - and yes, they do their stuff good, but are often very basic compared to the latest passenger car offerings. Or to put it this way, I would rather go for a long trip in a 20 year old C-class than in a new Kangoo and that probably speaks volumes about the difference between a modern van and for example, a NEW C-class.

Also, I kind of lost interest in reading new car reviews about at the same time as the W203 C-class went out of production. :stuck_out_tongue: So that sort of doubles as a reference point why I sort of lost track there, I guess. It’s not that I won’t review a 2010s car, but don’t expect that I will do a perfect work…

And, sometimes I might find something other than a review that the car is suitable for. If it is a car that seems like it could be a cult classic today, I might put it on the “Classic car pages” (if so, take it as an honour because it actually means something). If it’s a car that would have got a second life as a second hand purchase while being overlooked as new, it can get an “used car report” instead. Well, this is how I work and I hope that you find it acceptable. If you really want a special kind of article, you can always suggest it, I will never promise anything but it might help.

Also, something I will gladly do is comparision tests. So, you and your friends have done a bunch of similar cars (now we are talking about a few, not 30 of them), and wants to find out how they stack up to each other? Well, I am eager to try so just tell me.

Finally, who did this mistake, who did that, is a thing I don’t care about, it is just a tip about what not to do, and a mark of how off something must be for me to see a bin as the only alternative, so don’t sweat it too much.

Now, I hope that I have said all there is to say and that it has been somewhat helpful.

8 Likes

Today when I was folding clothes at the laundrymat watching Redline reviews on youtube…

I thought to myself at one point, It’d be dope to read comparison test from Trafikjournalen.

Tru story.

7 Likes

REPRINT FROM #11 2020
REVIEW OF THETA L400 AWD

BLUE THUNDER

Expensive and not flawless - but man, what a car!

We rarely review the more extreme stuff here. The reason is that we think that for you as a consumer, how boring it even may sound, it is more interesting to read reviews of cars that are in the more affordable end of the market. But every now and then, something interesting pops up. Like the Theta L400 AWD for example. A high end sports sedan (or actually, a liftback), at $86900 AMU only a dream for most of us, a reality for a chosen few. Yet, we actually decided to take it for a spin (we weren’t exactly hard to convince here!) to show you what it is good for.

DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS
The first thing that strikes you is how easy the car is to drive. Despite being a 505 hp beast, it is as forgiving as an econobox, as long as you treat it with sanity. It is almost completely neutral in its handling, and AWD combined with an electronic LSD and modern traction control system means that wheelspin is almost non-existant.

Of course (even if we don’t recommend it) a car like this can be treated with insanity, too. Then you will notice that it is actually very forgiving then, too. 1.02 G on the skidpad and no sudden loss of traction, it is warning you in good time.

Hitting the brakes is almost like hitting a wall. 35.5 metre stopping distance is great numbers, and fading is only somewhat noticeable when you are driving in a manner that is extremely dangerous for your drivers license.

For maneuvering in crowded spaces, like for example city traffic, it is what it is. A large car. However, the length is rather moderate compared to some of its competitors, also the visibility is good, due to have relatively large glass areas for a modern car.

A true drivers machine indeed.

PERFORMANCE
It is indeed quick. Maybe not the fastest car on the market, but far more than enough with a 0-100 time of 4.7 seconds, and 3.09 seconds from 80-120. The quartermile is done in 12.78 seconds and it will top out at 290 km/h which is where it is electronically limited. If you need more, there is the 480 Nur-spec.

COMFORT
Gone are the days when a high performance car meant a torture chamber. The L400 is amazingly comfortable. There is an active suspension system that despite being set up on the sporty side, actually makes the ride very pleasant too. Engine note is adequately muffled, without losing its “sporty” tone, sound insulation great, road noise very low due to, for example, very quiet tyres. Theta has resisted the temptation to go for the stickiest rubber available, but opted for a good compromise between sport and comfort instead. And why not? It’s not like the car won’t hug the road after all.

Being a liftback, it has great versatility, it is easy to load and the already large cargo area can be expanded by partly or fully folding the rear seat forward. The cabin is among the roomier on the market, with place to really stretch your legs out. Also, it has five full seats - more practical than the 4 seater configuration sometimes found in this class, but at the sacrifice of comfort.

EQUIPMENT AND INTERIOR
If you mention it, the Theta has it. Even launch control and a very advanced infotainment system that makes one wonder why you should even leave the car ever? But for this price, you also have the right to be picky.

The interior is nicely appointed, sure you can see that it is a mass produced car, not really hand stitched seats and acres of polished wood here, though still a nice place to be. Some of our staff scratched their head at the unusual centre console, though. If it looks good or not is up to you to decide. Our first thought was that it would screw up the ergonomics, but with automatic transmission and voice control, you rarely need to touch either the shift lever or the buttons on the dashboard. Other than the console, though, the interior looks relatively “normal” and maybe does not carry very much personality. For the better and the worse, personality does not always equal functionality.

Interior-wise very usual for its class, though the console is a touch you may like or not.

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
First of all, we’re a bit confused about why Theta is sticking to their 6 speed autobox. “It is enough”, says Theta. Maybe they are right. With this kind of power, a 2 speed Powerglide from a 60s Chevy would be enough too. But when the competition has been offering 7, 8 and even 9 speed transmissions for some years, it feels like if it is lagging behind at the moment.

Better then with the engine. It is a bit unusual with the 60 degree V8, especially in a longitudinal application, but with balance shafts it still manages to run smooth. As we said before, it is relatively quiet too, and its turbocharged 505 hp gives a little kick when they wake up, but not on the limit of being unpleasant.

The all wheel drive system is biased to the rear, which seems to be the most viable option in this kind of car, and we experienced the bias as quite sane.

QUALITY AND RELIABILITY
The fit and finish is not exactly jaw dropping, but still on a high level. A luxury car like this of course has more stuff to go wrong than an econobox have, but Thetas are generally showing good reliability records. With a glued aluminium chassis you won’t see structural rust ever, but surprisingly enough, some outer panels are still steel.

ECONOMY
Yeah. You guessed right, it is non-existant. The purchase price speaks for itself, and even if neither service costs ($1559.8 AMU) or fuel economy (10.8 litres per 100 km) are terrible for the class, compared to the rest of the market the story becomes something else. It also requires premium fuel to top it off. So, not bad for its class actually, but that doesn’t say much either.

VERDICT: 0

SAFETY
At 2.2 tonnes it is a tank. Also, there is no modern safety equipment that we can think of that is lacking in the Theta. Get a nuclear shelter if you want to be safer, is our suggestion.

Interesting taillight design makes the car easy to identify from behind - especially at night.

FINAL VERDICT: 36/45
The Theta is of course a fantastic car. However, for its price it also should be. And we kind of question why you only get an old 6 speed auto for this kind of money, but maybe that only shows that we are becoming spoiled nowadays. Of course, there are areas where competitors are sharper, like always. But generally there is nothing that is seriously flawed with the Theta, sure, old fashioned gearbox, but on the whole a viable competitor in its class.

But we bet that most of you will never have the dilemma which car you should choose in this price range…

Thanks to @Lanson for the car!

5 Likes

Awesome! Yeah the car is supposed to have a Bentley Continental GT vibe: never relenting on comfort no matter the pace.

I dreamt the THETA brand up when I was trying to visualize what luxury means if it’s not about the ego, and instead about true peace and tranquility within a car cabin. I can’t adequately demonstrate the characteristics in Automation yet, but the goals:
[hide=Summary]
*Every aspect of the car is tuned to be pleasant or soothing, or even healing where possible. - Even door chimes at Solfeggio harmonics are thought of.
*All irritating sounds and vibrations are cancelled or muted, except for emergency sounds outside
*Each THETA has a concert-grade Dolby Atmos sound system (in Automation I placed speakers at their ideal location and in ideal sizes to replicate the goal) for owners that use music to relax.
*The seats have adjustable accupressure points to relieve pain
And so on. I have an extensive list from the choice of carpet, to the use of Aluminum and steel (for resonance reasons), and all sorts of “lore” that I’ve planned for the THETA cars.

[/hide]

About the 6 speed (the engineering decision and why) [hide=Summary] The question keeps getting asked, why 6-speeds. For some reason with the way the torque curve is set up with those twin turbos, any more gears in the box made for a slower car, by a few tenths. I suppose when we get full gear ratio control in Automation one day, I could chuck in a tall final ratio. [/hide]

I appreciate the constructive criticism here and the way it was presented. You have a great way of getting the reader to feel the intent of the car. Thanks for letting me be a part of that!

1 Like

Yes, and don’t get me wrong, I liked the car and it was interesting to take a look at. However, the review kind of proved to myself why I don’t really like to review cars like this (at least not way too often). They tend to be similar to review. “Everything about this car rocks!!! Oh…the economy. Yes that sucks. Anyway it gets a great grade but…yeah you can’t afford it anyway”

4 Likes

Right, understood! Well I’ve got plenty of more economcal, more traditional cars (some with interiors) so after a bunch of others get a chance to be in your mag, I’ll submit one of my IKIGAI models which are affordable, balanced, economcal, etc.

Thanks again!

BTW specs for the L400 are in my spec database thread if anybody wants to load their cars for comparison

I don’t understand anything about fuel economy at all.
I think it deserves 5 stars.
I can also send my car if you interested, and if it doesn’t become a huge job for you.
It’s the same class of car and this sedan has the same fuel economy of 10.8 litres 21.8 mpg.
But overall, I agree that in many places the review was like a comment.

REPRINT FROM #21 1985
COMPARISION TEST: SAARLAND ZANDVOORT ES vs. AXUUS SABRE SE

OLD VS NEW

The Saarland Zandvoort (green car) still looks sleek, but it’s clearly showing its age compared to the futuristic Axuus Sabre (red car).

They say that a car is never as good as the day it goes out of production. That might be true for the Saarland Zandvoort ES. It has been on the market since 1978 and the 1986 model will be the last. Over the years it has improved with things like electronic fuel injection, and for 1986 it even has recieved ABS and a new computer controlled 4 speed automatic - not bad!

On the other hand, you will still get an “old” car. New on the market for about the same price is the Axuus Sabre SE. Still, on paper it seems like it has its drawbacks - because it is probably more of a competitor to the smaller Saarland Pfarrer ES. On the other hand, since the price is a closer match to the larger Zandvoort, this comparision is interesting. Is it worth paying for getting a more modern car, and accept that you will get, like in this case, a smaller and less powerful car? Read further to get the verdict.

DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS
If you expect the Saarland to drive like a sports car, you will be a little bit disappointed. The handling is secure, predictable, and the plowing of the very heavy front end is not as bad as one could imagine. But when it comes to cornering, it is beaten by more modern cars. Values of 0.86 G on the small skidpad and 0.81 G on the large one is by no means impressive by the standards of today. It feels obvious that this vehicle is meant to go fast forward on the Autobahn rather than being a blast on twisty back roads.

Also, RWD, a light tail and open differential might be a drawback in slippery conditions - which we have a lot of here in the country. A good set of studded snow tyres might be a wise investment.

Brakes are fair. 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS, stops in 41.3 metres from 100 km/h, not a bad value, but we have seen better. They show a slight amount of fading when driven very hard - but by no means could it be called disastrous.

Around town, the size gives it a drawback against the Axuus, but the power steering means that it is still not a struggle to, for example, parallell park in a tight spot.

Stepping from the Saarland and into the Axuus clearly shows how 8 years of car development makes a difference. The strut suspension system up front is similar to the one on the Saarland - but semi trailing arms in the rear are a benefit over the simple, coil sprung solid axle the Saarland has. It is a way more agile, way more fun car to drive. It corners better - 0.92 G on the small skidpad, 0.9 G on the large one. At slow speeds, one can feel that it is a bit more tail happy than the Saarland, but a limited slip differential and remarkably better weight distribution keeps wheelspin under control.

Like the Saarland, the Axuus uses vented discs up front but only drum brakes in the rear, which might seem a little bit old fashioned. However, it stops in only 37.4 metres from 100, an excellent value, and the brake fade is less evident than in the Saarland. Lower weight might be the key to this. ABS is standard equipment.

For city driving, the smaller size gives the Axuus an advantage too. Like the Saarland, it has power steering, thanks for that.

VERDICT: Saarland:*** / Axuus:*****

PERFORMANCE
The Saarland is heavier but has a more modern transmission, as well as a 51 hp advantage. So, which one is faster? The Saarland, by a large margin. Top speed is 217 km/h compared to 190 for the Axuus. While the Axuus needs 10.5 seconds to 100, the Saarland only needs 8.94. 80-120 in the Axuus takes 7.2 seconds while the Saarland only needs 5.52 - important seconds for safe overtaking. Quartermile is done in 16.75 seconds for the Saarland - almost a second faster than the Axuus at 17.7.

Performance wise, the Axuus haven’t got a chance against the Saarland.

VERDICT: Saarland:**** / Axuus:***

COMFORT
The Saarland Zandvoort has never been touted as a sports coupé but rather as a comfortable highway cruiser for 4. Generally, that statement is also true. The ride is by no means comparable to a luxury car, but springs and dampers are tuned for comfort and soaks up the bumps well. 70 profile tyres does indeed help too. There is four rather comfortable bucket seats (nothing like the best on the market, but still has nice support for your back), and it is fairly well insulated from road noise, and the engine runs smooth, but you can still hear an amount of exhaust noise that can be tiresome in the long run. Also, the brake pedal is a little more stiff than we would have liked.

The Axuus is far less focused on comfort. Stiff suspension and 60 profile tyres gives a harsh ride compared to the Saarland. Front seats are at least rather comfortable but the rear seat is a hard bench that will be a penalty in the long run. But it is remarkably quiet - more so than the Saarland, actually. Like the Saarland, brakes are a bit tiresome in the long run.

In theory the Saarland only fits 4 but the Axuus fits 5. The difference is that while the Saarland is perfectly comfortable for 4, the Axuus is to be seen as a 2 seater for all but the short trips. The Saarland is also roomier - surprisingly roomy both for luggage and passengers for being a coupé - but that is also logical, being the larger car. The rear hatchback gives flexibility to both of the cars, and somehow compensates for the obvious drawback of having only two side doors. Sure, cars in this class is nothing you will buy for practical reasons - but it could be said that both of the cars are among the better coupés on the market in this area.

VERDICT: Saarland:** / Axuus:**

EQUIPMENT AND INTERIOR
Both cars are equipped with more gizmos than usual. Velour interior, electric windows and mirrors, leather wrapped steering wheels, power steering, central locking, anti lock brakes, alloy wheels - standard. The stereo system is a rather average tape deck in both of the cars - and the sound is rather similar too. And while none of the cars could be said to have an interior that matches the finest luxury cars on the market, they give an air of niceness and do feel well thought out in both of the cars. The Saarland has a sunroof, the Axuus has a limited slip differential - other than that, the cars could be seen as similar.

The interior of the Saarland is clearly a product of the 70s - but still holds up today. Steering wheel is leather wrapped, but lacks the airbag of the Axuus.

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
The Saarland HICAM inline 6 cylinder is 20 years old at the moment, and one would imagine that it has fallen behind more modern competitors. And maybe it has, it is a heavy, loud cast iron lump with a primitive direct acting OHC setup. However, EFI has made it more modern in later years. In its 3 litre version it puts out 181 hp at 6000 RPM, it runs smooth, has acceptable low end grunt even if its peak torque of 260 Nm is reached at a rather high 3600 RPM. It is not ready for retirement yet.

Better then is the automatic gearbox - in fact, one of the better on the market. It is controlled by a microcomputer, has 4 gears and lockup. With autoboxes like this, it should almost be questioned why someone would want a manual.

The all new 2.5 litre V6 of the Axuus makes one wonder what “evolution” means. It could not really be seen as more modern than the Saarland inline six - in fact, it uses pushrods and a single point injection system. It lacks the low end grunt of the Saarland, but still has a rather flat and nice torque curve. Maximum power of 130 hp is reached at 5700 RPM, torque peaks at 191 Nm when you reach 3900 RPM. It runs quieter, but being a V6, far from as smooth as the inline six of the Saarland. Could we call it better than the HICAM inline 6 with its roots in 1966? No.

The gearbox is another chapter - the Axuus has an old fashioned three speed autobox, no computer control, no lockup. On par with many competitors maybe, but Saarland has shown the way here so now others just have to follow that path, or lag behind.

What’s hiding under there? In the case of the Saarland it is a 3 litre inline six, in the case of the Axuus it is a 2.5 litre V6.

QUALITY AND RELIABILITY
To put it this way - to get this much car for your money, you have to cut corners somewhere. Neither the Saarland, nor the Axuus can reach the same levels of build quality as some of the more expensive competitors. With that said, both cars still offer acceptable levels of build quality and the predicted reliability is about average. We still want to give the Axuus a slight advantage, though. It seems to be slightly better built, and is also better protected against rust.

VERDICT: Saarland:*** / Axuus:***

ECONOMY
Both cars are kind of bargains for what you get, $21100 AMU is the sticker price on both the Axuus and the Saarland. At $736.8 it is slightly cheaper to service the Axuus ($824 for the Saarland) but in none of the cases it could be seen as a disaster. However, the Axuus is thirsty. 16.2 litres per 100 km compared to 11.2 for the Saarland. Probably the more modern fuel injection and gearbox of the Saarland is the answer here, because that’s rather good fuel economy for a 6 cylinder car this size with an autobox.

VERDICT: Saarland:*** / Axuus:**

SAFETY
The Saarland had state of the art safety technology when it was launched in 1978. The more modern Axuus seems to beat it when it comes to safety equipment - for example, it has a drivers side airbag. But in reality, we want to give the edge to the Saarland here. The back seat of the Axuus is rather questionable with no headrests and only lap belts, for example. Also, the sheer size and weight of the Saarland should not be underestimated. It probably still can be seen as one of the safest cars in its class despite its age.

FINAL VERDICT: Saarland: 31/45 - Axuus: 27/45
Is it worth paying the same amount of money to get “less car” but a more modern one? Yes. In case you value driving dynamics and modern looks above everything. If not, the Saarland still stands up more than well against the competition - in fact, we think that it could as well stand strong for some more years and it is a bit sad that production will end after this model year.

The Axuus on the other hand is by no means a bad car - it’s just that the Saarland has a slight edge over it in most of the areas. But it feels more modern, agile and nimble to drive, which is a point to consider. Other than that, being more expensive to run and having the same sticker price, most of the advantages with a smaller car are evened out there.

But in the end, it should be said that if you buy an Axuus, you get good value for your money, while the Saarland is simply a bargain.

Thanks to @DuceTheTruth100 for the Axuus.

Also, it should be said that the reason for doing this review is that Duce said that it was the Saarland that inspired him to doing the Axuus, so we thought that they could be fun to compare. I have tried to treat the cars as fairly as possible - but in this case, the Saarland was actually marginally better at most things - giving it a higher score. By no means do I try to bump up my own car to a higher score than it deserves.

(Also, excuse flipped RHD interior pic, lol.)

7 Likes

Damn, now I also saw that I forgot to change the pedal arrangement to automatic…OK, new interior pic absolutely coming in… :rofl:

1 Like