Trafikjournalen (Test: 1955 TORSHALLA POESY KOMBI)

When it’s down to real life issues and emergencies, really who gives a damn about the games and communities in them. Especially if they’re being negative about you. Take this advice from one of the most hated players in this community.
Take the time to be with your grandfather. For everything we always wish for the best. Be there for them for better or for worse.
The game will still be here for whenever you are ready to take on the madness that is the Automation community.
I already lost all of my grandparents and nearly lost my dad and uncle to pneumonia.

3 Likes

Well, it’s not that I feel even a little bit sorry for this, at 35 I don’t let a computergame dictate my life, just that I want to give an explanation why I don’t want someone to stress me about this now. Sooner or later I’ll be back to doing this anyway.

3 Likes

Hey, you do what you have to do. When it comes to family, spend time with them, because you never know how much of that time you have left. I had a bit of a scare a couple months ago with my 63 year old father and COVID (high blood pressure, pneumonia, and (thankfully) the most mild of mild strokes), and it scared the living hell out of me.

Cancer is an evil bitch. I hope that one day, we will have a cure for it and not just treatments for the symptoms, or treatments that can stop it, but are just as bad for us as it is for the cancer cells.

I hope your grandfather can pull through, and you take all the time you need to spend with him, no matter which way this goes. Family should always come first, and anyone who says otherwise can go get stuffed.

4 Likes

Yeah, but on the other hand, he is 81 and fact is, if it wasn’t this, it would be something else sooner or later (and probably not later), at that age you are living on borrowed time anyway. It has just been sad to see him in such pain. But I got some relief now since he is home from the hospital and in much better shape. Turns out that lots of the pain was caused by constipation because of his morphine pills, that turned into ileus. I honestly thought that it was a matter of days now, considering that it has been spreading to liver and lungs, and that he had such severe pain in those regions, now I have hope for some more time which is calming me down.

I know that this is the end anyway, but as I said, I try to be rational and accept that at 81, it is the end any way you look at it (I started to understand it five years ago when he had to do bypass surgery after trying to lift some truck wheels by hand all by himself, and yes, I know that I have the genes that will make me do the exact same stupid things when I get old just out of pure grumpiness, lol), and at least I am satisfied that his mind is still in good health because dementia is really nothing to wish even your worst enemies.

But as I said, I am just writing this because I rather make people understand here why I don’t have either the time or inspiration to review anything that is sent to me, rather than telling someone in anger to piss off via PM when I get a “when will you review my car” in my inbox at the wrong time… Not because I think anyone won’t accept my decision, or to seek any attention.

8 Likes

I am relieved to hear he is in better shape. I hope you both do good and I hope your grandpa gets more better soon. Take care of him and yourself. Nothing is more important than family.

2 Likes

REPRINT FROM #19 1980
USED CAR REVIEW: HESSENBURG C200 1700E

BARGAIN BEATER

The C200 Hessenburg has been more or less forgotten at the used car market. Good for you - it means that you can find a bargain.

We know that many of our readers - maybe you? - is looking to find a second car for their household. As much car as possible without breaking the bank. Sure, that will send us around 10 years back in time, a new car is probably out of reach. And among the cars that were made 10 years ago, one is standing out as very interesting in that crowd. The Hessenburg C200.

Now, we know that you are probably skeptical, but the car in itself was better than its reputation. Keep in mind, it came out when everyone was convinced that the rear engine layout was a dying breed (and well, in the end they were right too). That may have made the C200 kind of a lukewarm success but it is absolutely not a reason why you could not buy one today. Instead, it has lead to the prices being low for what you actually get.

The C200 may not be the most fun or inspiring car to drive, but despite its RR layout, it is decently stable on the road, and it doesn’t have the oversteering tendencies plaguing many other cars with the same layout. It doesn’t like being pushed hard, but that’s probably not the reason for buying it anyway. It offers decent comfort and is easy enough to drive, considering its age. For being a light car with 83 hp, however, it should be said that neither the performance nor the economy is any impressive when judged by modern standards, despite our test example being a fuel injected version.

It’s also not the roomiest car around - obviously because of its compact outer dimensions, but more modern competitors are better packaged. Safety is on par with the average car of the era - not up to moden standards but way ahead of some of the horrifying examples that was still around back then.

So, by the standards that we will expect in the 80s, the C200 series with origins from the 60s is of course a rather mediocre car. But the fact that it offers an “average” car for a lower than average price makes it a bargain if you need a cheap beater or a second car for your family. Also, parts and servicing are not a nightmare, but as stated earlier, the fuel economy is not up to modern standards. Still, a C200 can give cheap motoring today. Also, its 1.7 litre flat 4 will run forever, if being cared for, and since Hessenburg galvanized the body structure, it is more well protected from rust than many competitors. There are no typical faults or traps to fall into. We don’t say that the C200 is flawless - no car is - but if you find a lemon, you will usually notice that.

We dare to say that the 1968-76 C200 is a brilliant buy if you are looking for a cheap and useful allrounder today. Especially in its 1971 and later fuel injected variety.

Thanks to @BannedByAndroid for the car!

8 Likes

AYYYY HE’S BACK LETS GO!
ps. hope your grandfather’s okay :slight_smile:

Not really “back”. I am reviewing what’s left in the queue whenever I feel like doing it. And yes, he’s better. Frankly, he was so bad when he got into the hospital last week so I thought that it was only a matter of days, but since he is moving now I have calmed down a bit. Might open for new reviews again if he stays in decent shape and I feel that I have time.

Also, the rear fenders of the Packard was still in the paintshop after waiting very long, might sound like a bad joke but the owner is a very skilled painter, but unfortunately even better at drinking and has barely even been there in the last week, we had to get them from there and take them to another paintshop because this can’t wait anymore. So it really has been a struggle with that too. Now the fenders are painted and the next big thing to solve is to get matching leather for the upholstery to the backrest. Why? Because the rest of the upholstery is done but due to Covid the upholstery for the backrest was stuck in Finland at the upholsterer. Now when we can go to Finland again, it turned out that the upholsterer died and that the relatives now had thrown away everything that still was left at the shop some weeks ago, including the upholstery for the Packard backrest… :persevere:

So it has been quite a struggle with helping him finishing the Packard too, it would be too sad if it would trip at the finish line with the project of his life…

7 Likes

o-oh.

well, fuck. i don’t really know what to say, sorry.

REPRINT FROM #4 1985
REVIEW OF HESSENBURG 2000 RSi 16v

SPORTY COMPACT FOR ADULTS

Hessenburg calls the notchback 2000 a sporty coupé. 2 door sedan is more what we think of it, but the styling is clean, crisp and well proportioned in our opinion.

A paintjob as white as snow, some discrete alloy wheels, a small front spoiler and an equally small one in the rear. And of course, the RSi 16V badge in the grille. Here, you won’t find any neon colours, wild graphics, popup headlights, oversized TURBO badging (not that the RSi 16V even has a turbo, but you probably understand what we mean anyway), Hessenburg has an almost teutonic approach to building sporty compacts. “Good” says people that is still interested in performance without wanting a disco on wheels. “Boring” in the opinion of some other people. But the car in itself is far from boring, but can it offer anything more than fun?

DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS
Sticky low profile rubber on light alloys will keep the car planted to the road. On the skidpad it manages 1.01 G which is a good value. As the front wheel drive car it is, it offers stable handling but also understeering, maybe more than we would like. The amount of wheelspin and torque steering is not alarming, even if it’s present. Brakes are excellent anyway. Standard ABS, vented discs up front and short stopping distances (35 metres from 100). Fading is almost non-existant.

City driving is a joy with the Hessenburg. Small dimensions and power steering of the variable ratio type means that parallell parking, as an example, is an easy job for its driver.

Hessenburg has not completely eliminated some of the drawbacks the front wheel drive layout has, but believe us, it is pretty close to a 5 star rating here.

VERDICT: ****

PERFORMANCE
The first generation RSi more or less redefined what “performance” meant in a small car overnight. The current generation is almost scary fast for such a compact car. 0-100 takes only 7.62 seconds, 80-120 5.04 seconds and the quartermile 15.66 seconds. It tops out at 215 km/h. Convincing enough?

VERDICT: *****

COMFORT
As the sporty car it is, the suspension is set up quite firm. The seats are nothing special, and lacks some side bolstering one would have liked. The contoured back seat improves seating comfort for rear seat passengers though.

The engine has some growl but not the amount that some so called “sporty” cars has. Sound insulation is average for its class and the engine is somewhat revvy at highway speeds.

VERDICT: **

ROOMINESS & PRACTICALITY
2 doors and 4 seats, the question is how you look at the car, normal for a sporty coupé, a bit less great for a family sedan. The luggage space is not really suited for a large family, but the interior space is decent. Notchback styling with a small lid means that loading is harder and flexibility compromised, compared to a hatchback. At least the load capacity is good for its class.

Stumpy rear end does not fit any huge amounts of luggage.

EQUIPMENT
Variable ratio steering, alloy wheels and ABS are positive surprises. Other than that the level of equipment is quite normal for its class. The interior has a tweed upholstery that has the word “regular” written all over it, and of course carpeting on the floor, other than that it is lots of black plastics, not fancy but functional. You got everything you need though, like a clock, interval wipers, remote mirrors and a rather average sound system with FM radio and tape player.

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
Some years ago, this engine would have been formula 1 technology. Double overhead camshafts, 4 valves per cylinder, fuel injection and separate runners. The 1798 cc inline four is made of cast iron, with an alloy head, and has a power output of 138 hp. Sure, at idle it is a bit rough but it doesn’t need that much of revving to run reasonably smooth. But it is obvious that it is meant for sporty driving rather than relaxed cruising.

It is mated to a slick 5 speed gearbox that is a joy to shift. Spacing is maybe a bit wide to get that “sporty” feeling but in reality it works well. A welcome addition in a light car with a relatively powerful engine is the limited slip differential.

QUALITY AND RELIABILITY
Predicted reliability is relatively high. Earlier Hessenburgs have been good and there is no reason why this one should not be it too. It also appears to be decently well built. The protection against rust is among the best in its class too.

ECONOMY
Small does not mean economical in this case. $24200 AMU for a car this size is not cheap. Even more worrying is the service costs at $1001.10 AMU. It also gulps quite an amount of fuel, 10.7 litres per 100 km. Positive, however, is that second hand values probably will be high.

SAFETY
Not every small car is a deathtrap. The Hessenburg has a well engineered bodyshell combined with the latest in equipment such as a drivers side airbag and pretensioning seatbelts. US government crash testing was recently passed with flying colours. In a crash against a larger car, however, size might handicap it a bit, but it is absolutely among the safest cars in its class.

FINAL VERDICT: 32/45
It’s hard not to like the Hessenburg. The few drawbacks it has is hard to avoid when building a sporty compact car. But in every important area, it shines. It is aimed at people that actually wants a driver’s car, but that does not care for or even want war paint. Simply put, this is the sporty compact for grown ups. A “mature” car for its class.

But it comes at a cost, it’s not cheap to buy, to own or to drive, and that should probably be kept in mind before buying.

11 Likes

A very voracious engine. 10.7 liters per hundred kilometers on the highway, as we know, this is not in any framework. Given the fact that the Euro - 6 standard has appeared, this engine, moreover, may not be cleanly for ecology. Ecological issues are now not far in the last place, these are not the times of the 1970s, when the Americans built musculcars, now the situation has become much worse, and according to recent reports, the ice in Greenland began to melt due to the first rains.

In addition, electric cars are becoming more numerous and more real in our world, so most likely, from internal combustion engines — steam locomotives on the road — will begin to be rejecting. According to my information, machines emit 75% of harmful heat, compared to factories, they account for the remaining 25%.

By itself, this car is good for reason of its powerful engine, but at the same time, as you say, it car is ideal for parallel parking, but I have my own opinion, according to which even in sports cars you can park carefully if you learn. And this despite the fact that this cars have a power unit capacity of 400 horsepower!

Nowadays, everyone is well acquainted with cars because of globalization and computer games, so for a person, a car has ceased to be reckoned something exotic. Accordingly, there are become much more drivers with a great driving skill, and parking itself don’t must be a problem.

My verdict of the car:

It consumes too much gasoline, up to 20 liters in the city, for this reason it is bad as a favorite car for taxi drivers.

As a family car, it is suitable only for parents whose family has just had children, and its coupe-shaped orientation makes it extremely unsuitable for adults. But it is definitely better than the Volkswagen Beetle, which was too small for its shock time.

Conclusion: The car is suitable for adults, as an intermediate car that will ever have to be sold to novice drivers, and this car definitely bad for taxi drivers.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that by nature this car is absolutely not suitable for the beautification of an apartment/own house, because the sedan body with such a small trunk will not allow to transport the basic necessary things for building, what means that the way to hardware shops is almost completely closed for this car.

Keep in mind that this is supposed to be a review from the 80s of a car from the same era. Nobody had heard about Euro 6 or self-parking cars in the 80s. Electric cars back then were glorified mobility scooters.

And I think that it is quite clear that the car is not suited as neither a taxi or for anyone that is needing it to transport things to restore his house or apartment. Myself, I drive a Nissan pickup, THAT is a suitable vehicle for transporting goods from the hardware store. But absolutely not a sporty compact car.

I think that this vehicle is supposed to be very much inspired by the Volkswagen Jetta coupé GTX. That was hardly the choice for taxi drivers in the 80s either, nor was it seen as the most suitable vehicle for transporting goods (one difference is that the Mk2 Jetta actually had huge trunk space for its size while this one does not). It was aimed as a completely different market.

8 Likes

Since the family situation has calmed down, I open this up again as long as it stays that way.

7 Likes

REPRINT FROM #2 2005
REVIEW OF HAYAKU SJ

WHEN FUNCTION DICTATES FORM

With a length of only 390 cm, the SJ is of course right at home in situations like this. But is it anything more than just a city runabout?

For many years, small cars were nothing but small. On the outside, but also on the inside. But in the late 90s something happened. A new generation small cars came out, where the manufacturers had raised the height to accomodate more space. Not a bad idea actually, the footprint might be a critical point in crowded areas while the sky does not limit the height of a car by very much. Of course, it can only be done to a limit, and a higher body might have worse coefficient of drag, and make for a more “tippy” handling. But how well have Hayaku succeeded with the compromise in their new SJ model?

DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS
To start with, as a city runabout, it is of course perfect. A length of only 390 cm combined with small overhangs and power steering (albeit of the old school hydraulic non-variable type) makes it an incredible easy car to drive.

When pushed harder, it’s a positive surprise. Of course, as the remarkably un-sporty FWD car it is, understeering is present but not at an annoying amount. The skidpad rating is an acceptable 0.85G, and the wheelspin and torque steer is kept at a minimum. Traction control is standard, but not stability control.

The brakes will stop the car in 43.7 metres from 100 and that’s not too bad, and they can do it multiple times without getting tired at all. ABS is standard equipment.

PERFORMANCE
103 hp is not impressive nowadays and for its size, the car is surprisingly heavy. The automatic transmission will eat some of the power too and 0-100 is done in 12.9 seconds, not impressive by standards of today. More worrying is that 80-120 is done in a sluggish 10.1 seconds, overtaking should be carefully planned. It does 18.67 second times on the quartermile and tops out at 185 km/h, not impressive but also less important.

COMFORT
Suspension setup is firm but not hard. Seating comfort is about what one could expect in this class, as well as the sound insulation. Tyre noise is kept at a low level but the growl from the engine is a bit loud, even if it runs decently smooth for a 4-banger.

ROOMINESS & PRACTICALITY
The Hayaku has a practical bodystyle, no question about it. Great flexibility with 4 doors and a large hatch. Well utilized space with its upright, boxy styling. The room for passengers beats many cars that are much larger, and at 616 litres, the luggage compartment is impressive for a car this size. This is where the Hayaku really shines.

It looks like a chubby little smurf, but interior space rivals larger cars.

EQUIPMENT
The Hayaku indeed has some goodies, like traction control, ABS, CD and alloy wheels. Other than that it could be seen as a quite normal car for its class. The interior is not exclusive, but functional. Of course some hard plastics but they hold together. A simple AC system, electric mirrors, electric windows up front, central locking, heated front seats and other stuff that we are starting to take for granted is included.

VERDICT: ***

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
For a 4-cylinder, the 1.6 litre unit runs smooth, but is a bit buzzy. 102 hp may be a bit thin nowadays but it has a quite wide and usable power band. It is a DOHC 4 valve unit with VVT, completely out of cast iron. Tech levels on par with what one could expect.

What’s ancient, though, is the 4 gear automatic that does not even feature a lockup. That feels like something that should have been left in the early 90s to be honest, and takes away much of the driving pleasure in this car. Spacing is extremely wide but at the same time it manages to work in this car. Gearing is done with comfort and economy in mind, not sportiness.

QUALITY AND RELIABILITY
The Hayaku is simple in its technology and should be reliable. It appears to be about as well built as the average car, neither less or more. Rust protection is good even if not excellent, the structure is galvanized and should be fine but watch out for surface rust on the body panels in some years.

ECONOMY
$19300 AMU for a new car is not bloody and we predict a relatively good second hand value. There is always a market for a car like this. Not as good is the fuel economy, a car this size should do better than 8.2 litres per 100 km today, but probably the ancient transmission is to blame. At $732.60 AMU the service costs is not extremely low for the kind of car this is either.

SAFETY
The car has a decent, but not excellent, safety package that includes for example dual front airbags, pretensioning setbelts, headrests on all places as well as 3-point belts, and reinforced doors. Some of the latest technology is lacking, like curtain airbags, that means that it will not be able to achieve more than 4 stars in Euro NCAP, and against a larger car the Hayaku will probably be at a disadvantage.

FINAL VERDICT: 28/45
The Hayaku SJ is nothing that an automotive enthusiast will be excited over. But it is a very rational, practical and actually good small car. For basic transportation, maybe one of the better choices. And with the automatic transmission, it is as easy to drive as a bumper car in an amusement park. But we still suggest you to buy it with manual transmission, if you don’t really need or want an automatic. The auto is outdated and with a manual it is better in all kind of ways, except comfort and driveability.

Thanks to @Hilbert for the car!

8 Likes

REPRINT FROM NUMBER 26 1990
FIRST LOOK: HESSENBURG F-4

IS THE FUTURE ALREADY HERE?

There is 20 years separating the green car from the red one. A 1991 F-4 and a 1971 C200. One of them from when Hessenburg was stuck in the past. The other one from a company dictating what we should drive in the future.

Hessenburg. 20 years ago the company that recieved criticism for being stuck in the past with their RR platform. Now they release their futuristic F-4, and what is it really? Not a 2-door but not a real 4-door either. Not a family car, not a sports coupé, hardly a hot hatch. It’s really a new kind of car, with its small suicide doors in the rear, and sporty looks that aren’t purely for form.

Something that it is, though, is a competent performance car. Front wheel drive, but you hardly notice it, being more neutral than most RWD cars we have driven, and with amazing cornering grip. The small inline 4 may feel a bit “meh” to some customers, but how does 212 hp sound from 1.6 litres? Or 20 (!) valves? Do we even need to say that it features turbo and multi point electronic injection? It makes the car sprint to 100 in 5.6 seconds and max out at 250 km/h anyway. Much contributing to this is a large amount of aluminium, keeping the weight down to just under a tonne.

The F-4 is a techfest and eyecandy for the futurists. And at $31100 AMU it might fit in the budget for many of them too. There is of course nothing rational about a purchase, but it showcases what we are going to drive around in tomorrow, and is probably something of a test vehicle for technology we will se in more mainstream Hessenburg vehicles in the future.

6 Likes

What country is Hessenburg from?

And the '78 red car looks pretty cool, would definitely like to drive!!

Germany, I think, right so @BannedByAndroid ?

2 Likes

Yup.

REPRINT FROM #12 2020
TEST DRIVE: FWM ASPEN

IS THE ASPEN STILL WORTH BUYING?

The FWM Aspen has been around for some years now, but is that necessarily a bad thing?

Eight years. Just a blink of an eye in the history of mankind, but when it comes to car model generations, eight years means that you are one of the seniors on the market. FWM Aspen is one of the seniors. Originally released in 2012, it has been around for a while, and since it was even a while ago when we last test drove one, we thought that it could be time for a check how well the car is holding its promises nowadays.

Design wise the FWM has some very personal style to it. “Stubby and chubby” as someone described it, well, it’s actually not even 4.4 metres long so there is some truth in that. But that does not mean that the FWM is unpleasant to the eyes, and styling does not feel terribly dated either.

For its compact size, the FWM is heavy, though. 1826 kilograms - where did all of them go? But FWM compensates with a 368 hp V8 - compensation enough if you ask us. 4.9 seconds to 100 and a 300 km/h top speed are stats that is talking for themselves.

Of course, handling is amazing, so are the brakes, the underpinnings are still sharp despite their age. The age also means that all bugs are sorted out by now so the FWM would be a quite reliable car. And updates with the latest safety technology means that it will pass all crash tests known to mankind with flying colours.

But drawbacks? You bet. It is not the roomiest family car, or the most practical, the most comfortable or the most economical to own. You simply won’t buy the Aspen for rational reasons (even if chances are that you’re trying to tell yourself that).

Still, it is a very good compromise between the need for some space and practicality, and the lust for speed. It fills an important role on the market, and is by no means outdated in 2020.

The price for respecting thy elders is $59500 AMU.

Thanks to @Vena.Sera423 for the car!

8 Likes

Thanks for the review!
There is a reason why the FWM slogan is “For the Spirited Driver in All of Us.”

2 Likes