Two-Trim Challenge 2: Brothers in Control Arms [CLOSED]

youre making 2 variations on the same car, and submitting 2 different files

1 Like

It’s in the shorter version of the brief: two different trims of the same car

I have a couple prepped but they’re pretty low on power and comfort. Debating on doing some more engineering - tricky with the lower price range.

2 Likes

> I’m not sure if my entries will be fast or comfy enough (at least compared to a Vette), but we’ll see how it goes. Smaller footprint I suppose. Sidenote - the name is not a misspelling, it’s a word I made up combining Canada and katana.

Torrent Motors introduces the new Rapid sports coupe for the 1961 model year. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 4 or a 3.6L inline 6, the small coupes offer a simple lightweight package with a focus on sporty driving dynamics and fuel economy.

1961 Torrent Kanata i4

In it’s most basic form, the Rapid is powered by an inline 4 with 100hp and 135 lb/ft of torque. It’s Jaguar inspired exterior looks feature minimal chrome accents, and a simple, minimalist interior focuses on driver involvement with room for 2 + 2 passengers. A 116mph top speed and 11.5 second run to 60mph won’t break records, but it’s almost 24 miles to gallon of gas ensures you’re out to play for longer without stopping.

1961 Torrent Kanata i6S

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the i6S model is powered by a 3.6L inline 6 making 151hp and 175 lb/ft of torque. This livens up the performance with a sub-9 second run to 60 and a 130mph top speed. In it’s highest level spec, the exterior is redressed with more chrome, rear fog lamps, quad exhaust pipes, deluxe aluminum hubcaps, hood vents, a contrasting colour removable roof, and a chrome grille with driving lamps.

5 Likes

1961 Malva Betula 1600 S Coupe, Malva Betula 1600 S Rally

’’

How about a small european sports coupe? The top of the line S Coupe or the no frills rally version?

Gallery

Clip

Betula Rally - YouTube

4 Likes

RENNER Cannonball 2000 & 3000

Rear engined sportish cars like Ledwincka intended
As you probably guessed, they have a 2-liter boxer 4 and a 3-liter boxer 6. Both got Webers so they are some thirsty buggers, but they should work fine most of the time.

The 2000 got just over 100 hp, for a 0-60 of less than 10 seconds. The 3000 doesn’t quite make 160 hp, but it does edge past 210 km/h.
No, you ain’t seen nothing like them before.

2 Likes
One Week Remains

Complete submissions from:
@Ludvig
@Riley
@crwpitman1

Ad but no .car:
@Ch_Flash

Neither but I know you’re out there:
@mart1n2005
@ldub0775

Plenty of time remains, just a heads up to participants.

4 Likes

1961 Knightwick Sabre Sprint and Kestrel coupe

Launched in 1960 the Sabre was the latest sports roadster from Knightwick, it was the first unibody all steel construction sports car from the company.
The base engine was a 1590cc four cylinder however the sprint model changes that to a 2384cc inline six that is imported from Knightwick Australia’s manufacturing plant.

The sprint was a more sporting and lightweight model than the standard four cylinder. It offered a 96bhp six cylinder with a four speed manual gearbox. The front brakes are changed from drums to discs, wider tyres are fitted as is a sports orientated interior with racing style seats and a wood rimmed steering wheel.

The Kestrel coupe is both a more luxurious model and also offers high performance for the real GT buyer.
The engine is a 265ci V8 from the Valiant motor company in America with a longer ratio four speed gearbox and clutch pack limited slip differential to keep the power going to the road.

5 Likes

1961 Milano Drago Spider 2500 & Sprint 3000

Small, light and fun to toss around, the 1961 Drago is sure to bring a smile to your face, in whichever trim you might choose. The Spider 2500 sports a 127 horsepower 2.5 litre four cylinder, paired to a four-speed manual gearbox. The Sprint performance trim adds rear disc brakes, improved cooling, Cibie driving lights, a five-speed transmission, clutch-type LSD and increased engine power to 163 hp for the 3 litre inline-six engine.

6 Likes

Always happy to see a Tatra body put to good use. Lovely work, as usual. IMO, modeling those bodies with split windshields needs the 2d skin overridden; it’s way too curved top to bottom.

(Cannonball, uh… 5900?)

3 Likes

Schultz Pheren 418M & 627M

A couple of compact coupes.

2 Likes
Submissions Update 2

@Ludvig
@Riley
@crwpitman1
@Danicoptero
@the-chowi
@Ch_Flash

Ad but no .car:
@mart1n2005

If you submitted before the first alert we’ve gone over any issues with the cars. If you submitted after, I forgot to check them over my weekend so I’ll have to do it tonight or tomorrow.

Good shout. I’ll send it to you later on today

1 Like

1961 TSC Thunderclaw

Now available in two flavors: mild Speed Six or wild Speed Eight!

Left: Speed Eight - 225bhp 5.0l V8, clutched LSD, 4-wheel disc brakes, premium interior w/AM radio, all from 13,970 AMU.
Right: Speed Six - 140bhp 3.6L I6, open diff, discs front/drums rear, standard interior and AM radio, starting from 9,999 AMU.

2 Likes
Last Call

@Ludvig
@Riley
@crwpitman1
@Danicoptero
@the-chowi
@Ch_Flash
@abg7
@mart1n2005

All of you are rules legal. Any submissions made between now, and the end of 8/12 (anywhere on earth) will not be receiving a pre-check. The next post will be to close submissions, and then a somewhat arduous review process will begin, meaning reviews may not be finished for up to two weeks depending on my work and life schedule.

If you submitted and your name is not on here, please reach out so we can correct the error.

3 Likes
speedrun go IEIEIEIE brrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR *shift* MRRRRRRRRRHHHH *shift* HHHHRRRRRRR
Saberin Motori
Soaura 1800 S & Soaura 2000 SO

The Soaura 2000 SO is a fusion of comfort, style and performance. A balanced, high-revving and high-power boxer 4 motor producing nearly 130 horsepower propels you to 60 in a mere 6.7 seconds, while the aerodynamic design allows you to reach speeds of 128 miles per hour, all in a package that allows for a quiet and spirited ride. An engine mounted in the rear ensures peppy handling - and low-profile sports tires back up the feel with figures of nearly a full G on the skidpad. Leather bucket seats keep you comfortable during spirited driving, and a premium radio system keeps you entertained on long drives.

This all comes at a cost - 13,500 AMU - but can you really put a price on happiness?

You’re still here?

We get that not everyone can afford a sports machine, especially of the grade that we produce. Some say it is a watered-down version, but in fact, it comes with its own advantages that the 2000 SO doesn't have. The 1800 S that we talk of is a trim slightly more performance-oriented, or rather, more suited for the track. It doesn't boast the same figures in most speed aspects - it's powered by a 96-horsepower straight-four unit instead of the boxer-4 - but it holds the road similarly well, and weighs less. Less material on the interior means less weight, and less weight is more performance. It's still mighty fast with the engine it has, so if you are willing to save money in exchange for the state of your buttocks - then this vehicle is for you.
(C) 1961 Saberin Motori - Subsidiary of Ilaris Group P.T.O. - Continue legalese somewhere here. It goes on, and on, and on, rights reserved, first amendment invoked, whatever
7 Likes
Submissions Closed
Man and Machine Issue 11: Summer of Sports

The mailbox was always full at the office. Except today. Murphy had emptied it out, ignoring dozens of junk letters about cigarettes and shaving cream and other useless nonsense. They piled up on the desk as he made his way through the pile, finally stopping.

There was a single article he really valued, a full-color issue of Man and Machine, the contemporary automobile magazine. Murphy had heard it was known for honest reviews of a wide variety of cars, and just his luck, this issue was covering summer cars. Starting all the way from his idolized Corvette, it covered an immense range of cars that for the most part, he’d never heard of. But many of them were in his price range, and so one by one, Murphy began clipping out pages.

And with that, submissions are closed.

@Ludvig
@Riley
@crwpitman1
@Danicoptero
@the-chowi
@Ch_Flash
@abg7
@mart1n2005
@moroza & @ldub0775 (ft. @Riley )
@shibusu
@Vento

If you submitted, and do not see yourself here, contact me right away!

Sorry for the repeated pings! Given how much work many of these entries reflect, it felt appropriate to be absolutely sure I had everyone up to date.

6 Likes
6 Likes
NEW Xf! The Xf Cupola!
Two awesome new sports cars!
The Xf Cupola Prem. A premium interior and 2 liter engine! Top speed of 105.6 mph! 23.1 mpg! $9,880!

The Xf Cupola Deluxe! 118.2 mph top speed with a luxury interior! Sport suspenssion! Only $12,700!

Xf Cupola!

More pictures

2 Likes
Magazine Clippings

Stubbing out a cheap cigarette, Murphy cleared his throat. The rough skin on his hands made a sort of scuffing noise as he leafed through the initial magazine clippings.
“We got a few options, Bronson,” he explained, laying them out. All in all, twenty-two cars had caught his sharp eye. “Bear with me.”
Picture by RileyZ
@ldub0775 and @moroza
“The new Edgewater twins! I had no idea an Edgewater was in y- uh, our budget.” Bronson clasped his hands in front of his bushy mustache apologetically.
“Absolutely. And get this, they’re actually some kinda European type sports car. Not so big in the muscle department, but the way they handle…”
Bronson pinned the photo to his corkboard. His dark eyes looked over the plethora of offerings enthusiastically.
“Alright, Murph. Strong start- what’s next?”
@mart1n2005
“Well, to be honest, I had no idea Knightwick did sports cars.”
“Are these sports cars? They look more like… old-man cruisers.”
Murphy grinned, showing yellowed teeth, and thumbed the hood of the cars.
“Yeah, not super intimidating, but under that skin is a lively heart- six or eight cylinders- and the handling to back it up. And on a solid axle, too!”
Bronson nodded, rubbing his clean, dark chin as though he understood what that meant.
“Alright. Guess we can check 'em out.”
He pinned the Knightwicks to his corkboard, folding his arms.
“Am I gonna be impressed with the next one?”
“Probably not,” Murphy admitted.
@Ch_Flash
“Huh. They look a lot sportier than those Knightwicks- look at the extra lights and the crazy hood.”
“Well, that’s actually the cheaper trim.”
Bronson harrumphed.
“That… and they are sorta just not as good as the Knightwicks. They took that idea of low tech, high quality… but it didn’t hit. Saw 'em first, and saved the ad, but…”
[OOC] - The Malva Betula 1600 is not a bad car, and it’s one that braves the solid axle. Unfortunately, despite having a much smaller engine than the Knightwicks, they also do not handle as well. Good stats might have made up for this, but poor performance and unimpressive reliability box them out. That said, they are good looking.
Bronson balled up the copy, feeling a little sad about it. He liked that cream car.
“Well, what’s next?”
@the-chowi
“Wow! Are these Italian?”
“More than you know. They’re not at all reliable, they’re expensive, and they have a high upkeep.”
“Are they fast?”
“…well, yeah. The Sprint 3000 is actually pretty nuts. It’s the fastest car here: to sixty, to the quarter mile, and around corners. It’s a real, proper sports car.”
“We’re test driving them,” Bronson said, snatching the ad out of Murphy’s hands over his protests. He pinned it excitedly to the corkboard. “Next.”
Disgruntled, Murphy pulled out another page.
@Ludvig
“Hey, look at that. Reminds me of those old streamliner type cars.”
“Yeah, for sure.”
“Well, I’m a little mixed about that. What’s under the hood?”
“Real quick acceleration, that’s what. The 3000 is only beaten by… the 3000. But it’s a hell of a lot more reliable.”
“Yeah, but… what would make me buy it, besides that?”
“Not much,” Murphy admitted. “It’s not a comfortable car, and it’s rough around the edges: that acceleration doesn’t mean it’s got a good top speed, and it doesn’t handle well.”
Bronson tossed the ad into the trash.
[OOC] - This is another case of almost, but not quite. The RENNER twins compromise just a bit too much in their chase to do it all. They have above average reliability and acceleration, but flag in handling, comfort, and every other category.
@Danicoptero
“Hm. Well, not the prettiest cars I’ve ever seen.”
“No,” Murphy agreed, “But they’re really sporty-looking, and far from the worst. And that’s a pattern.”
“Huh?” Bronson took a sip of his coffee, curious what Murphy meant.
“Well, they’re on the lower end of the price bracket, but they don’t perform like it. Matter of fact, the 418M is the cheapest car here, and it’s more agile than some cars, and faster than others.”
“Everybody wins? My kind of compromise.”
Bronson pinned the Schultz Pheren pair to the corkboard.
“Let’s grab some air and check the rest of these out later.”
Murphy nodded, patting his shirt pocket and fishing out the red and white box from within.
“Got a lot of good stuff coming.”

Sorry for the delay, folks. Consider this part one of the initial reviews: anyone who can't quite make the cut is getting passed on from here, and we're going through them in alphabetical order. I try to offer a summary of where you came up short for those who do; I will say though, it's a closer race than I expected, and most of you are faster than a minivan!
9 Likes