Vaughn corporation (1986-05 VCV Escapade)

OK, lore is very loose at the moment, but I felt that I wanted another american manufacturer with a kind of different approach than Hillstrom.

So, Vaughn is an american manufacturer, that currently incorporates four divisions.
VALOR - a budget “import fighter” brand released in the 80s.
VAUGHN - it’s main brand, intended for “regular” cars, as well as the more sporty ones.
WRAITH - the luxury car division, originally independent but absorbed into Vaughn due to financial struggle after the great depression.
VCV - The commercial vehicle division.

Will clean up this when I feel like doing it. Look at this new-for-1988 Vaughn Champion Coupé while you are waiting.

6 Likes

I hope this takes off like that :heart: IMO Saturn was a really good idea, killed by traditional GM corp-thinking.

1 Like

I just hope that it does not feel like I am spamming the board with brands?
At least I got rid of Hillstrom…

You can never have too many brands. I lost count at 10-ish.

Good-looking car, my first thought was Pontiac Grand Prix.

Uhm. I forgot that I even had a thread about this brand. I guess I could remake it by now since there has actually been lots of progress regarding this…

2 Likes

It was a great Inspiration for my 1993 not-a-camaro. :slight_smile:

Speaking of which, I’ve recently heard that you’ve made other cars beside that one - so it might be a good idea to give them a thread of their own, just for your creations.

@Knugcab I remember the Champion Coupe from a thread I made earlier - I expect to see a more detailed description of it before long. It’s actually a nice blend of late-80s and early-90s car exterior design trends, and on looks alone, it may well live up to its name.

As for the Vaughn group as a whole, I would like to think of it as a vast conglomerate similar to GM, but potentially with a less troubled past.

1975-81 VAUGHN FIREBOLT

The second generation of the subcompact Vaughn Firebolt was released in 1975. Still riding on the same platform as the 1970 model, the bodies were heavily revised.

Since the “2 door sedan” now had a much more formal roofline, most people would probaby have called it a coupé. The actual coupé on the other hand now went for a fastback styling rather than the old notchback, and added a rear hatch.

Totally unchanged, though, was the Vaughn Waikiki, the “station wagon” that most people probably would have called a hatchback. It was using the bodyshell from 1970 all the way up to the 1981 model year, when the third, front wheel drive, generation of the Firebolt/Waikiki arrived.

As the platform was kept from the 1970 model, the technology was rather conventional. Unibody construction with double wishbone suspension up front and a coil sprung rear axle with torque arm suspension. Recirculating ball type steering, solid disc brakes up front and drums in the rear.

There was three engines available. A 2.4 litre SOHC inline 4, released for the 1970 Firebolt and derived from the late 60s SOHC inline six (that was also available in its 3.8 litre form), and a 4.3 litre variant of the V8 that had been around since 1955. When it came to gearboxes you could choose between a 3 speed auto or 4 speed manual. Multiple trim levels were available, bare bones specs as well as more luxurious or sporty trims.

The second generation Firebolt was produced until the 1981 model year, when the all new third generation was introduced for 1982. A completely new car, with transverse engines and front wheel drive, also spawning a more luxurious version in form of the Wraith Torrevieja.

8 Likes

Thats a nice clean design. Id like to order one with a sport trim, 4speed manual and the 4.3L V-8 option :wink:

1 Like

1975-79 WRAITH NEAPOLITAN

The 1975 Neapolitan was the first attempt ever to build a “smaller” Wraith. Of course, small was relative, since this car still had a wheelbase of almost three metres and a length way over five.

Technology wise, the Neapolitan borrowed heavily from the Vaughn Hierophant and Vaughn Silverbird, which meant a somewhat simpler, leaf sprung rear axle, compared to the coil sprung axle of the larger Wraiths.

(OOC: Yes I see how badly the doorcard is poking out and I have fixed that now)
Engine wise, it had the Wraith OHV V8 that had been around since 1949. In this version, a 350 cubic inch example with a power output of 165 hp. After all, this was the malaise era.

With the 3 speed auto, the only choice of transmission, this meant that the Neapolitan did the 0-100 sprint in 12.2 seconds and had a top speed of 185 km/h. Not terribly bad, after all.

On the inside, the car was worthy of its Wraith name. Like other cars from the brand, it was spacious, featured velour or leather upholstery, as well as some tasteful application of wood trim here and there.

And it hardly lacked any luxury features compared to its larger siblings either. Air conditioning, 8 track player, electric windows and mirrors, etc. - all standard.

The first generation Wraith Neapolitan was built until the 1979 model year.

Its 1980 replacement was way more radical, with front wheel drive, a fastback body and a newly developed, smaller, all aluminium V8. Something that may have attracted some customers, scared some, but that’s a story for another time.

6 Likes

That’s a serious competitor for the Globus Grand Cruiser, featuring a lot of love for the detail in a segment where pounds per dollar matter the most.

1 Like

Thanks. I admit that I took some inspiration from the original Seville, but hey, that one was as much of a hit as its successor was a flop… (My aunt didn’t care and still bought a second gen bustleback Seville, haha)

The inspirations made sense, as those REALLY big clunkers quickly declined by the mid-70s, and buyers looked at smaller cars offering competetive interiors while being more practical and efficient. My Globus Brand almost died from that by 1980, as their intermediate car was terribly outdated and Imports from the mother company outsold them.
To tell the Globus story, well-made USDM competition like from Vaughns add a lot of context for me.

1 Like

1980-85 VAUGHN HIEROPHANT

Vaughn was a bit late at jumping on the compact car bandwagon. Sure, there was the Vaughn Endura in the early-mid 60s, which was somewhat smaller than models like the El Mirage, but still rather a midsize by the standards of the day. The first real attempt at a compact car was the 1968 Vaughn Hierophant.

In 1980, the third generation Hierophant was released. Not only was it the first Hierophant with front wheel drive, it was also the first Vaughn to use the layout. The engine was mounted transversely, and the car used McPherson struts up front and a torsion beam rear axle.

The first two years, the Hierophant was only available with the 2.4 litre 4-cylinder shared with the Vaughn Firebolt. Complaints about sluggish performance, though, meant that the vehicle got the Wraith sourced, all aluminium “CV6” 90 degree V6 as an option from 1982 on. Hardly much of an improvement performance wise, though. When it came to transmissions, a 3 speed column- or floor shifted auto, or a 4 speed floor shifted manual were the available alternatives.

The available body styles was a 4 door sedan and a 3 door hatchback. Two trim levels were available, the base model STS (sedan) / STC (hatch) and the more luxurious LTS/LTC (shown).

The fourth generation Hierophant, with a more aerodynamic shape, was introduced for the 1985 model year. However, that was not the end for the third generation. For 1985, the old shape STS was still available for fleet sales only.

8 Likes

Delightfully depressing, spot on malaise. I guess the back seat is placed as it is to not interfere with the wheel wells?

2 Likes

As usual, yes. If you cover up rear wheel wells as Automation places them, you’ll end up with a 3-seater…as well as a back seat scratching the rear tyres.

You have been knocking it out with your interior designs lately mate. Good job!

1 Like

1980-85 WRAITH NEAPOLITAN

The Wraith Neapolitan got an update for the 1980 model year. One obvious difference was of course the somewhat odd fastback shape of the new body.

But the fact is that it was an all new car. What might have been considered odd is that it left its unibody platform for a more old-fashioned BOF one, but the reason behind that was that it now shared its platform with the downsized for 1980 Montezuma. Which of course meant that just like the Montezuma, the Neapolitan switched over to front wheel drive for 1980.

Gone was also the old cast iron V8 with its roots in 1949 (still, it was being used in the rear wheel drive Wraiths until the 90s). An all new, all aluminium 4 litre V8 was developed, to better suit the new front wheel drive platform. It was named the “CV8” as in “Compact V8”.

Even if the second generation Neapolitan hardly was a technical marvel, it offered just about any luxury equipment you could think about in 1980.

The second generation Neapolitan was built until 1985. In 1986 it was replaced by a very much downsized third generation, once again switching over to unibody, and now utilizing transverse FWD instead of longitudinal, but that is a story for another time.

7 Likes

Wow, looks like Cadillac SeVille