What are Torque and Horsepower really?

Arse dyno’s, unless very finely calibrated, (lets put it this way, I work with a lot of racers, I trust one of them to give me accurate arse dyno feedback. One) feel the change in acceleration, acceleration squared, effectively. Which is why engines with a broad spread of torque (S2000, RX8), get blasted by idiots on the internet for being torqueless. Because they can’t feel a constant surge, they’re waiting for a kick that never comes.
To the extent that Honda actually deliberately put a dip in the torque with the S2000 so that when it kicked back in again you got to go VTEC YO!

Engines with inconsistant torque curves that suddenly jump up and drop off (big turbo’s, etc), feel fast because the rapid change in the acceleration of the acceleration. Even if they’re not.
I can make your car feel a lot faster with the engine mapping even when it’s actually going slower by putting ramps in the torque curve - a fact many flight-by-night chipping/remap firms exploit.

It’s a shame, you completely disregard diesel engines. Which actually put their “power” as the torque they produce rather than HP which is a lot lower than petrol motors, a 2000lb/ft diesel will blow the doors off any petrol motor on the dyno. even though it could be a 1000HP motor.

No they don’t. Read and look at the various links posted in this thread, you are spewing nonsense.

easy, horsepower is torque times RPM divided by 5252.

I have made a gasoline/petrol engine that has efficiency as good as diesel and a torque curve just as good. Using premium gas.

I also just made a replacement for the factory Cummins 4BT engine, originally 265 TQ at 1600 RPM and 105HP at 2500 RPM.
This gasoline version has 45% more torque at 1600rpm and 140% more HP at 4000RPM. same bore and stroke. nearly same efficiency.

The ultimate video on this topic has now been made :wink: check it out! :slight_smile:
youtu.be/UIQjyn95c-o