Wizard Seeking Car [JUDGING]

I’m guessing the Mythic Motorized Corporation has it’s factory headquarters in Ankn-Morpork? :wink:

If you’ve submitted already as of this post, you can resubmit if you need. I’ve added that cars must not be worse than a 1965 Beetle in any way- or else Harry would just buy a Beetle! FYI, that’s 40 bhp.

Maybe…and, just maybe, the logo could be Binky and his owner! :rofl:

1 Like

You’re gonna need a bigger boat Beetle

Swanson 217 BC
That’s not the model year (1956), but Budget Based Coupe for ya. Forever in the shadow of the considerably more attractive 225, used prices are still low so I’ll be willing to part with it for 4850$. Or whatever you hex me for.
It gets to 60 in less than a 1/4 mile, and I get 26-27 mpg. Big rear hatch for furry friends. Two strong dudes with tools can take it off in 5 minutes, in case you need a Ute.

There's a purple haze around the car when it's in this street. Is this normal?

7 Likes

1980 AMCW Scout Workmate XLC

Selling my AMCW Scout. Full service history, has the inline 6 and not the inline 4. Very spacious interior, 5 speed manual gearbox, gets decent gas mileage. Comes with “military derived” mechanical fuel injection. Radio was replaced with a unit from a 1959 AMCW Scout Family Cargo work truck, so it’s pre-transistor and has the original radio-luminescent paint on the display. New owner must not be allergic to cat hair! $11,100 or best offer. Yes, it’s expensive, but these things last almost forever.

If you are interested, call (Number) and ask for Kadinya.

7 Likes

I did up a couple this weekend and am deciding on which to use - used this body for one.

2 Likes

I really thought this was going to be a meme-fest challenge…in case you hadn’t guessed! :clown_face:

Now you’re all submitting normal cars! :rofl:

4 Likes

If it helps, I’ve got something on the weirder side cooking. (:

3 Likes

This 1962 Pegasus Torpedo may fit Harry’s needs. The Pegasus Torpedo was an import from Eastern Europe - it was a bit old school even for the 60s. This particular example has been well used, and some of the chrome has faded and gone missing, but the last owners replaced the hood and some trim that is yet to be painted. They also added a mild lift for light off-roading (or jumping curbs) and some accessory lights. It has central opening doors and a hatch to fit large cumbersome objects (or creatures). Powered by an 80hp 4 cylinder, it can be yours for just over $8300 (if I did the calculation right).

9 Likes

NOT AN ENTRY - this was the other I was planning. Same idea but more rugged…

5 Likes

For sale:
1965 Cambridge Mite 1500, 60hp 1.5L, four speed, green in color, in good original condition. 68,351 miles, no rust, interior in OK shape, has an AM radio. Good MPG. Lovely little British runabout. Asking only $6134.

6 Likes

1961 Aero Cruiseline - $9,600

Daltorp’s Classic Garage
8345 SW Cirrus Dr,
Beaverton, OR 97008
(503) XXX-XXXX

Condition: No. 2
Wheelbase: 2.0m
Engine: 1.3L Flat-4 (41 hp)
Availability: Available (Hosted by private seller - inspected and verified!)

More info

About the Aero Cruiseline

Aero as a brand has always had this strange fascination with amphibious cars, having turned out with several over the years in spite of what even they admit is a “niche at best” market for them. The Cruiseline was one of their first attempts at full production of these, though compared to its more successful successors it remains relatively unknown in the US.

It’s fitted with a reworked powerboat engine; a low-revving, rear-mounted 1.3L Boxer-4 that makes 41hp. A custom-built transmission sends this power both to the rear wheels and to a set of 2 propellers on the back. The propeller is engaged/disengaged independently of the wheels; by engaging both at the same time, the car can be easily driven right into and out of the water.

The car features a removable fabric top, covering a pleasure-boat-like interior that, while highly lacking in features, has impressively-high build quality. Outside, the car has a very sleek cigarette-boat design that emphasizes its nautical nature; everything of importance (mirrors, lights, etc.) is placed in the top third of the car’s body, leaving the bottom two to be streamlined and hydrodynamic.

Though we should clarify, this car is not fast. It’s very sluggish both on land and in the water. And it can only safely handle very calm waters at that, like lakes and canals. But it’s also very reliable, efficient, and far more livable than you’d expect from a novelty car like this. Plus, its about the cheapest amphibious transport you can get, as it tends to float under the radar of both nautical and classic car enthusiasts.

About this vheicle

This 1961 model was bought in Traverse City, and proceeded to trade hands several times in the region over the next 40 years. The current owner bought it in 2005 for their lakehouse in Bellaire, Michigan, at which point it was already in fairly good condition (No. 3). This owner has had it restored and well maintained since then. While they used to use it regularly, they haven’t had as much time to these days, and have thus decided to sell it.

This vehicle’s engine and exterior are in excellent condition. The body and internals are completely clean, and the interior was just restored in late 2010. The original title is available. This car is in No. 2 show condition, ready for both shows and lakes.

The car is being sold privately by the seller. Call or email us for further information and to get in contact with the seller.

8 Likes

Does it need to be stock? Could I put a ladder frame soviet passenger car on a 4wd truck chassis if I really want to? That’s completely random and not going to do that, but you get the idea.

Harry has to be able to source parts and maintain it; little mods like “the seats are different” is one thing, chassis swaps are another entirely. But, if you want to make a 4x4 car on a truck chassis, that’s been done in real life and would be fine.

2 Likes

1969 Seongu Kando 1.2 SLX

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery…

6 Likes

Submissions are closed! Reviews will be out in a day or two- honestly, I totally forgot, so there will be some undue delay.

6 Likes
The Unfortunates
While looking through cars, Harry's friends spotted a couple that looked good at first, but just didn't quite make the cut for his unique needs.
Bins

The first bin is @Jaimz68 's MMC Rincewind. Unfortunately, the Rincewind simply is not simple enough. Featuring an 8-track player, a 3-speed automatic transmission, and a power steering system, it combines too many advanced things. Its motor is perfectly adequate, and it would be a decent, if somewhat unreliable car otherwise.

Next was the Aero Cruiseline, by @Edsel and a very unusual entry overall. The boat aspect was a little odd but not held against the vehicle, same as the Rincewind. However, it’s a convertible- really not something Harry wants. It also has a locking differential for some reason, and the suspension tuning is… creative. 10k in the front. It’s a pretty good car otherwise, with best in class agility. It’s very unfortunate that the styling of a boat is just a bit too out there- Harry is looking for a car, not a toy. Plus, Harry’s never had good luck with lakes.

Full reviews out tomorrow.
8 Likes

GOD DAMN IT!!! My 2 favourite cars in the challenge…I may be biased on one of those!!! :rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately automatic transmissions and roadsters were explicitly marked out in the rules :sweat_smile: but I did really like both cars… I’ll just say that if they weren’t binned, neither would be last

3 Likes

I did see it discouraged in preferences, but I thought I might get away with it given that the Blue Beetle itself is a convertible in its inspiration photo. Not that I’m complaining, submitting Amphicar was always gonna be quite a gamble. (:

Also, the locking differential is mean to represent the “changeover mechanism” that controls the propellers, and the strong sway bar in the front was to counter rear-engined oversteer.

5 Likes