1 Hour Design Challenge

Inspired from a horrible idea on the Discord.

I propose a simple(ish) design challenge. Create an entire vehicle design in the time frame of one hour or less, with one caveat. Once you place a fixture on the car, you can’t delete it. No 3d fixture cheese to hide the item away, and no microscopic scaling to hide your mistakes.

You can design any car in any era you want, but you have to do the entire design in one hour.

Post images of your car here on this thread, and (optionally) include the .car file publicly for all to see.

How will I enforce this time limit and the no delete rule? I won’t! We’ll use the honor system here. I presume most of you can usually be trusted…

No pre-planning, your timer should start the moment you are able to open the fixtures tab for your chosen vehicle.

Either way, this challenge if you wish to partake is open to all who wish to participate starting immediately, with an indefinite close date. Should be interesting to see what you come up with!

After you’re done, please share any insights not being able to delete gave you about how you think about design, as well as whether or not you’d choose to continue work on your vehicle.

5 Likes

1 hour for design, or for design and engineering?

I’d guess it’s starting a new car then 60 minutes later.

Does that mean that 3D fixtures can’t be used at all (including detailed interiors)?

I bet this applies only to exterior design, and not to trim or engine choices.

3d fixtures are fine, just no hiding them in a different room because you can’t delete.

The challenge is only for exterior design, don’t worry about engineering. Just get it done in under an hour.

3 Likes

Picked a random body.
“Oh please, I hope that it will not look like a Corolla when finished”
Toyota_corolla_wagon_1989 has entered the chat

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

But to be honest, it sort of confirmed what I was thinking, not being able to play with different fixtures would mean a choice of safe cards, easily ending up with a bland looking vehicle like this.

6 Likes

Hey!!..'89 Corollas are pretty cool, definitely a rarity nowadays.

Yeah. I just think that it is pretty hard to use the 90-series Corolla bodies and not end up with a Toyota looking vehicle for some reason. :neutral_face: Despite the morphs being quite generous.

3 Likes

2020 Anthrax Gendarme

Totally not an INEOS Grenadier clone which also is totally not a Land Rover Defender clone.

Done in 45 minutes, give or take

Anthrax_-_Gendarme.car (56.6 KB)

6 Likes

MY57 Proletariat Traveller 221F

The Mk II Traveller was intended for the comrade who ran a fleet of vehicles on behalf of the state…

Here’s a quick mock-up of a mid 50’s Proletariat, designed to service fleet customers and rural clients.