1987 Toyota MR2

What on earth is with that eclectic bastardisation of ethnic symbology on the bonnet? :astonished:

On a somewhat related note let me just crank up Laserhawk…

2 Likes

Toyota was looking to Europe for design cues to spice up the image of the MR2. So they took the eagle and tried to capitalize on the European idea of a sports car. It’s just an icon to try to identify with the lightweight European sports cars of the 60’s/70’s, because that’s more or less the purpose of the AW11. I’ve heard/seen some people call it a phoenix or a firebird. Apparently in true Toyota form the characters “M”, “R”, and “2” are symbolically represented/hidden in there somewhere (but I think this was the later version of the bird, affectionately referred to as the “screaming chicken”)

EDIT: The thing is in the end it has some cheesy figurative meaning that no one really understands. Some speculate that the badge represents “aerodynamic beauty through evolution”

4 Likes

Time for a small but overdue update.

I’ve slowly been picking away at the rust, seems to be worse than I thought in the front wheel wells. I finally got a jack and stands to work under it, but ran into the trouble of the jack not fitting under the front lip. After some hard work, I got the lip off, slide the jack under… and it’s higher than the jack point. I’ll need to get creative this weekend to jack it up.

2 Likes

Or just do as I said and get the wheels onto some wood blocks or something

1 Like

Very good car. But care with the rust.

I have a friend with one, and soon he will let me drive.

Enjoy it!

Another good weekend of work on the MR2. I dismantled most of the interior and some of the exterior to tackle the rust.

I found a lot of snake skins after removing an interior panel.

I also found the the rust around the driver’s side wheel well is worse than anticipated… but around the passenger side isn’t as bad. I could Flintstone it from the driver’s side, but not the passenger side.

7 Likes

No photos of the ninja turkey? :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, that was a very quick thing. I was listening for the ice cream truck getting closer; didn’t expect a wild turkey to come flying out of a bush next time.

1 Like

Most commonly used phrase when describing rust on the MR2 :joy:

5 Likes

I owned an '88 MR2, and a '91, both N/A cars. Loved them. The first gen MR2 is like a go-kart on steroids, but with less wind and 2-cycle smoke. Not the fastest car I’ve ever owned, but the handling is phenomenal, and the sensation of speed is huge. You can’t help but drive with a big smile on, in one of them.

Best of luck fixing yours up! Hope it turns out exactly the way you want it!

1 Like

So bad news with the MR2.

I finally got a professional to look at the chassis, and while it could be fixable, he said it would cost “at least a couple thousand” and so with that, I’ll be parting it out. It was a fun project and I’ve learned a lot from it. Hopefully I’ll be able to get another one later in life and actually drive it.

2 Likes

F
“a couple thousand” is what exactly?
Think of it this way, What would it be worth/valued at if it got repaired?
Looking on Kijiji for MR2s across Ontario, There’s no W10s Listed, Only W20s & a Single W30:
2001 MR2 Convertible for $15000 certified: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-catharines/2001-toyota-mr2-convertible/1344273043?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

1991 MR2 Turbo T-Top for $15700: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/1991-toyota-mr2-turbo-coupe-2-door/1342350689?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

1991 MR2 Project Car for $4500, Runs & Drives but needs Battery & Headlights: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/london/1991-toyota-mr2-coupe-2-door/1323385909?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

1992 MR2 Turbo for $14999: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mississauga-peel-region/1992-mr2-turbo/1332115877?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

1994 MR2 With some Cosmetic Issues, Possible Project for $6000: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/markham-york-region/1994-toyota-mr2-coupe-2-door-3sge-red-top-beams/1344387745?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If that’s the case, you might want to consider an SW20 or ZZW30; it’s generally easier to find serviceable examples of either compared to the AW11.

An AW11 in good condition tends to go for 3-5k on Kijiji when they’re there. Assuming the couple of grand spent on chassis repair, there’s still more rust to deal with (rear arches, mainly) and all the other work. Gets to a point of spending more than the car will be worth.

I’m also still a student and don’t have all the money in the world to spend on it, as much as I’d love to. It’s just best to sell off the parts to go toward keeping other MR2s on the road and maybe look for another one once I’m finished with school and have a stable job.

1 Like

And I bid thee farewell.

The engine will live on in a 1983 Corolla.

4 Likes

Jc what happened to it?

Looks like it was too far gone to save, rust and rot are a real pain.

WTF

1 Like

Yeah, the rot was too bad under the front. All you see in that photo is the one badly rotten arch (cut i cut up a bit), the rest is just glare from the rain. That arch was bondoed by a previous owner and still rotting around it.

wow man it looks great. i love the car. looks sportyish but also elegant.

also how do you make photos? good pictures really. perhaps you have good camera