ADM - 1990 Tulum

Very nice work. Genuine curiosity; why the much lower markup on the coupé? $600 is a lot for two more doors (I do prefer sedans). Were ADM trying to push sales of the coupe?

@stm316 Currently, the Coupé is aimed at the family sport demographic and the saloon to the family premium, and since the former has a highest budget I though I should squeeze them more money :stuck_out_tongue:

Right now, the entry level car is the Villa, and it is only available in a coupé, but for 1970 the new generation will be available in both sedan and coupe, filling that small gap.

The redesigned Qujote is a looker, and well-priced too… It’s going to be a brisk seller for sure. How will its replacement live up to its legacy?

1 Like

Mastin Familiar (facelift) [corporate]–3 trims–[/corporate]

The last car of the 68-69 new lineup of ADM was the renewed Mastin familiar. 2 trims were
offered in the old platform and also a new special off-road edition, which was smaller and better equip for off roading, with a different grill.

The base was the entry level was equipped with just the basic, and the same engine as the Foxhunt L6, the Clase and the off-road were equipped with the same V8 as the Rivera Base, but as the offroad was in the interior basically the same as the base, the Clase was more like a Rivera SUV, with nice and comfortable seats with wood details and a phonograph.

1969 - 1972 Familiar Base

1969 price: $2,503

1969 - 1971 Familiar Clase

1969 price: $4,024

1969 - 1973 Familiar Offroad

1969 price: $2,617

2 Likes

Familiar Offroad looks like the same Familiar was produced for about 30 years and got facelifted in late 80s or early 90s :wink:

1 Like

1970 Villa 3rd Gen

By 1970 it was time to renew the old Villa, and a new generation was presented, incidentally, the last generation of the Villa. Designing wise, the car took some elements from the Familiar off-road, a japanese design and proven technology from the Quijote.

Carrying the now traditional FR setup with solid axle in the back, the car came only with a 3 speed automatic transmission powered by a de-stroked version of the ALU4 engine.

Also, it was the cheapest car ADM has ever sell, the price in 1970 was $1,680, a total bargain.
(market price: 8,640 w/20% markup)

1970 - 1974

6 Likes

Haven’t seen a car from you in a while! This is an excellent return :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome back. The '70 Villa is a great family car by any measure - looks right, priced right and is right.

1 Like

Loving the 70s brown you’re going for there

1 Like

Dude very cool. You have to teach me how you do the engine graphs one day.

1 Like

@phale @DeusExMackia @abg7 Thank! It was a long time indeed, but now I have a new job and I think I’ll be able to find more time to make more cars and stuff, I finally will be able to get closer to more modern times :smile:

@Darkshine5 Whenever you want, it’s very easy once you do the first one :wink:

2 Likes

1970-1974 Pilgrim

By the end of 1969, ADM took out of the market the Quijote Familiar their only wagon model, but in 1970 ADM presented the new Pilgrim, the second model with an non-spanish name.

Trying to move forward with technology, ADM developed a brand new V6 engine (they were to ditch out the L6 design, as it was too long and wasn’t very efficient) with Direct acting over head cams (as the Alu4) placed longitudinally pushing the front wheels. This design allowed the engineers to put most of the weight in the driving wheels and the engine was behind the front axle, giving a nice driving experience.

1970 price (w/19% markup): $2,058

11 Likes

1970 - 1972 NEWS: ADM CANCELS SUVs & PICK-UPS PRODUCTION

Due to the oil crisis, and internal problems inside the company, the production of the Mastin line is about to be cancelled. The pick-up models are already cancelled and the SUV versions will see the axe in 1971 (selling the stock through '72).

Old stakeholders of the company (the original ones from the time it sold agricultural equipment and it was called TCN) saw this with bad eyes, same as the new trend of naming cars in foreign languages instead of the traditional mexican last names.

1971 through 1972 was a hard time from the company, but the resolution was to split the company in 2 brands, one would retain the same name ADM and would sell mainly cars, with the new technology that has been developed by the company so far (DAOHC, V6s, monocoque and longitudinal FWD) and a second one called Mastin destined to produce big vehicules with some of the old tooling and technology (OHV V8, L6 and ladder chassis) as well as the Mastiff name rights.

The change was reflected in a new logo and the kill of the Quijote and Villa names. Only Rivera was kept, as it was the flagship of the company.

Old logo:

New logo:

11 Likes

Making Mastin a standalone brand makes perfect sense during the oil crisis - it would have been a millstone around ADM’s neck during such tense times. So how will you develop both brands from now on?

1 Like

Nice! What body did you use for this one, btw?

#1973 - 1974 Rivera IV (facelift)

In 1973 ADM engineers revised the current Rivera generation and did a minor facelift, as long with a brand new engine.

The Rivera in the 73-74 period only had 2 trims (2-door and 4-door) both more premium than luxury, as the economy was still struggling to get back in course. The new engine presented was called Barracuda and was the evolution of the previous Mastiff V8, built to be used in a wide arrange of vehicules.

It was an all iron V8, with direct acting overhead cams, ranging from 5.6L to 6.2L and power from 216hp to over 350hp.

Originally, the Rivera was equipped with a powerful variant of the engine, but it wasn’t considered as safe, as the car weighed over 1,700kg, more than the brakes could withstand at higher speeds, so the engine was strangled and the total speed was limited by gearing. The final version was still capable of 200 km/h, and made clear to ADM engineers that the days of ladder chassis cars were over, almost immediately after the facelift they went back to design the next generation.

###2 Door

###4 Door

2 door price: $5,837
4 door price: $5,881

8 Likes

That is classy , remind me of Rolls Royce.

That is flattering, I was aiming to something more like a budget cadillac thing :stuck_out_tongue:

#1973 Foxhound 2nd Gen [corporate]–4 trims–[/corporate]

In 1973, now that the other national competitor Meliora was in it’s way out of the Muscle car market, ADM saw an oportunity to present its take on the Muscle car.

The previous car, the '68 Foxhound wasn’t faster enough to compete with other cars (such as the '69 Puma), so now that most of the muscle cars were getting off the market, ADM upped it’s game presenting a powerful and fast car that did complied all the modern regulations, like the use of unleaded fuel.

The trims started with the v6, using a 3.8L variant of the V6 used in the Pilgrim and then moving to different V8 based cars, topping with the Grand Prix, with whopping amount of 338hp (the most powerful ADM engine so far), or the premium variant, the Rally.

Sadly this golden window only lasted 2 years, as in 1975 all cars were required to use a catalytic converter, and ADM went back to the designing board.

###FoxHunt V6

###Foxhunt V8

###Foxhunt Rally

###Foxhunt Grand Prix

9 Likes

I never thought that the new Foxhunt would look better than its predecessor, but it does - and it’s faster to boot!

1 Like