American Road Trip Challenge [finished]

Wait until you guys hear about the Canadian system…
Cars are mostly advertised in MPG, yet we use metric for distance and fuel. Then the fuel consumption estimation in the car tends to be in l/100km, though some can be changed to MPG as well. So we’ll fill up with litres and drive kilometers but talk about the miles per gallon we get.

2 Likes

ahahahahha epic :joy:

We have everything in l/100km but km/l seem logical to me as well, maybe even more so… I think Danish people are using the latter as well.

excellent.

1 Like

Can the entire world just switch to metric, as en engineering student im so tired of converting, let alone converting in this game half the time too

/rant over

3 Likes

Building something for this challenge now… Decisions, decisions! :older_man:

2 Likes

If many of you do want to compete also with older cars, i would be okay with the following formula and adjustment of rules:

Market Price: $25000 - (2016 - year of trim) * $325. Example: Trim 1986 -> Max market price = $18500
Trim and engine variant must be same year
Model and engine block can be any year.
Must have at least the standard safety of its time.

3 Likes

Do we get any bonuses for being under budget?

Wait so older cars are penalized with lower budget? What’s the point then?

As far as i know older cars are cheaper to build, meaning that with an equal or even bigger budget you can build an older car with better stats, maybe not necessary an 80s compared to a 2010 (since tech is missing) but if you build a car with same configuration in 2005 and one 2016, 2005 is going to be cheaper by $2-3k. I don’t want to make this challenge favoring older cars because stats will be better.

But correct me here if i am wrong, tho i believe it is going to be difficult to balance this. That’s why i wanted to go only 2016.

1 Like

well it’s because some people want it. the car a couple years older that has the same budget limit will actually be more advantageous, the reduced cost limit is pretty logical imo

It would depend on the individual challenges that come up, but since it would be a decision that would effect all challenges, i will spoiler this one: No, there is not going to be a challenge that favors a lower budget.

Damn, that sucks because I really can’t do much with my car other than go mad with sliders.

I’m going to stay quite a bit under the limit since I want to make a car that I could afford and would be priced resonable.

2 Likes

Okay, i have defined all the seven challenges. They are going to be pretty simple and probably not super thought out, but since I can’t take feedback, they are what they are :smiley:

I would open this challenge now for entries, if there aren’t any issue with the rules.

Any restrictions on Steam mods, or are we free to do what we wish on those?

Oh yes, glad you mentioned that. It would be cool if you stick to the High Quality Essentials, but i am okay with any other mod if you tell me which it is.

I have subscribed to a lot of mods, but since the steam workshop is also littered with questionable engines and cars, i have not subscribed to all mods by default.

Also, I only support the stable steam version. (non-openbeta)

2 Likes

Do we alter our cars with each challenge or is it your car gets scored against each challenge?

As mentioned before, I want to keep this challenge simple, therefore you won’t be able to alter your car and it will only get scored against each challenge. I’ve spitted the challenges into separate files so i keep post the challenges and results step by step.

could you give us a hint of what we need our car to do?

is it speed related? comfort? hauling? economy?

or something even more vague is okay, just don’t want to go in the competition blind

The point is to go into the competition blind :wink:

2 Likes

Considering the many challenges, it might be all of that :stuck_out_tongue: Just make a well-rounded car for the American market and it should do fine.

1 Like