AMWEC historical series --Sneak peek

So, since this seems to be a thing now, to create a thread here planning the next challange I decided I’ll do the same.

Now I’m working in the next iteration of the AMWEC. (You can check the nostalgia posters of the event here)

But as I said last time, I’ll do a historic series before for testing some new mechanics, those will be single races in 1969, 1976, 1989 and 1998.

I ditched the idea of making a dedicated app for that because I haven’t had the time to learn how to do it.
Some of the things that I currently addded is a simple RPG system with skill points for the drivers, and currently I’m trying to decide how pit strategy would work, last time the only options were “refuel when changing tires” and “refuel independently” but some felt it needed more options. Any one have a good idea on how to set one?
Now, I failed to understand the BRC pit strategy thing, so I’ll like something different to that :sweat:

2 Likes

Well, an idea I could throw in there would be whether to prioritize faster stops by taking two tires, or better lap times with four tires. Basically, fresh tires on all four corners gives you whatever your current boost was to lap times (or completely negates the penalty of worn tires), while taking slightly more time in the pits due to changing more tires. Two tires would only partially negate the penalty (Instead of doing Nascar’s two-on-one-side, we’ll assume that this would change the two tires in greatest need) leaving you running faster than you were on four dead tires, but slower than if you had four fresh ones. The advantage would be that it’d be faster than changing all four tires, and a stop for two-and-gas might be as fast as four-tires-only.

Also an amount of fuel in the tank (by percentage) would be a good option. Thereby you could possibly cut your pit stop down by taking on only 20% of your tank’s capacity with the last 20 laps remaining, if you know your fuel consumption on this track is roughly 1% of the tank per lap. Empty cars would be faster than full cars, but are running the risk of running out of gas and getting an embarrassingly slow tow truck to pit lane. Also tying into this strategy would be a definitive “I’ve hit this amount of gas left, I’m going to pit.” So you can play it conservative and avoid refueling as much as possible (“Give me a Full Tank, and I’ll come in at 5%.”) or play risky and fast, but needing more stops (“I’ll refuel when I hit 2%, and just give me 20% at the stop.”) to keep going.

Just a couple ideas.

Thereby your options would be:
Refuel when changing tires (yes/no)
Tires to change (Two/Four)
Refueling Strategy (20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, Full Tank)
Refuel at (X%) of fuel tank.

Could probably be done as numbers in a spreadsheet with a few formulas after plugging in the given numbers.

3 Likes

I really like those ideas, thank you!
I’ll give them a try and see how they work out.

Yes, new AMWEC is in plannig stage :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that apart from oval racing, where constant stress on outside wheels is much bigger, anybody else changes less than 4 tiers. So I don’t see this as valid option.

As it was in AMWEC15, cars pitted when they were unable to finish the next lap. Since there is no tyre degradation (just “on off switch”), why would you pit earlier?

However being able to specify how much fuel you take could be beneficial. Especially if your tyres last less that fuel tank and you are able to refuel just the right amount to get to the end of tyre life. So basically sheet would need to calculate the tyre mileage in advance and than give the car the fuel it needs

1 Like

What about replacing your drive tires (or steering tires) if you’ve built a car that keeps producing wheel spin? You’ll wear out the tires that are spinning instead of producing power. Would it not be beneficial in, say, a 400 hp FWD to replace just your front set, the ones that are going to be thrashed on the most, while leaving your unpowered rear wheels alone?

Theoretically I guess but in reality no, not outside of oval racing. I might be wrong but this is as far as my knowledge goes. In my opinion it would also be really hard to balance this 2 tyre pit stop.
The example you proposed is very specific and unlikely to happen. You could than argue that because your car is so heavy on front tyres, changing just fronts would result in almost 100% grip gain.

In the last edition there was not effect of tyre wear, but I’ll add a simple effect. I’ll add the 2-tyres system and see how that work out :slight_smile:

EDIT:
The options so far.
It’s divided in 3, re-fueling, changing tires and repairing.
And each one contempt the idea of just doing that (under certain circumstances) or the others as well.
For example, you could set to refuel your tank while changing tires if is under 100%, which pretty much means always refuel, or set it to 0% and never refuel while changing tires.

3 Likes

Small sneak peek
You’ll have 3 drivers, with a simple personality point system. It is inspired by the characters of Niki Lauda and James Hunt in the movie Rush.

Discipline: The more disciplined the driver, the lap times will be more consistent. The less disciplined the driver, the lap times could be more faster or more slower.

Agressiveness: The more agressive the driver, there is more chance of a fast lap, also it increases the fuel consumption and the likely of a crash. An agressive driver has an small penalty on wet compared to a non-agressive driver.

Friendly: I didn’t know how to call it, but this is how much of a team player is the driver, and how good is the relationship with the team (mechanics). A more friendly driver will spend less time in the pits, but will take slightly more time to change driver, while a non-friendly driver would be the opposite, plus an car’s HP bonus at the beginning of the race and after every repair.

Every driver could run up to 10 hours (12 if one of your drivers is killed during an accident), and a least 1 driver change is mandatory. If 2 of your drivers are killed in accidents you can’t compete in the 24 hrs races. You can manage the order of the drivers and for how long they will be driving.

6 Likes

Driver deaths now? So that means crashes, right…

I guess they could die party-ing (?) but that’s out of the scope of the AMWEC :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
but yeah, it means crashes, safety and stuff.
This thread will be were I’ll post the calculations and their effects in detail. I’m still working on it but they’ll be publish soon enough.

1 Like

Will there be safety cars and red flags and all that stuff?

Unless I port the calculations into an app or dedicated software, I don’t think so. They will be crashes, and I guess we can pretend that if there are several crashes in the same lap, those cars crashed together xD

But no, so far, no safety cars (other than just for aesthetically purposes) nor red flags neither.

I’d prefer replacing ‘death’ with ‘severe accident,’ personally. If one considers storyline potential, a severe accident leaves the death of a driver in the hands of the character creator, and thereby that driver might return with different stats the next time (such as a driver with all the points in Aggressive suddenly having a half-split between Disciplined and Friendly). At the same time, it means the characters created for this suddenly can be used in car threads.

After all, someone who got knocked out of the race because of a severe crash might suddenly push for better safety in the production cars. The whole, “I crashed at 60 MPH and I barely survived, in full fire-safety gear, a helmet, and a race car with a roll cage. The average person driving this car doesn’t stand a chance.”

Alternatively, “Severe Accident” for anyone who has sufficient safety, but let them go below a minimum safety score that we all know at the beginning (like, say 40 safety in 1980, or something like that) at their own risk of “Death” being what happens in a crash. Trading a guaranteed “I will survive a crash” for “I go fast now!” is a strategy I could see some people doing.

1 Like