ATC Automation Touring Championship - excellent racing since 1956 - Season 4 results complete, Season 5 rules fixed

thanks for your input. it adds literally nothing, but you’ve said something thats already been stated 4-5 times already, so it really hammers it home.

2 Likes

I have a Chevrolet 265 V8. :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, already got an engine, although I do thank you for having offered one.

As it usually was when a racing series started, especially back in the 50s - everyone tryed everything and later on the concepts that worked established.
As the rules will also see further development from season to season, this is just realistic. Well, except for phonographs, vans, and that stuff, but this allows me to write race storys that will make you rolling on the ground.

Just replying because I just finished work on my 1958 car, and that one is really insane as I found out that the Indianapolis is a very boring one among its competitors. Just tweaked a little the tyres on the Indy, and that was it. :slight_smile:

31.08 is very much not enough time to come up with a good design for racing

Are you also taking part? Would really like to see a Chevy engine in here, but mind the quality slider rules. :slight_smile:

So, I ll be afk again, checking the race van.

I’m interested to see how mine performs, the balance isn’t too bad, 54.2/45.8. Too bad I’ll need a runway if I want to stop. God bless 1950s braking technology.

First of all, you are definitely right if you really put immense effort in a car that fights for every second on its lap. Yea… that’s few time, indeed. I guess if you have a week more time, you’ll build a car that destroyes all cars nominated yet.

But I think there is a different approach in here. We’ re racing just for fun, not for the victory. Actually, we’ re not too ambitious in engineering here.

Race van is authorized to take part.

There are six cars registered at the moment.

There has been some confusion with the minimum reliability, as I first wrote 30 and then 35. I am sorry for that inconvenience. I had some PMs and now each car is o.k.

I will make sure such a confusion won’t happen again. This is my first contest and it seems like I can’t really hide that fact.

2 Likes

been thinking about how close my car is to losing about 0.1 Gs in corners if I chance the suspension or areodynamics even slightly in the wrong way, so I was just wondering how well my car corners after the changes you made, if its below 0.75 gs in the tests then I’ll send you a revised version.

Oh yeah, I should have become an engineer. But now I am a lawyer instead as I totally failed in maths at high school.

I just can’t keep my hands off the cars. I maxed out all 6 cars instead of not touching them. :worried:

While testing, the Jericho, was over a whole second faster in Monaco than before as I reduced wheelspin to half of the previous value.

Mine was a careful balance of insanity and precision.

Ineed! Yours was the one I changed the least. There was not really anything that could be done to improve lap times.

By the way: I will take the cars for racing as you had send them and nothing else. I am just playing around a little at the moment.
And I am truly astonished how much you can squeeze out of each car.

Well, I knew the Prince chassis was good to 300+ horsepower, but in 1955, there’s no way to make that power and put it to the ground. So I made the decisions needed to balance the insanity with an ability to make it around a track, while making sure it wouldn’t kill the drivers.

That covers with what I found out while testing each car. You did everything right.

The Petoskey still can improve it’s cornering and tire configs a little, the Jericho needs refinement in drivetrain and suspension.
As that competition here would make no sense and give up its fairness if I edit all cars, everyone has to improve the cars on his own. But I think for newbies I can at least say where to look again, or do you think that is even too much interfering? Then I will stop my comments immediately.

…When you say the goblin needs a bit more refinement in drivetrain and suspension do you mean move the giant cast iron engine to the front so I actually end up with a reasonable weight distribution and can use wider front tyres and actually have decent brakes?

Nope. I did not even touch that engine. Just hit the buttons and check what happens. :slight_smile:

Giving pointers makes sense, in my opinion, if you’re willing to deal with the flood of revisions that will inevitably cause.

At the same time, it’s not bothering me at all. I’ll win, or lose, based entirely on whether I got the right blend of insanity and precision.

1 Like

BTW: The Jericho was the car I meant. Damn! They look nearlly the same.

For you, try out a little the dampers and springs.

@Madrias

Thanks, good to know as I do not want to displease anyone with that.
There was only few time for the submissions, and so I can deal with this flood at least in the first round which is pretty much still a training. But I won’t do that anymore from round 2 on :wink:

Now I’m really excited to see how this all pans out, and really excited to build my submission (but probably won’t be able to until the 29th or 30th)