Automation Beginners League - season 82/83 drawing to an end!

Nonono lol I meant things like Cd, and front/rear downforce characteristics are defined in the lua of any specific body

2 Likes

the Cd is not too significant, since our top speed is somehow almost exactly the same with the almost the same weight, and same power, but mine has higher drag. guessing it’s the power around the peak power might have something to do with it.

but also i forgot that he’s using a different body. mine has more drag, that sedan has even more problems with wheel size. so somehow it cancels out each other.

may this be a fight of the small cars?

I guess most people went lightweight when the horsepower limit was announced. What body are you using though?

I’m using the 2-door sedan variant of the 2.16m wheelbase body and it has 245mm tires but is slightly heavier.

Edit: Full Car Reveal:

ATT @ 2:11.12
Green Hell @ 8:01.09
SPG Road Course @ 2:49.53

Edit 2: Where are the results though? :stuck_out_tongue: I want to see how the cars actually compare on tracks that matter and if I even get close to the competition.

2 Likes

I need to apologize that as my life turned upside down I couldn’t even open the game to check the cars. I’ll do it tomorrow.

I wanted to know what you like more, realising the reviews little by little as they are finished or all at once?

(I expect to release all the results until day 3, but I can assure you it won’t take longer then day 6.
1.5 week to enter cars, 1.5 week to let the release the results, as Ed Elric would say: “it’s a fair trade” :wink:)

But I’m guessing this will be a pretty fun round!

5 Likes

(Sorry the double post, I need everyone interested at the challenge to see)

Here is the updated entry list:
@lukerules117
@Crossworks
@FrankNSTein
@HighOctaneLove
@LordLetto
@Xoury
@Darkshine5
@JohnWaldock
@07CobaltGirl
@koolkei
@szafirowy01
@AirJordan
@laffinghyena
@Newtonmeter

If you send your car but isn’t in this list please PM me as soon as possible.

Almost all cars checked by now.

4 Likes

A sneak peak of my 76´s Contender if i will be one of the fast guys :slight_smile:
No it´s not that fast, ´…now but everyone will have a earworm :joy:

4 Likes

The A-Team van? Interesting choice…

A long way to go for the Kastenwagen GT+, but i think there is room for improvement and we will see which penaltys or new rules will be announced for next season :slight_smile:
This state of build cost 15800 bucks

2 Likes

REVIEWS - PART 1

LaffingHyena - 1

Mixing a, how should I say? Maybe…, different, a different front-end with a somewhat nice rear-end and the mystery about “how the hell the driver is supposed to open this door?”, we have our first contestant: a lightweight 4.0L V6 in fiberglass panels. Using skinny tyres and big wheels it’s traction capacity will probably suffer.
(We are putting hidden cams to try to find out how the driver entered the car, when we find out, we’ll let you know).

LordLetto - Andare Veloce

This “macchina italiana” is using a huge 2.8L inline-3 engine (well, it’s huge for a I3). It’s good looking, but missed some retractable headlights and the exhausts are too little, but what should we expect from a I3?
The tyres are too thin and use wheels too big, probably isn’t the best idea, and the brakes are all simple drum! A race car at the ‘70s using drum front brakes!

Koolkei - VANTABLAK

This one left me speechless for quite the time (even because it’s hard to see it in this black background). In an all matte black paint covering the fiberglass panels we have this tiny monster that hides under the hood a 4.0L V8 with all the modernity off the mechanical injection (I didn’t even know you could fit a engine this big at this body!). Using proper large racing tyres and being really light, it must be great at the corners, at least the slower ones.
And it is under winning penalty, so that’s a really good work!

FrankNSTein - Traveler Mk3 ABL

Ok, someone really need to take some classes about proportions, this car has a lot of wasted design potential.
About performance, even though it’s under winner penalty it still got a well balanced car. The engine is a 3.7L inline-4 (that must shake as hell) and it uses fiberglass panel too (like everyone, I think), but the real difference is at the tyres: maximum width and high quality tyres! With it’s low weight this thing should corner as if in rails!

AirJordan - Smooth 6Ka

After skipping one season of the ABL the Smooth team is back to rock! This time they’re using a 3.1L V6 in a MR hot hatch with a french taste. Yeah, real french. Even though it’s underpowered against the big-guys, it’s even lighter than them with a great tyre setup.
At first their plan was to enter with the penalty, but due to safety requirements they couldn’t and needed to spend more money at the 6Ka, sorry but we need to ensure the driver’s safety, we don’t want anyone dying with this crazy builds.

Curiosity:

64% of the 14 entries are using mechanical injection, while only 36% are using carbs.

REVIEWS - PART 2

Crossworks - Not-a-Golf-VR6

This time we have a convertible using a 2.4L V6 in a transverse position, that of course wasn’t based at the VW VR6.
This car is surprisingly light, since it lacks a roof, but the tyres are too thin, even though they’re of great quality, what probably will cost some time on track.
The brakes are all solid discs, so at least it stop quickly.
The design is good, but the vents don’t quite fit the car style and feel a bit odd, could have been better worked.

HighOctaneLove - Bogliq Expresso AE ‘74

Continuing to update the last season car, the Bogliq team choose to change the engine, since the rules changed again: this time they’re using a 2.0L inline-4.
This is the first entry to use steel panel this season!
The tyres are really thin and the wheels are too big, look like this will be a common mistake this season.
The brakes are well balanced and the car isn’t too have, but it isn’t very light too, if we take in account the engine power.
The outside is good as always, there is no appearance changes (and it don’t need).

JohnWaldock - JHW Saker

Finally retractable headlights! But wait… they’re rounded? In this square body? That’s surely (and unfortunately) odd, they just needed square ones and everything would be better. And the tiny two exhausts at the rear don’t do justice to the 4.1L V8 under the rear window.
The car is heavy, probably too much, and the tyres could be wider, there is a lot of room for that under the fenders, and the brakes could be better, both are too soft and will probably suffer to stay in good shape for the entire race.

Xoury - Aurora Prototype 9

Another exotic boxy shaped car, but this time it have a more sober look with a dark grey-ish blue covering aluminium panel (I hope it don’t crash, because the fix will be expensive).
The engine is a small 3.4L V8. The car is more to the heavy side and the tyres are odd, the rear ones are a lot wider than the front ones, I bet it will suffer some understeer, and the wheels are to big, if they were smaller maybe it could fit wider tyres…
The brakes are more or less good, but the front ones will probably lock easily due to the thin tyres.

Curiosity 2:

• Engines:
  • 1x…I3…(7%)
  • 2x…I4…(14%)
  • 4x…I6/V6…(29%)
  • 7x…V8…(50%)

REVIEWS - PART 3 - END

Darkshine - DSDR N.O.S

This season the DSDR team decided to retire the Licorne, so they bring us a totally new car. About the looks, isn’t too bad, even more with the showing carburettors and the side exhausts (that sadly will burn up the rear tyres).
The showing carbs are over a 4.2L V8. The car is quite light using fiberglass panels.
The tyres are too thin, but of amazing quality, and the brakes are greatly balanced.

07CobaltGirl - CS6.3

Our american girls is back to the grid and look at what she brought to us, that’s a nice coupe that we have here, really unique at the grid and more like a road-car then a race one. It could really be the daily drive of a rich young businessmen by the outside.
It uses steel panel to cover the 4.9L V8 using a OHV head (the only proper V8 at the grid, thumbs up!).
The tyres are the right size and the brakes are well balanced.
Sadly it’s a lot heavy (the heaviest one of the grid), but it does not hinder the ability to make curves.

szafirowy01 - PZS 1100 Coupe

I’m in love!
The design is perfect! The retractable headlights are square, the blinkers are well sized, the tyres and rims too, and this rear light is beautiful. The only thing I would change are the exhausts, they could be a little bigger to match the car’s size.
About the engine, it’s a 4.3L V8. The tyres and rims are well matched and the brakes aren’t bad.
But the car isn’t light, it may bring despair to the driver later.

Newtonmeter - DFM Dagger GT+

Another matte black painted car that uses fiberglass and is under winer penalty.
The engine is half a V12, a V6 of 3.8L, the car is light, the tyres are of excellent quality and wide enough, so this is a big danger for the rest of the grid!
The brakes, though, could be a lot better.
The looks are good, they’re simple, yet good looking.

12 Likes

RESULTS - 1974

Laguna Seca

Swanson Proving Grounds 1/2 mile

Monaco

1974 Partial Results

7 Likes

Wow thats a close competition!
@ koolkei, look at the times, like twins again :joy:

yup. the 15999 limit isn’t so evil after all muahahahaha

I don’t really feel like the balancing is working to make the winners penalty tough enough, I don’t even have the building abilites to create something to test out the rules with.

1 Like

The winner penaltys are good as they are. I feel they should be something that demands you to try a little harder but you can still be competitive with the penalty.
I’d be very demotivated if I was 3 seconds slower on any track no matter what I do with the penalty.

It’s just that we only had like 6 or 7 competitive entries this round, 3 1/2 of which were penalized.

4 Likes

RESULTS 1975

Willowbanks 1/4 mile

Beginners Course

Suzuka

1975 Partial Results

1974/75 Season Final Results

As you can see we have a tie for the champion, so we decided to compare numbers to decide the winner:

Congratulations @Newtonmeter, @AirJordan and @koolkei!!!

1st - @Newtonmeter
2nd - @AirJordan
3rd - @koolkei

8 Likes

With that car ?!?!? :joy: Congrats Newtonmeter and koolkei!

khm…I should win beacuse I have more wins and that’s how it should be done…but yeah what ever let me eat my salt… :joy:

1 Like

nononono congrats… although the first place saying congrats to the 2nd and 3rd place… .dude :stuck_out_tongue:

It was a very close battle and I have spent more money on my car that you… so congrats! :slight_smile: and i did not win…grrr…

I swear that none of us thought about that :sweat_smile:
Next time we’ll do that.

4 Likes

First YEAH! Second win in a row and with penalty!
But it was So Close, the penalty was allright, i had to try more Body´s and engines than before.
And i didn’t win that much races, but i was constand enough to make good points. :grin:
But i would be okay with a Formula 1 style point System.

1st : 25 points
2nd : 18 points
3rd : 15 points
4th : 12 points
5th : 10 points
6th : 8 points
7th : 6 points
8th : 4 points
9th : 2 points
10th : 1 point

And I will keep my promise and race next season with the Van-Body

4 Likes