Automation Beginners League - season 82/83 drawing to an end!

YAY!
No penalty for first turbo round! (which I totally planned out)

Congratulations to @AirJordan, @Newtonmeter and @Koolkei!

Also, the next ruleset will be announced soon?

This is something to think about implementing at the start of the 80s at round 6.

We need to figure out how to balance turbo and N/A, any advice?

Just come up with something and let people find out what’s better. If it turns out to be unbalanced, you can adjust it for the 78/79 season.

2 Likes

AS we a have a power limit i think there is no Problem.

2 Likes

maybe limit by performance index this time?

I think a “normal” Power limit is easyer for “beginner” but it would be okay ,too i think.

That’s interesting, but I agree with Nm, we need to keep it as simple as possible.

We will compare some examples and try to release the rules by tomorrow or the day after that. We will try to change these rules the least as possible.
If anyone have any complain and/or advice please share.

Changing a little the subject, we are looking for someone to divide the job, since doing all the racemaster job is a little heavy right now if anyone want to volunteer, please feel free to PM any of us or just post here.

3 Likes

maybe limit it to a specific kind of engine. say, a 1.6L 4-cly DOHC for example.

Long-ish post incoming…

limiting performance index doesn’t make much sense to me. That way I cannot squeeze as much as possible out of something I have build but struggle to understand what counts toward this index and than try to test as many different options as possible to get the feeling what affects laptimes the most. I dont have interest or time for doing that.

Penalty should be directly related to rules:
-if there is a price limit allready in the rules, for penalty lower it by 10%
-if there is minimum weight limit allready in the rules, for penalty raise it by 15%

• if there is displacment limit…etc

It doesn’t make sense if rules are no semi slicks max 10000 budget no aero and than penalty some random index or rule. Unless this is very well tested. But we know it’s not :slight_smile: so keep it simple, it will be more fun.

Maybe post rules first and than we can see what the penalty could be.

For balancing the penalty, it would help a lot if you @Nomade0013 could crunch some numbers like how much was winning car (with 5 out of 9 win that will be mine that lost because different approach so I’m still salty blah) on average faster that average lap on a race track with most difference. When you give this number, it will be easier to tell how much penalty to put top cars down but still keep it competitive.

I just wrote keep it simple it will be more fun… what an irony

5 Likes

Wow, Gratz @Newtonmeter

Is it bad that I Was Expecting great things out of my big i3? was Hoping for Midfield at least, not Basically Dead last every Race.

Still running? Wolf motors is interested

Next round is just around the corner. We’re just waiting for the ruleset for this round.

We’re waiting for the input of you guys. Turbocharging is the next upcoming technology, so how would you like the ruleset to deal with them? AirJordan, John, Xoury and Newtonmeter have all pitched in, now, we’re waiting to hear some more thoughts.

Like I already stated it doesn’t need to be 100% balanced. Just come up with a different limit in displacement, amount of cylinders and head type for NA and Turbo. If it turns out to be unbalanced then we’ll have more entries of one engine type and you can adjust it next season :wink:

1 Like

I’d leave it at the power limit. Yeah, with turbo you can get that power out of a smaller engine, but turbo equipment weighs some kilos, so it balances itself. And remember that now we will get that awful journal bearing turbos.

1 Like

I always prefer a displacement limit over a power limit, but for beginners that makes sense as tuning turbo engines isn’t easy.

2 Likes

Taking a page from BRC’76 seems like a good idea… Looking at the cars in the top it looks like a NA displacement of around 4000 cc and turbo displacement at around 2800 cc seems to be fitting in cars weighing in at around 1000 - 1100 kgs and aero (i’d suggest no more than 2 lips and one wing and undertray if applicable) and a choice of either slicks or sport tires. A price limit seems fitting, too.

To limit performance index seems too complex but if you are so bold you could limit us to use only FWD or RWD, or only Frontengined cars.

2 Likes

Depending on how the forced induction revamp comes I say either just displacement limits na v boosted say 1.8-2.4x for boosted and smaller tires

I gave this some thought and this came out, how to complicate things so it gets easier :wink:

You (as creators and organisers of ABL) should decide, what kind of competition this will be. You must understand how the rules affect what we are actually competing on:

• if you limit the max power, than it’s the race of who can build the lightest car
  • if you limit the minimum weight, it’s who can cram the most hp in those kilos
  • if you put both limits it will be only suspension tune game
    and so on and so on. Because this is named Beginners league, we vowed it will be simple, accessible and maybe even help newbies to learn something. So what I suggest is get rid of little graphs that say if its V6 than only ohv but only if it’s more than 3.0l blah blah… that’s not for beginners. Get rid of if its turbo than only 0.8 capacity… put that in pro league.
    Make a list of straight forward things you can limit (weight, capacity, power, torque, cost, production units, engeneering time, tyre wigh, aspiration, aero etc.) and than every round limit few of them and let others loose. That way every round will focus on tuning different part (chance to learn new things) and will be easy to understand. If we will try to balance shit out ever round, it will become BRClike, and that’s not noob friendly and a lot of work (I guess).
10 Likes

Thanks for all your input guys, we’ve been listening and discussing. We’re all just about going to bed now, so if you don’t mind we’d like another day to take all your suggestions in, have some talk and then make a unifying decision.

3 Likes