There’s a lot of model spawn due the rigid body selection, which puts every car into buckets so specialized, you need 4 times the same style from 2.3 to 3.0 meters wheelbases to cover all cases
As it stands now we need pages of the same basic shell, scrolling in both directions:
My proposal would be to let this be a style picker. The bodies design can still influence base drag, but it’d be mostly a stile selection:
Chassis looses the suspensions, and makes space for a platform configuration:
you pick wheelbase and track size, and the game calculates internal volume available. These options are limited by previous chassis choices. A further slider allows the player to reduce cabin space in favor of a larger engine bay or vice versa.
The body tab changes significantly to allow the same options you would get from the model pickup, but all grouped and available in a flexible way:
Seat rows would come mostly for boxes: one/two boxes that aren’t open bed or close cargo gets 3, the rest get 2. of course if you design something of the size of a S2000 and actually cram 2 rows of seat in there you’d get an appropriate low comfort penalty.
- More flexibility in designing the car, of course.
- Game logic controls options, not arbitrary body availability.
- Same with seat rows, they come from Style and Configuration.
- We finally get to change suspensions per variants
- More freedom: two box coupes for proper sportbacks, closed cargo three boxes for UTEs etc.
- lots of effort put on creating morph points on body designers
- much more ways players can shoot themselves in the foot raising the barrier to entry
- all the maths behind it
- what to do with less sensible choices (albeit you can probably find real world example of any combinations)
- there’s a hole in the ux I didn’t knew how to fill.