Bogliq by Design (BbD) Sharing Centre

In the future, when I establish a bicycle factory, of course, I will take into scoring, among other things, the size of the price.
If this will happen, then I will indicate the name of my factory on this site.
I am going to seriously balance ordinary mountain bikes.
And as for the design, you not simply noticed this car - after all, before I assemble it, I drew a design.

Bogliq Automotive USA needs help!

Hey everyone, I’m in a bind and I was hoping for some help. My Generations II company is attempting to stay within the confines of realism while also allowing me to try out new ideas and ways of playing.

My problem is simple. I have no idea what happened in the 70’s to American cars and American car buyers. I’m well aware of he fuel crisis and how it killed off the Muscle Car era, but what happened to normal buyers and their tastes?

Do V8’s still sell? Did the massive V8’s fall out of favour? What would be considered normal for fuel consumption and performance in this era?

I’ve not had any success finding information about the mainstream markets; sure I can find plenty on niche products, but what do Mom’s and Pop’s drive now?

Any pointers, advice or links would be much appreciated, thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

@VicVictory, @stm316, @Lordred, @patridam and anyone else who can help me!

As for actual experience/knowledge… I’m the target demographic for a true blue falcon (🥺). My dad had has a book with specs on almost EVERY American car ever built (including Essex and its offspring/substitute Terraplane) up until 1984 1980.

1 Like

what i did is the following:

take the currently-in-production cars
facelift near-all of them in '74 or '75, while fairly heavily optimizing on fuel eco (with varying degrees of success)

finalize Keika incorporation

i basically used current models and made them as economical as possible

result:
they are SLOW, but at least having a slow car beats having no money for fuel

EDIT:
see the DM thread of us

1 Like

Hmm. Well, since I assume you are talking about the upcoming 1977 round, so I can talk to each segment in particular (explicitly on American cars). All of the vehicles would have a two way catalytic converter and at least have front disc brakes and radial tires as an option. But only luxury cars had rear disc brakes. If you want very specific info you can check the cars I’ve mentioned on https://www.automobile-catalog.com/

Realistic Economy Car: There are two ways to approach this, realistically or as a “wild card.” Realistically would be unibody, front engine, rear wheel drive, with wishbone front and live axle coil or leaf rear. Wheelbase approximately 2.3 to 2.5 meters. Four full seats in plus quality basic or standard, probably with a cheap radio. Most likely a two door coupe, hatchback, or wagon. Power would most likely be from a four cylinder of 1.6 to 2.3 liters, ohv, direct ohc, or sohc two valves per cylinder with a four speed manual or a three speed auto. 1 single barrel or two barrel carbuerator. A larger straight six or V6 could work but would probably bad for stats. Real life examples would the Chevrolet Vega/Monza, Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto/Mercury Bobcat, AMC Gremlin and AMC Pacer.
Wildcard Economy Car: The alternative would be to push boundaries and use cars that came to the US in 1978, the Ford Fiesta and Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon. This would be mostly similar in many ways with the notable difference being transverse FWD with McPherson struts and a torsion beam rear suspension. The Omni size would perhaps support a rear bench seat.
Fuel consumption with an automatic should be in the high teens, with a smaller engine manual car getting in the mid to high twenties. 0-60 would be anywhere from 12 to 20 seconds with gas engines.

Intermediate: This is a little more consistent: front engine, rear wheel drive, with double wishbone front suspension and live rear axle with coil or leaf springs. Could be unibody or body on frame. Most would be 3 speed automatics. Anything could work: wagons, coupes, sedans… except convertibles. While a family sedan or wagon might score better, luxurious coupes with long roofs, short trunks, and vinyl tops were very popular. There were also still some sporty looking packages with stickers but were mostly for show. Coupes might have 4 seats but bucket front/rear bench would be the norm. Wheelbase would be 2.7 to 2.9 meters. “Big block” engines were being dropped from the lineups, so the top engines would most likely be 5.7 to 6 liters. The small engines would be 3.8 to 4.2 liter I6s or V6s, and the medium engines would be 4 to 5 liter V8s. One two or four barrel carburetor. Mileage would be expected in the middle teens at best. 0-60 would be between 16 and 12 seconds. Look at the Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Pontiac Lemans, Pontiac Grand Prix, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Ford LTD II, Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, Plymouth Fury, Dodge Monaco, Dodge Diplomat, Chrysler Cordoba, and Chrysler LeBaron.

Utility Full Size: This is a very broad category. Full size trucks had base platforms dating back to 1970 or earlier, body on frame, front wishbone rear leaf spring, RWD/4X4, usually V8s or large sixes, 3 speed auto or manual - regular cab long bed trucks were the norm, with extended cabs starting to appear. “Big Block” V8s of 7 liters or more were not yet removed from trucks and vans. See the Ford F150, Chevrolet C/K, and Dodge Ram. Two door SUVs were built off these platforms. Full size vans were engineered very similarly but with front bucket seats. 0-60 could be all over the place, but likely not under 10 seconds or over 20. Mileage could be as bad as single digits. See the Chevrolet Van, Ford Econoline, and Dodge Ram Van.
Utility Smaller: Coupe utilities were not popular but still existed, in the form of the Ford Ranchero and Chevrolet El Camino. These would be trims on your intermediate car with the same engineering, and might do in the middle or higher teens for mpg and get to 60 in 13-16 seconds. There were also some captive imports with American names on small Japanese trucks, with four cylinder engines and a tight size. These were no faster than the other utilities but could get mileage north of 20mpg. See the Chevrolet LUV and Ford Courier.

3 Likes

with that insight, i can safely say that my cars are DEAD SLOW

1 Like

Well, 0-60 catalog entries are usually somewhat optimistic. Over 20 seconds to sixty is the bottom of the barrel though, the worst malaise mobile I can think of, the 1976 4300 lb Buick LeSabre full size with a 110hp V6 took 22 seconds (https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/qotd/qotd-did-the-1976-buick-lesabre-v6-have-the-worst-power-to-weight-ratio-of-any-malaise-era-american-car/

If you include diesels though it gets much worse.

1 Like

the slowest Anhultz’s (USDM only for now) at the time went to 60 in just over 20 seconds

european models generally were either faster or more economical due to not needing the catalytic converter

is most cases, they were both

1 Like

You’re an Aussie??? Wow, I always thought you were American… Sorry if I disturbed your day, lol!

Thanks Patridam for all this info, this has clarified a great number of my model range anxieties and will be very useful in building my 1974 facelifts and where to go from there… :heart_eyes::sunglasses::grin:

I gotta get a wriggle on! Lots of cars to design and hardly any time to do it!!!

I’m still open for more insights so if anyone has anymore tips, suggestions etc. feel free to share. :smile:

1 Like

One difference between vans and pickups was that at least some of the vans were not truly Body on frame. I think that the econoline might have been, not 100% sure, but the Chevy and (I think) the Dodge were not. Since they have quite massive chassis rails, but welded to the floor, I would probably go LT monocoque to simulate Them.

1 Like

You have transformed the Tumbler from an overpriced mess into a much more competitive and realistic offering - except for those tiny turbo V8s in the first three options. That said, the first option for a redesign is the most attractive of the four in my view. All in all, well done!

1 Like

Bogliq USA wants feedback!

Yes... Even negative fedback, hahaha!!!

I’m looking to emulate the increasing role of customer feedback in developing product strategies, trim specifications and the like. I think it’d be fun to get forum users to chip in with their 2c on the cars trim levels, how they drive in Beam.NG, thoughts on the design language etc.

If you’d like to roleplay as a Bogliq owner in the late 70’s, and onwards, then please PM me for the .car file or, if you just want to go on what I’ve written in my Generations II lore thread, just post your thoughts on this thread instead.

Thanks for reading this post; I look forward to receiving your feedback!

2 Likes

Seems a good idea, I can’t really join in since I am in the generations challenge as well but good luck either way.

1 Like

MVD made a Bogliq look really, REALLY good!!!

Buccanneer Post

Marcus-gt500 transformed a pig’s ear into a purse of the finest silk!!!

The surprising part? He didn’t just delete all my fixtures and start again, hahaha!!!

1 Like

You know that there is always the possibility to get a review from me too, I guess?

Bogliq USA wants feedback!

1 Like

MY2010 Bogliq Bazooka 460AE

A Hypercar by Bogliq that doesn’t sacrifice the quintessential American values of FR in order to go really, really fast, hahaha!!!

When I conceived this car I knew it had to be RWD. I feel that, despite the historical precedent, USDM supercars and hypercars should be both FR and RWD. I think that the success that GM has shown in GT3 with their C6R Corvettes and Camaro’s helps support this position.

So the Bazooka 460AE has a 6L twin turbo pushrod V8, 6spd DSG and lots of mechanical aids. It has been designed to satisfy the most discerning Hypercar segment buyer but remains accessible enough to be the darling of the USDM Youtube tuner and drift communities.

I want to make a special shout out to @VicVictory for workshopping the styling and providing the polish to make this car 110%. It took me this long to work it out but, regardless of results, getting someone else to help refine your car designs is a great learning experience and leads to cars that you’ll still like after 6 months, hahaha!!!

10s_Supercar_-HighOctaneLove-_Bogliq_Bazooka_460AE.car (43.3 KB)

3 Likes

Nothing like the Bazooka from the 70s then, evolution in the right direction.

2 Likes

Old vs new Bazooka road race when?

1 Like

The only Bazooka officially made in the Gen II era (RIP VicVictory) was meant to be a USDM sportscar to rival Europe. It was capable and affordable but the Ungoliant, which replaced it, kinda lost that affordability factor. So this car is a blend of the two; European rivalling performance and handling blended with highly desireable styling and timeless appeal. After 4.2 happens and I’ve finished Ardent, there will be another Bazooka dynasty. This time though it’ll be unbroken, hahaha!!!

Sorry old bean, my Gen II line-up was lost when my laptop failed. So the old vs new rivalry will have to wait until after 4.2 hits. If I get a burst of creativity then I’ll try to rebuild the MY57 Bazooka, but I’m making no promises on that front, hahaha!

1 Like

Bogliq By Design Presents...

MY95 Diarrhoea ChaChaCha

Crazy Chinese and their weird use of English, hahaha!

Irrational Inspiration for The Lore

Early in 1990, Bogliq by Design (BbD) was approached by the senior management of Kunming Revolutionary Automotive Prefecture (KRAP) to design an inoffensive budget sportscar they could have ready for the 1995 Model Year. BbD was willing, so they developed a test mule and displayed it to KRAP’s delegation who were delighted with the product.

The Real Inspiration for The Car

KRAP then proceeded to set up a factory, tooled up for the car, then fitted an Ardent Export inline six. The new KRAP coupe was a sweet performer with a chassis tune perfectly calibrated for regular track days.

Much to BbD’s horror, when attending the car’s Chinese Domestic Market launch, BbD found that the car was named Diarrhoea, because someone at the US embassy said “That’s the fastest thing in the known universe”, plus they’d named the variant ChaChaCha as the same attache said that Beevis and Butthead were an American cultural staple and thus very, very popular!

Bogliq by Design were able to persuade the KRAP management to re-name the car for export, but the local car would keep it’s unfortunate nomenclature… As for the attache, he was quietly sent home so he’d not face the wrath of the CCP when they realised he was at fault!

OOC: @VicVictory and I built a coupe for the 1995 Budget Sportscar Challenge but, since I don’t join random Discord servers, I didn’t end up submitting. The name was a spur of the moment shared giggle and it doesn’t make any sense now, hence why I’ve shared the Youtube clip which started this ball rolling!

Here’s the relevant stats for all to peruse:

Main setup stats

Market tab stats

The .car file for download
Diarrhoea_-_ChaChaCha.car (43.7 KB)

5 Likes