BRC 1976 - Under Pressure [E8-Q]

19th… damn… this rain…

this is a dillemma.
if it rains hard. i could stay out longer and do less pit stops, but my car is slow in the rain…
if it rains less. i could go faster, but would my fuel consumption be low enough for a 2 pit stops?

and then i saw the very last stage nurburgring… DAT RAIN CHANCE… there’s no sparing anyone over there

I have been messing with strats since the second race. I’m going to go with reducing fuel stops and going for a higher tyre wear before pitting. The 1 - 2 seconds after 19 laps (or there about) does not matter when I’m a full 4 laps behind the leaders. It’s about staying out longer with my competition group at this point.

2 Likes

An AWD muscle car is going to be my car for the next BRC. Probably with a 3.2 liter Turbocharged v8.

Until Der Bayer says that AWD and any engine larger than 3.0 litres is banned, of course :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: There’s really no point talking about next season until (a) this one is over (b) the rules are announced

4 Likes

The other problem you have with AWD is it adds a huge cost to the build, even if it is allowed I doubt you could afford AWD and a 3.2l turbo V8

Then theres the weight AWD adds which I assume is at least partly responsible for your decision to go for a 3.2l engine, the weight calculation may be different for AWD as it is for turbo’s now, so a turbo AWD would probably have to be quite heavy at 3.2l to be over minimum weight.

There’s a lot to be considered before the next season considering the addition of AWD, Ball Bearing Turbo’s and much better fuel economy, it’s good that you’re that excited about the next season and there’s nothing wrong with doing some testing now, but don’t be disappointed when your plans aren’t possible, let’s just enjoy this season first.

4 Likes

so, next race still tba?

Yes, not this weekend.

An anything over 3 litres ban for next BRC does not make much sense to me. i kind of wanted to go with a big crude 6 liter muscle car. Also, does anyone have an under one liter engine? I think that for the pre brc touring car race there was a 800cc car.

Maybe it doesn’t make sense, but if that was what Der Bayer wanted he could do it!

My point was that there is no point talking about your car for next season when the rules haven’t been announced. Bare in mind that this is the first season where the cars didn’t have to meet a specific power-to-weight ratio, and are allowed wing and lips.

1 Like

You can find out by looking through these.

As far as I know I have the car with the smallest displacement.

I think WoarLord has the smallest displacement with 1798 cc and a whooping 195hp :slight_smile:
And hi, BTW. It’s a nice tournament you’ve got going here. Sadly i discovered it a little bit too late to join, but if there ever is a follow up, or a 80’s version, i’ll be sure to join in on the fun.

4 Likes

There have been 3 before this, so I think we’re all hoping for a follow up, this is an amazing tournament!

2 Likes

I’m a real fan of building, setting up, tweaking and racing virtual cars, so it’s right up my alley of fun. Hopefully this BRC will get a rapid conclusion :smiley:

Realistically we have 5 (I think?!) races left, so you’re looking at probably 10 weeks or more to finish off the season, typically followed by a fair break before the next one starts.

At the end of the day this whole thing is run by Der Bayer and the commentating crew who do it in their spare time (and what an amazing job they do!) so the timescales are pretty flexible! It’s addictive and a hell of a lot of fun though, so I hope yuo can join us in the next one!

1 Like

Use the down time to learn your opposition.
Or do the opposite of what I did and actually focus on tuning cars in 1986.

One thing I learned from watching all the BRC videos and reviews was that big engined MR cars are useless, so I went and built one…

3 Likes

Ya, i figured that much from the earlier BRC’s timelines (checked around the forum for a bit). But it’ll be a learning experience to see the races anyway.

@BailsMackenzie I’ll do that… and maybe test a '86 build or two… and maybe even build a '76 too, to see if i can get it close to the testtimes posted here.

1 Like

I suggest that you don’t do a build for 86 yet. I spent a month making a car that i though would pass for the brc 1976. But my car was 190,000 dollars overpriced. If you are going to build a car though, remember that the budget will probably be under 9000 and that you probably wont be allowed an engine bigger than 3 litres.

1 Like

Well, i build and tune cars anyway, just for the fun of it. And if one of them fits, it fits, otherwise i have to build a new one. No loss. But i’ll heed your words and keep the buildcost low and the engine small IF i build one :wink:

You know the thing I said about 3 litres was a joke right?

1 Like