CSR 113: Here come the Imports!

Aw

My 1st gear goes up to 75 Kilometers, so it’s pretty Long.

you know, had you just given this heads up sooner, could’ve avoided all the drama, and taken the edge off people. i’d for one would understand that.

either way. thank you for hosting the round :slight_smile:

also what do you mean by this? i did put an adv auto in there… right?

1 Like

Dan probably didn’t put it in Sports mode

Yeah Yeah I know, feel free to call me smelly and all kinds of bad names in the discord or here.

I interpreted the runoff after max power as the time the auto box has to shift, assuming that when you try to get the most out of the engine, the transmission will run it up to peak power. Say peak power is at 6500RPM, and you floor it, the transmission isn’t going to shift until after 6500RPM, and if your redline is 6700RPM, that doesn’t give a lot of time for shifting. Either I could assume the gearbox short shifts and never touches peak power, or that it touches peak power, but doesn’t have time to shift in the 200rpm after peak power, if that makes sense.

wow, the Italian almost made it to the podium. was not expecting that as it was a pretty left field entry :smile:

I really had fun meeting Dan, he is a real character.

Congrats @yangx2! and everyone who made it to the final.

4 Likes

Was it my car that was holding everything up?
I just noticed it wasn’t there, but I thought I made the finals?
I didn’t use any mods or anything
I actually didn’t notice that you listed there was 18 finalists, but then reviewed 10 cars and said there was 7. We should’ve picked up on that. Oh well

Congratulations to…

And quite rightly too! As in CSR 109, he delivered something against which the other entries never stood a chance. But as I’ve stated previously, my hunch about our client being a man of the old school turned out to be mostly true. Let’s hope that the next round doesn’t take anywhere near as long as the previous two to complete, and is run to a high standard to boot.

dude i’m not calling you anything.
if any, i was just pointing out the obvious.

either way. it’s done now

yeah i get it. the thought didn’t cross my head. good point. will take that into consideration next time

Just curious, if Dan was looking for a comfortable, reliable car that can go fast enough for an occasional emergency maneuver, then why is he so focused on redline performance? Besides, most cars have (relatively) long gears, but even when you are pushing them the transmission shifts well before redline? Was the field just so close on the other stats it boiled down to performance?

Also @DoctorNarfy, based on what you said about the loading issues it sounds like your computer was eating paint chips, not you. I will insult the respective hardware and software, not the guy stuck fixing it.

It’s all about the feel of the car. I never really judged two cars exactly the same, always by what they were, and how I imagined he’d like them to feel. If it’s a sporty coupe, Dan expects more power and style. Either way, if the engine produced enough torque down low and the gearing was short enough to throw him back in his seat, he never really pushed it to redline. The winning car went from 0-60 in 10 seconds and that was on the slower side of the list. If he really needed to rev the engine out to get the car to move, redline mattered more.
Lastly, there was hardly ever one issue that was a deal breaker for Dan. It was the culmination of things that cars did or didn’t do. So, if Yang’s car was just as good as it is right now, but had the Horizon’s redline issue, it may still have won. It was just a list of the grievences he noticed during a test drive.

4 Likes

Congrats @yangx2, I find it hilariously ironic that the proud American boomer is driving a Communist car during the 1980s, a rather contentious time for the Cold War - although at least PRC itself had time to improve its relations with the US during the Nixon administration in the early 1970’s

4 Likes

It’s the part of him that thinks my-lenials are ruining this country with their entitlement, but God help anybody that dares touch his social security! It’ll be fine for a couple more years until nothing happens in 1989…

5 Likes

It’s time for George!

@DoctorNarfy is there any reason you skipped me in the finals or did you just forget?
I didn’t use any mods or anything
It’s just my first competition so I wanna know if I screwed something up

Yes hello

First of all, congrats @yangx2 for winning!

I should be able to host, but it will be Monday before I am able to get anything up and running for CSR114.

13 Likes

Yeah. Dan judged my car as a “sports” car even though it was a personal luxury car, and was mad at it for going 0-60 in 10 seconds.

Luxury cars aren’t slow, they still need some poke.

Personal luxury cars were often extremely slow at this time. It was right after two fuel crises. 10 seconds is obnoxiously fast in real life, and “fair” by other entries standards, and my fuel economy was pretty good, even compared to many smaller entries in this challenge.

Dan expected a muscle car because of the body. He didn’t realize the point was it was comfortable, efficient, and handled well. It wasn’t meant to tear up the dragstrip. And he was also really really weird for the time, because everyone thought front wheel drive was amazing and modern, and rear wheel drive was old fashioned.

CSR114 is now live!

6 Likes