Currency?

Will the currency in Automation be a made up currency, say just classed as “Credits” or will you guys implements real currency like $USD or $AUS and so forth?

Just curious

cheers

would be an interesting and really realistic mechanic, but seems unnecessary

I would prefer one single made-up currency. Sure, a simple conversion factor for different real life currencies would be very easy to do, but one single currency will make comparing cars between players from different regions in the forums a lot easier. Also, things like inflation and changes of the currency in all the different regions over the years would not have to be modelled. And it won’t be so easy for players to complain about pricing not being realistic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Inflation will definitely have to be modeled though, this is one of the primary deterring factors for “sitting on your money, waiting for a good invest”. Terrible financial policy has made (for example) the dollar lose ~90% of its value since 1946.

If we’re going to model different currencies or not remains to be seen. Probably not because of the huge amount of complexity, but on the other hand currency is a fundamental indicator for markets. It’s difficult, we’ll see how to do it when we get there and work out various options in more detail.

[quote=“Killrob”]
If we’re going to model different currencies or not remains to be seen. Probably not because of the huge amount of complexity, but on the other hand currency is a fundamental indicator for markets. It’s difficult, we’ll see how to do it when we get there and work out various options in more detail.[/quote]

I would love to see different currencies because it’s one of the key factors together with different tolls why manufacturers move production from country or continent to another. If you want yo simplify it maybe just have one currency per continent…?

I am really not sure how to think about this. On the one hand, it is quite important in real life, but it will add a layer of complexity, as well as not really making the game more fun.

[quote=“JussiE”]

[quote=“Killrob”]
If we’re going to model different currencies or not remains to be seen. Probably not because of the huge amount of complexity, but on the other hand currency is a fundamental indicator for markets. It’s difficult, we’ll see how to do it when we get there and work out various options in more detail.[/quote]

I would love to see different currencies because it’s one of the key factors together with different tolls why manufacturers move production from country or continent to another. If you want yo simplify it maybe just have one currency per continent…?[/quote]

You have a good point though I think this could be easily simulated by having different wages for different countries. First world factories might pay their workers 30C an hour but third world only 0.30C an hour. Marketing staff and sales people etc would also have different wages.

You can have pay and all the other costs fluctuate differently in different countries but still use one currency. It would end up the same net result if balance properly.

Think of it as your accounts department just converting everything to your native currency before handing you their reports. That’s pretty much what happens in RL anyway.

As different regions will have different labor costs anyway, this would be a decent solution for a “one currency as measure, simulating the effect of many currencies” implementation.

I vote single currency (but only in game, not in real life :wink: )

You’re totally right. We should go the money less society like the star trek federation =)

I think we should go back to having money instead of (fiat-) currency :wink:

Yup being back Gold standard
Although the name fiat currency makes me laugh

That’ll be 3 puntos please
Have you got change for a bravo?
Sorry only got pandas

[quote=“maffc”]Yup being back Gold standard

Sorry only got pandas[/quote]

Haha!

Here, have a Stilo and buy a lollipop.
Dude! Check what I found in my old wallet! A Croma!
I dont like the shape of this Multipla, I hope theyredesign this coin ASAP.

[quote=“maffc”]Yup being back Gold standard

Sorry only got pandas[/quote]

This is worthy of a medal. Thanks for the chuckle!

Maybe just use the general gaming terms as used in like car racing games and sorts and just call the currency… [size=150]¢[/size] so just call it credits? I just ask because I just noticed atm under the stats it currently has the running costs as $… hmmm

Maybe all money references in game should just be called Cr or Credits

[quote=“Camshaft91”]Maybe just use the general gaming terms as used in like car racing games and sorts and just call the currency… [size=150]¢[/size] so just call it credits? I just ask because I just noticed atm under the stats it currently has the running costs as $… hmmm

Maybe all money references in game should just be called Cr or Credits[/quote]

$ is good because the symbol for it is available in pretty much every font ever :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]

so just call it credits? I just ask because I just noticed atm under the stats it currently has the running costs as $… hmmm

Maybe all money references in game should just be called Cr or Credits

$ is good because the symbol for it is available in pretty much every font ever :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

That and it’s by far the most common symbol for money around the world, used by over a dozzen different currencies. There’s really no need to make up a new symbol when you already have one that is so universal!!