Dalnit-Bralka Rally 1965 [FINAL RESULTS!]

Can we get a little more info on fatigue? What are its effects and how do drivability and comfort affect it numerically?

1 Like

oh, and i’m also running Hydropneumatic suspension. cuz DS

It gets quite convoluted, but here’s the gist:

Your driver starts the rally at 0 fatigue and maxes out at 1. The co-driver is considered to have the same fatigue all the way to Nutsoring, but will have their own value in the 24 hour race.

In Endurance stages every car will start with a 100km/h baseline speed, because there are public roads, rough obstacles which may require a bit of crawling, unknown terrain and so on. If someone makes a car that can’t reach 100km/h I’ll obviously have to make an exception but I’m hoping that won’t happen.

Every 5km your car travels in an Endurance stage, your driver gains (1-(drivability+comfort1,3)/100)(track roughness/4500) fatigue.
Track rougness is up in the opening post at the tire parameters and varies based on terrain.

Fatigue then factors in directly into the driving time with a factor of:
1+fatigue²*15/200
(along with damage if reliability has fallen under 40, drivability, the offroad and tire properties and a random modifier of +/-2%)
It also ties into the chance to crash with a factor of:
(1+fatigue)²
(along with a drivability derivative which is 1 at 40, 1.1 at 30, 1.26 at 20 and 1.59 at 10; and the terrain roughness divided by 50000)

The fatigue you have at the end of the endurance stage then ties into your sprint time, because the drivers can rest and repair after the event, but not before. The factor is:
1+fatigue²*15/200

I realise that could just as well be 3/40, I played around with numbers trying to find a sensible balance when making the file so not all the values are as succinct as they could be.

On some of the longer Endurance stages, everybody is pretty much doomed to be exhausted at the end, but considering that reliability starts decaying under 40, a bit of comfort will help you push any potential for crashes further towards the end of the stage, which might make all the difference.

“Clarify” probably isn’t the right word to use here… But did this answer your question? :slight_smile:

I suppose you can try? I’m not sure how that would translate, so if it doesn’t comply or work, it’s out.
However, I would note that you can swap back and forth between the versions pretty easily. I’ve done it for some challenges, you just need to remember what version you have installed at any one time.

@Rk38 love that poster by the way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love the poster and accompanying text. You have plenty of guts entering a rear-engined car in the rally but I have high hopes for you!

Hey, we all know how good the original Alpine A110 was :wink:

#[color=#016297]BAM Paginza 620 Sport[/color]

BAM is happy to enter the BAM Paginza 620 Sport into the rally. Normally it is the top-end GT car of BAM’s lineup, but it is the only suitable car for any competition purposes of the whole company. The engineers did their best to make the car as robust and reliable as possible, while still keeping the original spirit of the car. With 120 hp from an inline 6 engine, a reinforced suspension and a completely swapped drivetrain no terrain should be too rough and no stage too long. It may not be the fastest car in the competition, but hopes are high that the car qualifies for the event and BAM can use this platform to advertise the new model and a more sporty brand image.

10 Likes

Don’t forget the poor man’s Porsche: The Škoda 130 RS

1 Like

Well the DHB 330B is more like the poor man’s Škoda 130 RS :laughing:

@abg7 Thanks! But to be honest I don’t have high hopes of our cars performance, although anything can happen in this event so put my faith in the hands of lady luck.

@Der_Bayer Wow, now that’s a really classy ride!

First Order Automotive has decided to enter one of our rally prepared Tyger cars.

This one, codenamed Snow Leopard, uses our Tyger 1.8 V6 engine which has been tuned to output 140bhp.

We’ve kept it all minimalistic to keep the weight down.

5 Likes

i had to bloody well redo my car :rage:, but it’s back in a slightly redone format.

and i have something else i want to try…

Presenting the entrant from Erin into this competition:

##The Erin Merna Touring 1800R - R for [humanism]R a l l y ![/humanism]
And now, some backstory:
The Erin Merna was launched in 1961; an all purpose family runabout that has become the best selling car ever made by Erin. And unsurprisingly, the motorsport department of the company wanted to take it racing. This led to creation of the Merna Touring, a modified version with aluminium body panels, improved transmission and a stripped out interior.

This is the basis for the car Erin Motorsport is entering (not quite Erin[color=turquoise]Sport[/color] yet), a slightly more rugged version of the then two-times BTCC champion.

A 113 bhp 1.8l i4 sits under the bonnet; an engine developed for other racing projects, but it fitted right in the regulations. Some very basic aero body work has been utilised to keep the car stable over jumps, while - shameless marketing incoming - the big boot and excellent interior space mean there’s plenty of room for all the spares needed for the rally!

However good that may sound, it must be noted that Erin Motorsport had never entered into an off road rally at this point in the Erin canon, and indeed, the engineers, who were used to trying to shave times off laps around Brands Hatch, were initially confused at the idea of “racing on gravel”.

Still, there is hope in the drivers of the car; Andrew Sell, a 19 year old who would go on to drive the first WRC Merna in 1967 and take that car to 2nd place at the Rally Monte Carlo in 1968, the first of many successes in his career; Jan-Bart Vedder, a Dutchman who was pulled over for drifting his Austin A40 down a farm track while on holiday to the Isle of Purbeck in Dorset. The Policeman’s brother happened to be working for Erin Motorsport at the time, they met and the rest they say is history.

Good luck to all competitors, I’m hoping I’ll even be able to get through qualifying! :blush:

11 Likes

For RP heavy people like me, is this an event about cars people can buy off the show room floor? or is this event staged using cars preped for rally racing, and modified by the teams for that reason?

3 Likes

My guess, it could go either way. There’s a couple cars that’ve been posted up so far that are track-tuned stock vehicles. There’s a couple cars that seem to be mostly-stock. And there’s a few that are track-day one-offs.

Basically, about the best advice I can give, pick something that sounds like what your company and team would likely come up with.

My car is basically a showroom-stock model for reasons of market relevance; a marked contrast to your one-off special. However, it is the most likely entry that my company and team will consider, so I am clearly following your advice here.

Well, to be fair, it’s something my company would do in the 60’s. We had a car that could have competed if it was $3000 cheaper, didn’t have a V8, and had a smaller engine. Naturally, we’d have just made a mostly-parts-compatible car, stuck in a legal engine for the rally, and said, “Time to race. Now, where’s that book we left laying around, that ‘Rally for Dummies’ one?”

1 Like

@Lordred Definitely the former. My car is the same as the one you can/could buy at the dealership, with the same suspension and two door configuration as the sports from version, aside from the Alu body panels.

I figured that a homologated vehicle would be most realistic, and it fits in to my company’s story.

1 Like

I’ve never participated in any challenges, but this sounds like fun. I have one question to ask: “market price”, is that before or after going through the factory setup stuff?
I’ve got a 1600cc joke that rings in at AMU9800 before, so, wondering if it’s worth trying.

EDIT:

The 1960/65 Godhap & Whent Seax 4M-1600 GT - only available in RED!
Based on the known-to-be-mediocre 1960 Seax Standard 4M-1600, the “GT” engine was tuned from the Bowes-Lyon 4-101’s 60 horsepower to a whopping 65! Why does that smell like unburned petro…SHUT IT OFF!! Where was I? Oh, yes… Samuel Godhap disagreed with Martin Whent, and decided that the best way to promote their gutless shit-box was entry into some kind of sporting event… pure genius!
Samuel decided that he (A.K.A: BOSSMAN) would be the driver, and chose 73 year-old “John Smith” (codename: THE NIGHT CLEANER) as his co-driver (an interesting choice as “John” was blind in one eye and had sleep apnea).
Pulling out the back seats, fitting a manual lock diff, and some tyres from a delivery van he found in the car park, plus them “light and wing thingies” that are all the rage in rallies and he was good to go.

P.S. The chrome stickers for number 111 were quite expensive.
Two cars were prepared for this event, a 1960 and an actual 1965, he preferred the older body. (read: the other was open beta)

7 Likes

Right, time for a curveball.

so, as we know, Vincent McLaughlin and Mutahi Kamaru are the two JHW works pilots driving the JHW Lynx, a coupe with a 1760cc 18 valve V6, Hydro Suspension, and a front wheel drive 5 speed manual transmission. this is JHW’s official entry into the rally.

BUT!

Vincent has a younger brother, Donald, who is, shall we say, a bit of a dick.

now, Donald is also on the JHW payroll as a test driver, and was more than a bit miffed when his big bro was picked to represent the company in the Dalnit-Bralka Rally. so, he hatched a plan…

Donald, with the help of his friend, fellow Scotsman and all-round madman (who’s other claim to fame was an elaborate ruse posing as a defrocked priest in order to extort £1,000,000 from a 90 year old nun), Dario Bianchi, waited until Vincent left for the rally before hotwiring and “borrowing” ol’ Vinny’s daily driver, a 1947 JHW Harrier, and driving it the 2000km from Vincent’s house to the Nutsoring, to suprise him and compete against him in the 24 hour race.

can you see wy he’s considered a bit of a dick?

8 Likes

Apulum Gerula

8 Likes

At ABR, we strive to have an including environment that is nonjudgemental and takes care of all employees that are able to pull their weight. Which brings us on to Morten. Morten is a great engine mechanic, able to tweak any NA engine to the limit. However, Morten is rather… daft. And Puffster had made the mistake of letting the one who discovered the next challenge to decide on the design of that car.

The result is this, the ABR Whippersnapper: