Drag Racing Challenge ROUND 13: 3 Cylinders Light Weight Sport Budget! Deadline 15/11/2016

So it is going to be a very interested round. I can reveal that 4 of the five cars run with .5seconds of each other however at this stage there is a clear favorite. This is the final call out there is roughly 36hrs until deadline do not hesitate to send in entries even if you do not think you have a competitive car it just may surprise you!

Although I was a bit sore looser after I lost for the second time with the fastest car, I’m back at the last call :grin:

Smooth Sunny Bro

2.5 V6 and 1/4 mile just below 12s. Because being alive is over appreciated.

1 Like

After this round I will be changing the die roll system to keep racing tighter but also so that the cars that are really fast actually win as @AirJordan has noticed sometimes with the current penalties a car that should win outright can be knocked out in the first two rounds due to a poor dice roll (and personally a 1 in 6 chance is not a high enough variable)

Edit: IMPORTANT NEW INFO

New rules have come into play as of today, these include new tracks and a new penalties system to keep the racing fairer.

thanks people Banging gears out Darkshine’s

1 Like

Apologies for double post. Last roll call you have 6 hrs left from now if you do not see your vehicle on page two contact me ASAP

sad news. the supposed to be new rig has been giving me a headache all day today, so finally, i don’t have time to make a competitive car. so yeah, no car for me this round.

Is this still kicking?

1 Like

It does if I hit it with a cattle prod! :laughing:

I am doing the races now I finally have a day off from work. However after this round I cannot host any further rounds due to my work commitments and If this challenge is to continue I will require someone to step up to the plate and take over the racemaster position

4 Likes

It is a pity that the original host, @Darkshine5, is stepping down after this round due to work commitments, and I have decided against replacing him since as a relatively new user, I am not sure how to manage such a complicated contest. However, anyone who wants to take over this challenge should openly state their intent at the end of this round.

Each of the first five rounds provided a unique challenge for the entrants, from classic FWD V6 hatches and RWD wagons to turbo six-cylinder saloons, full-blown WRC cars and even cheap economy cars! I am not going to forget those rounds in a hurry, that’s for sure, and few people ever will.

1 Like

Welcome to round 5 of the DRC
Ladies and gentlemen we apologize for the delay the truth of the matter is Tim and Jim refused to drive the cars and a spare semi-tame race driver had to be found which is no easy matter.
However we were able to find a “driver”… we were sent this from a “reputable source”

We can’t get a word out of him/her (it uses the handicap toilets?) and on choosing a car to test out it’s abilities on it chose Darkshine’s own FGX XR8sprint. The car is one of only 750 and Darkshine’s only took delivery of it (after a dyno tune and boost increase of coarse) less than 2 weeks ago. Long story short the car did look like this

TO THIS THE CAR LITERALLY SHAT ITSELF AND CHANGED COLOURS

So we were somewhat confident we had found our man/women (we still don’t know) The track we are at today is a Automation track “The Swanson Proving Grounds” and we are using the 1/4 mile. Unfortunately since there is only one driver the cars have to be run one at a time so we will be using the cars fastest time as the reference point there will be no penalties this round (sorry guys just not enough time on my end)

On To The cars
Smooth Motors Smooth Sunny Bro

A unique a quirky entry with a very French inspired exterior but a not very quirky 4 seat interior with no radio or safety or buttons to play with just a odd shaped hexagon steering wheel and a small lever on the dashboard to change gears if needed, the car is equipped with a dual clutch 6sp. Engineering wise a glued alloy chassis is coated in fiberglass panels with the standard FWD suspension setup of double wishbones in the front and semi-trailing arms in the rear.
The exhaust pipes you see are real no fancy cutout just a very tight engine bay with the cats and straight thru mufflers all under the bonnet, also under that bonnet is an over-square 2.5L v6 producing 269hp @ 8100RPMS. Braking is horrendous with drums all round simple not up to the job, but the body and the quality of the panels and aero is top notch.

Track time: 11.99 @ 201KM/H

JWH Epoque

We just can’t get excited about this car, the styling is very “Indian” using minimum fixtures to get the job done (we put this done to in-experience as JWH is a new player to the DRC).
That aside this is a bloody good little car! Engineered to last with a mono body corrosion res. steel chassis and body panels made from partial Aluminium. Interestingly the car uses a solid rear axle with coils.Under he bonnet lives a stout little over-square 1.4L 4 banger with really high end internals (Billet/Titanium and lightweight forged parts used) that when modified will really respond well. The VVL profile is not optimized and the fuel is far too rich which has resulted in an overly thirsty engine that produces around 125hp @ 7700RPMS. With a bit more practice in tuning engine JWH could be on to something here as it is a great little unit just poorly optimized.
Things get a bit fancy with the drive-train however…a 7sp dual clutch box and full computer controlled internal FWD LSD (it really seams to us that JWH has built a car that the WANT people to modify and make their own with such high end components. Braking is more than sufficient with solid discs and drums. Again the Aero is ready to be tuned with a fully clad under body and huge brake air flow ducts. Inside we find 4 quite good all round seats of good quality a cd player a four speaker sound system again seams to be put their only to be pulled out and replaced (possibly with a higher cost than the car itself…we don’t know but this is clearly designed as a boy racers first car)Power steering and ABS with good quality safety features. All round a damn good little car that screams back to the original “Mini” and could be made into a pocket rocket.

Track Time: 15.64 @ 149KM/H

Bogliq Kitten Gri

The Bogliq Kitten is a DRC veteran and the latest Gri should be no exception.
Mono body ahs steel chassis lovingly wrapped in Aluminium panels with Mac struts up front and a torsion beam rear. Let me just say those LED headlights output some POWA which for Down Under is very important Kangaroo’s do a lot of damage. Under the hood is a square bore 2L with 16valve DOHC, I really liked the way the torque came in on this engine on the graph it looks like a wave in the ocean slowly peaking and falling away. This high compression engine outputs a healthy 190hp at 7900RPMS. The first car of the bunch to have a manual 6sp gearbox with a geared LSD. Braking is a little under whelming but its adequate…just.
Inside we find 4 very good standard equipment seats and trim using the exact same speakers and cd player from the “Epoque” (there must have been a sale on). Power steering and ABS as standard and adequate safety features.

Track Time: 14.61 @ 161KM/H

OMG Aldnoah

Now for something a little BIGGER. OMG is the company to beat when it comes to the DRC!
Here we have a feckin people mover from the king of the quarter? So mono body AHS steel with STEEL panels so it won’t dent at all very Russian inspired. Ah that’s more like it, under the bonnet is a V8!!! 4.9L of 32valve DOHC goodness, now keep in mind that this car has great full economy one of the best of this lot. The result is 414HP@6200RPMS and it just keeps wanting to climb this engine will make huge power when equipped with some basic over the counter modifications. A 5sp manual gearbox tries to put that power to ground via the front wheels. The brakes are piss poor they will not stop this thing period even at 60KM/H. No fancy interior here this is made to transport small horses it would seem (I’m sure I could smell horseshit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Track Time: 13.21 @ 193KM/H

F.O.A Ooook.

A very cool looking car it reminds me of a fox body mustang sorta. Engineering wise it has a glued alloy chassis with a fibreglass body with Mac struts up front and a leaf sprung solid rear. Under the hood is a revvy little under-square 1.7L v6 with a somewhat flat torque curve thanks to VVL and a power output of 187HP@8900RPMS the only issue with the engine is that being a large bore engine it is quite heavy. A 4sp manual just manages the power and it has a Auto locking diff. These cars are death traps with such little brakes. The Aero is very slippery which is good for straight line but we do NOT ever want to try to turn this car in traffic. It has 4 seats just they look more like lawn chairs and is the only vehicle to have a launch control system…but no power steering or ABS and if you have a fender bender you will die a horrible a slow death.

Track Time: 13.53@175KM/H

Birch Motors Apex

Why hello little maz…wait that’s something a little more exciting. The Apex delivers! an AHS steel and alloy bones and body with a proper rear torsion setup a car that can turn stop and accelerate. And it gets better under the bonnet the 2.8L produces 280hp that’s a staggering 10hp per 100mls of displacement. The car is equipped with a 7sp manual gearbox and automatic locking LSD, a car that is actually far over-braked (finally) with big vented/solid discs. the car does produce usable down force while cornering but that’s not what we are here for, still it is a welcome change. A standard set of 4 seats is on par with the Bogliq Kitten and the stereo is…yep you guessed it the same unit as used in the Epoque and the Kitten. you do get ABS but no power steering and no safety features, just seat-belts.

_Track Time:_13.74@180KM/H

Howler Automotive Crawlington Slowboat.

Hmmm what have we here? So little expression on that front end it looks like it is one of those characters from a farm simulator just wishing that someone would come and put them out of their misery. But under that sad looking face is a glued chassis with fiberglass panels and a proper rear torsion setup. The I opened the hood WTF that engine is massive, let me get the specs sheet. 2.6L…wait only 2.6L those heads are huge I though this was a 5L (must have used the same design as a ford mod motor). So it’s a 2597cc cross-plane V8 with VVT and huge compression and the sound is just right lumpy at idle but that 9500 Redline is no joke neither is the 277hp she produces. A 5sp dual clutch puts power down thru a electronic LSD, braking is meh but still light years ahead of some competitors and it even uses drums all round at that! The interior is very basic with the same lawn chair stye seats as the Oook and don’t expect a stereo or airbags at this price.

Track Time: 12.00@207KM/H

And Finally the last vehicle to be produced as the racemaster of this challenge.
DSD Kei

Our own take on the small car segment for Japan…We ended up selling 4 worldwide but producing 60000 complete units which we will have to melt down to make more engines.
Glued alloy mono body with fiberglass panels mac struts and torsion rear end. Now we don’t do 6’s or 4’s or 12’s here at DSD we do crossplane v8’s the unit we chose for the kei was/is an experimental unit that uses 3 valves per cylinder and is a completly cast iron block and heads with a bore/stroke of 85/64.6mm and a total capacity of 2933cc, which resulted in 307hp@7800RPMS. Equipped with a 4sp manual and viscous LSD our downfall were the brakes the rears were up to the job but the fronts were just crap. Now we must admit our safety and interior is well it’s the shittiest of the lot there is no way around that.

Track Time: 13.56@187KM/H

SO the results from slowest to fastest.

8th: JWH Epoque 15.64
7th: Bogliq Kitten Gri 14.61
6th: Birch Motors Apex 13.74
5th: DSD Kei 13.56
4th: First Order Automotive Oook 13.53

3rd Overall OMG Aldnoah 13.21

2nd Overall: Howler Automotive Crawlington Slowboat 12.00

WINNER 1ST OVERALL:.Smooth Motors Smooth Sunny Bro 11.99

@koolkei please review and choose your champions pick

Thank you to everyone that has supported the DRC up to here I really hope that someone will take on the Racemaster role and this challenge will continue.

Banging gears out (for the last time) Darkshine’s

Edit: I must apologize I had the 1-2 around the wrong way I need sleep and more day’s off I can’t think straight

3 Likes

Congrats @HowlerAutomotive and @AirJordan! The DRC is one of my favorite challenges, I really hope it gets picked up. I’d offer but I’m obviously not a creative person and could never hope to run this competition the way @Darkshine5 does. That said, thanks Darkshine for all your time and work!

1 Like

LAST! YAY!

i will admit the Epoque was just that little bit before i got engine tuning better, but i’m glad you liked the car itself :smiley:

that’s one off the beauty’s of these challenges you learn really how to play the game. your car was very good it’s just a matter of time and practice.

1 Like

Dude what? You haven’t even participated here. At least do not narrate topics you don’t contribute to.

@Darkshine5 Thank you for the effort, it’s been great :slight_smile: I hope you find a race master, otherwise we will gladly wait for you to continue when/if you’ll be ready. Even if it’s over, the circle has been complete. I won first and last challenge :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i could take over (i have way too much free time), but it would have to be OK with @Darkshine5

1 Like

The challenge will not end I will not close it under any circumstances if I have to I will continue as host but the time between events will be longer.

In Breaking news the racemaster position has fallen! Darkshine's has been dropped from the top job!
His replacement a peppy new face to the Game and the DRC @JohnWaldock.
The DRC community will forever be a different place. The DRC board has decided new blood is needed whether it's wanted or not.
Time will tell how Mr Waldock goes, but the general consensus at DRC HQ is this is the man for the job. Darkshine's gave this small comment.

"I will miss hosting the DRC, however my ranger duties must take preference. I wish the best of luck to our new Racemaster. And thank you everyone for an awesome 5 events. Banging gears out."
2 Likes

give me some time and i will PM you

well congrats @johnwaldock on being the new racemaster, i hope you will continue our pride and joy just as it is currently, or even better, we will be seeing your work in the future

goddamit, i did not meant to make such a formal sounding post. but you guys get the gist of it.

3 Likes

right, i will post round 6’s rules later today, it’s gonna be a little different than last round…:wink:

1 Like

" cought , cought "… will you? :smirk:

1 Like