Duplicating car models

Reasoning behind this question is to be more lore abiding with my companies.

Is there a way of creating a “default” model of a car and then clone it to a brand new model?

I want to set up a set of base cars for each era between 1945 and 2018. I can then “clone” this base model and tweak it for Community Challenges.

I’ve tried importing an exported car but it only overwrites the existing one. :frowning:

And people might object to getting a whole wedge of trims for the challenges. :laughing:

I hope this makes sense…I’ve only rewritten it 3 times!!

2 Likes

The way we will handle a model’s legacy will be something new to the light campaign V3 mode. While you won’t be able to clone the whole model, you’ll be able to clone the template structure of trims for your model to a new car in your lineup, even reusing the same engines, etc. More details about this will come in the next weeks and months on our way to LC V3 :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Forgive me for bumping an old topic, but I didn’t want to create a new thread for exactly the same question.

It would be nice to be able to duplicate Car Models in Sandbox (killrob’s answer dealt with the campaign, where it makes perfect sense), or at least to be able to export a trim, then change the name and reimport it separately instead of overwriting the existing vehicle.

Why?

Well, consider you have a sandbox car with a number of trims, and you want to make a racing version of it (with different chassis, panel material and suspension). It would be great to be able to work from the template of one of your trims for that, already having the exact body formation and exact fixture location, allowing to fully base your race car on the intricate model you made.

I am aware you can make two cars following the same steps (as I did for the ASCAR challenge) but this becomes difficult when you made the car weeks ago and have to basically reverse engineer your fixture placement and eyeball your body formation.

2 Likes

With the new underlying structure of cars and their engines this would be a bit easier to do, although it certainly is not high on our list of things to implement right now, as it is not something common you would do in campaign play, nor in sandbox really. :slight_smile:

1 Like