ESC85 - Executive Sports Car 1985 - Build a BMW 535 Beater - Closes 22nd March

I’ve changed that - I think it’s more or less impossible to get that much power under these rules anyway…

It should be 95 RON premium unleaded - the lowest such kind of unleaded petrol available in Europe. Also:

I take that to mean no knocking, valve float or stressed internals (from RPM or torque loads). As for this:

Does this apply to the whole car or to each individual slider?

Last but not least, I think you have forgotten to include engine and trim PU/ET limits.

Anyway, the cars we expect to see in this challenge will be very reminiscent of something a drug lord would drive through Miami back in '85.

1 Like

95 RON premium - you are correct - thank you - I’ll amend that.

Engine Stress - Correct, obviously if you had those things it would wreck your reliability scores anyway

Quality - each individual slider

Does this car have to met american market regulations ? Thats is to say side marker lights et big bumpers like in the video.

Hiya - no it isn’t a rule - but if you did that and pointed it out in your text file with your car - that would most definitely be a plus when judging - this competition is about combing authenticity with a really well polished build both in beam and automation.

This challenge is a job for Lacam Ornon next generation. :wink:

1977 Lacam Ornon III

1 Like

So, just to be clear, the regional rules aren’t hard rules, are they? I think that those are pretty subjective, and I would hate to have a car be penalized in judging if someone built:

an American car that isn’t “lower quality”
an Italian or Japanese car that isn’t “less comfortable”
a Swedish car that isn’t overweight
etc.

Just want to know how this part would be judged, as these subjective limitations could be stifling.

4 Likes

Hello,

No the regions aren’t hard rules - they are examples.

Your car will be judged by your own philosophy. The Caveat being some degree of realism so if you justify a German car as having a lower top speed, that wouldn’t be realistic as they have the autobahn - or a Swedish car having lower safety, that also wouldn’t be particularly realistic.

You are free to set your own philosophy but if it’s realistic and insightful - that will be rewarded.

My advice - include as much information as you can or want to - and it will all be taken into account in the judging and featured in any video showcase of your car.

2 Likes

1985 Centauri Raider GTZ
The American sedan designed to beat those European imports.

More info cause why not.

The GTZ trim is the top level package, featuring a touring style suspension setup, larger wheels and 235 width tires, with more aggressive rubber. Under the hood a special High Output version of the tried and true Centauri 4 liter V6 making over 180hp and 220lbft of torque through a true dual exhaust system gives this sedan a healthy power boost over it’s lesser stable mates. The GTZ package also nets you 4 wheel disk brakes, and inside the front and rear bench seats are replaced with premium velour upholstered bucket seats up front, and a pair of sculptured cushioned seats with a integrated center armrest to help bolster rear passengers. Also exclusive to the GTZ is the optional 5 speed manual transmission, which when equipped comes with a limited slip differential to help control all that torque through the front wheels.

Full disclosure
I owned one of these
e79242fffa4674ccf591fe2f98e277e1
And wanted one of these
unnamed%20(2)

So this is kind of my tribute to late 80’s GM cars, engineered right.

7 Likes

That is super nice! Love the similarities between your design and your real car.

Hmm nice challenge…

Hold my brännvin (Swedish Liquor), I’m gonna do this…
Opens Swedish Mayonnaise for eating (ROSMT reference)

SWEDISH STYLE!!!

2 Likes

There’s no mention of a set of attributes for an Australian sports sedan of this era (the only example of which would have been the HDT VK Commodore); however, the closest equivalent would be an American “muscle sedan”:

At any rate, I am definitely considering such an approach if I choose to enter this challenge.

1 Like

you’re welcome to set your own philosophy… if there’s more than one entry from your region I’ll award a prize to the best one.

Taking some Mayonnaise before posting

1985 Mostima - 8500 T5

SWEDISH STYLE!!!

A Sensible car for sensible people.