Flop404's barge - BMW 540i Touring (E39)

As the people who followed my lore thread might have guessed, I have a thing for the quirky, slightly absurd cars. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a Multipla proudly riding through town, so how can I justify driving some Deutsche Qualität, luxury vehicle ?

Well, it’s a V8, and I live in France. For you americans, a V8 in France is about as common as a Yugo in the US.

With taxes on large displacement making a comeback lately, with gasoline costing around 6$ a gallon, and living in the centre of a large city, having a 4.80 wagon with close to 300 hp is slightly absurd.

But then, at the price of a used city car, I bought myself something that, in power, gas economy, and footprint, is close to three city cars !

I’m having a blast with it, especially for family trips were the silent ride and overall comfort - but also enjoying the growl of the V8 whenever the kids aren’t there…

And as it is full stock, in a bland grey, and basically looks like a low-spec, accountant model, I cannot get enough of the surprised looks whenever I rev it a bit :wink:

9 Likes

Look there’s some boring banker with his grey BMW 518 diesel Touring.

Revs engine.

:no_mouth::hushed::open_mouth:

3 Likes

Exactly this.

Now, one day I hope I’ll be able to get myself a E61 M5 (and to pay for its maintenance costs… So, a distant perspective).

I’d then try to do the opposite of what most BMW owners do, which is to replace the “M Pack” with a standard pack, to hide the screaming V10 under a mundane family wagon look

Wot.

Ni :b: :b:a diesel fuel is like 7$/gal here, where the f do you live?

send nudes I love the e39 aesthetic :heart_eyes:

Gasoline is about 1.5€ per liter here in France, which actually is more like 6.5$/gal.

Well, at least I think it’s about 1.5$ per liter, I tend to close my eyes and try not to think of the cost whenever I have to put fuel in the barge - which is quite often, actually…

Most of the pictures I have are rather of the technical part, to try and help me remembering were the screws where whenever I have to dismount something :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Lol here in California, the most expensive state for gas besides Alaska and Hawaii (for obvious reasons,) gas is around $3.59/gal to $3.99/gal depending on where you go, or translated to European, 0.82/liter-0.91/liter euros.

National average is $2.85/gal, or 0.65/liter euros. :slight_smile:

And we think that’s high. National average was about $1.70/gal in part of 2015, or 0.39/liter euros.

So, in Australian terms, you’re paying $1.43/L.
Might have to move there. Filled up a few days ago, guy behind the counter told me that 5 minutes earlier, the price went up by 22 cents/L (effectively 16%). To make the numbers even more fun, exise back in 2016 was (Aus) 40c/L = USD $1.13/ U.S. Gal (then there’s the 10% GST on top of that).

That is a decent mix of pace and practicality. Enough said.