Generations [LORE, UE4] [FINAL RESULTS]

Birmingham HQ, Alabama:
Roland: the 7000 was a flop. I think we have exhausted our premium cars, we need to go downmarket or we could be in trouble
Chief designer Reginald: don’t worry, I have something cooking up already; would you care to have a look?
Roland: sure, hopefully you know what you’re doing…

6 Likes

ACA HQ: Lansing, Michigan. | December 10th 1951

Conway storms into the design room

Conway: The hell is this?! What the hell is going on. "Poor drivability, relatively low comfort and prestige for the price, poor offroad". What the hell are you guys doing?! Dammit, our reputations fucking ruined. Dammit, Dammit, Dammit!

Design Staff: Sir, I don’t know, we designed it to specification.

Conway: Well clearly that specification was shit. Listen, I want a new fucking car to replace this travesty of a model ASAP. In the mean while, improve the current car, make it better, I don’t give a damn what you do just make the damn car sellable. Otherwise we’re knee deep in shit…

9 Likes

Dale Rathbone’s Summer Cottage: Traverse City, Michigan
Joe: Did you read the reviews?
Dale: Yeah. You were right. I should have sent them the V8 with overdrive
Elizabeth: I told you.
Dale: Well! I wanted to showcase the Lux-O-Matic. It’s very trendy these days.
Joe: Only to those starch shirts downtown. Besides, it’s new! There’s always problems with the new stuff.
Dale: No! It’s not good enough! Elizabeth, I want you to get Jerry and Robert on the phone. They’re going to start working together!
Elizabeth: Sure Hun! Anything else?
Joe: Now don’t go overboard! Fun is fun, but remember, this is our flagship brand.
Dale: I know! But if we have another black eye like this in the press, well we might as well sell our asses to the big guys right now! I want to hand this company down to my children.
Elizabeth: Dale! You weren’t supposed to tell!
Joe: That’s okay Liz. We knew you were getting a little chunky around the middle.

6 Likes

Ardent Headquarters

Tuesday, August 7th, 1951

“Explain this one to me,” Jack sneered at the department heads gathered around the table. “Explain to me how we can beat Bogliq in Europe, but we seem to have a hard time defending our home turf?”

“Wrong eng…” John Case started, but was cut off.

“Wrong everything. Wrong engine. Wrong suspension setup.” Jack slammed the copy of Motor Review World on the table. “This isn’t the first time they’ve dragged us through the mud because our cars can’t handle any. What, do we only sell in California? New York?”

“No, s-sir,” Clarence stammered.

Jack slowly sat down. “Damn right, Clarence. We sell to all fifty States, all ten Canadian Provinces, and two thirds of both Europe and Latin America. You guys think there isn’t any mud in Alabama? Wyoming? What about Brazil? Huh?”

The room fell silent. Jack picked up a cigarette and moved to light it, but stopped. He shook his head and set it down in the tray, unlit. “Stanton, do you think the W1 will work in rural areas?”

Glass shook his head. “Too small. That’s A1 territory.”

“We need something other than the A1. Those guys at Deer and Hunt have been trying to muscle in on that market.”

“The Vela refresh is almost done, Mr. Chancellor,” Desmond interjected. “It’ll be harder for them to do that against a relaunched line.”

Jack nodded. “Good. But we need to do better in the middle. I want ideas, people. Two weeks, come back and pitch what you’ve got.”

8 Likes

Round 3 - 1957

The States are no longer in an active war, with the Korean campaign ending in an armistice. However, the Cold War is setting in as tensions with the Soviets remain high. Still, at home, the streak of prosperity seems to continue unabated. Economic news as of late has been mixed. The GDP growth has slowed a couple times, unemployment has fluctuated, but also the minimum wage was increased in 1956 to $1/hr. Suburban boom is still in full swing, televisions and telephones seem to be a staple for homes across the country, and The King is rocking and rolling his way across the country. On the automotive front, June of 1956 sees the signing of the Federal Aid Highway Act, signaling the start of the Interstate highway system. Many existing highways and turnpikes are rolled in, and 20 years of expansion and construction are about to begin… But there is also social unrest at home. Senator McCarthy has conducted Senate hearings to root out Communism in the US, and Brown vs. Board of Education has determined that segregated schooling is not Constitutional, setting up the scene for unrest in the South. In November 1956, the US has is presidential election with Eisenhower being re-elected.

Economy

Unemployment: Low to Moderate
Inflation: Low to Moderate
Economy: Growing slower than inflation
Short-term economic forecast: Recession

Notable Social and Political Happenings

End of Korean War. Cold War with the Soviet Union. Congress authorizes construction and expansion of Interstate highways. Suburban flight is in full swing. Racial tension in the South about to reach a boiling point. McCarthyism and anti-Communist sentiment. Polio vaccine introduced. Rise of Rock and Roll.

Regulations

Fuel: Leaded (universal), Super Leaded (common)
Bumpers: Required, but no regulation as to size or strength.
Front lights and fixtures: At least one pair of headlights required. At least one pair of turn indicators required. Turn signals may be placed in bumpers.
Front light colors: No red may face forward.
Rear lights: At least one pair of brake lights. At least one pair of turn signals. At least one pair of reverse lights. Turn signals and reverse lights may be placed in bumpers. If turn and brake lights are in the same fixture and of the same color, there must be a minimum of two bulbs in the fixture.
Rear light colors: Brakes must be red. Reverse must be white. Turn signals cannot be white.
Side marker/signal lights: not required until 1963
Side light colors: amber only
Mirrors: Driver’s side required.
Aerials: Long mast antenna required if car has a radio.
Fuel fillers: Fillers on the rear panel and hidden behind fixtures are legally allowed.

File Naming Convention:

Model: Gen3-(username) Trim: (MFR Model Trim)
Engine: Gen3-(username) Variant: (Whatever you want)
Export and PM me the .car file, make a post about your car in your lore thread (if not already there), and post an ad in this thread BEFORE the round deadline.

If your company hasn’t registered for the competition yet and you want to participate in this round, please PM the required company information as well as your submission prior to the round deadline.

Round 3 deadline: Thursday May 10, 9:00 AM PDT (UTC-8)

Registrations for new companies are still being accepted.

Companies now eligible in this competition:

IP Automotive, LTD

8 Likes

1956, Sinistra Motors Headquarters, Nevada

“Okay, who’s the fucking smart-ass who did this?” Luke Sinistra demanded, pointing into the engine bay of what was supposed to be a low-budget family cruiser.

“Well, um… We had a few problems with… scaling that V8 up. So we… Kinda went back to what we know.” Mark Jasper said, grinning lightly. “On the plus side, that new carburettor is really nice, isn’t it?”

“Five years, Mark. I gave your design team five years to give me a V8. You gave me an inline triple in 1952. A four-cylinder in 1954. Where. The fuck. Is my V8?”

“Well… It’s complicated.” Mark replied.

“I swear, Mark, if you sold it to the fuckin’ Commies, you’ll be in front of a firing squad. The last thing we need is them having our V8 designs, after all I went through to get it here. So tell me, what is so god-damn complicated about what you did to fuck up our plans.”

“We… We couldn’t figure out the crankshaft. That twist in the middle, it’s… Difficult.”

“So you gave me this. You didn’t think to take the inline four’s crank and link the cylinders? At least that would’ve been a V8. Sure, it would’ve sounded strange, but this does not scream ‘budget car’ at all.”

“Better than nothing, though. Or using the same old engine again. Trust me on this, it’ll sell well.” Mark said.

“We’ll see. If this flops and we have another fuck-up on our hands, Mark, our next conversation will be regarding your term of employment here, and the non-competes in your contract.”

(Figured a bit of lore-building was appropriate.)

9 Likes

8 Likes

After hours on 3 April 1952

Fenton and Everette dined late that night talking business. They both knew their success as a car manufacturer wouldn’t ride endlessly on a single model and so came this meeting. Everette lit a cigarette and took a drag.

“Don’t get me wrong. The GT is a model worth keeping around.” he said to Fenton. “But its never going to have mass appeal.”

“I beg to differ,” Fenton responded. “I think it already has mass market appeal. We can barely keep up with demand. People want this thing”

Everette took another drag on his cigaratte. On exhale, he countered.

“No disrespect, but don’t kid yourself. $9600?” he continued. “That’s over half my annual salary. Now imagine Jo Schmo who’s actually buildin the thing for 50 cents an hour. You think a GT is in his future?”

Fenton swirled the glass of scotch he had in front him and slowly lifted it for a sip. There was certainly no denying what Everette had to say. Independent suspension, V8 engine, mastercraft interior - the GT was a dream car at very least.

“I suppose you’re right. I don’t see the car ever falling below $7000.” He took another gulp. “What do you propose?”

Without missing a beat, Everette dropped the bomb. “I’m saying we build a car for Jo Schmo. Something a guy can afford at the end of the year.”

Now it was Fenton who wasn’t missing a beat.

“Everette, just… hang on. The giants already have that one in their pants pockets. I… that would be suicide.” He reached for his drink again but paused right before it touched his lips. “You remember why we’re having this conversation right?”

“Fenton, I get it.” Everette said, cigaratte in his mouth. He removed it and continued. “But, hear me out. I really think we have a shot at it. I mean, we kicked the Krauts’ asses in the war but not before they totally pulverized the Europe. So now the US is the world’s only industrial power; people are buying stuff like crazy. If there was ever a time for something new, its now.”

Everette paused for a second to take a drink.

“Plus, the public is fickle. If we build something accessible and practical, it might help guard the GT’s image. Its selling well now, but sooner or later the press is going to catch up to it. You read the Motor World Review a few months back right?”

“Yes.” Fenton replied. He finished his drink and set the glass down.

“I think you might be right” Fenton finally admitted. “We need something that everyone could buy and that anyone could drive. And something that could survive an invasion by the damned Reds.”

Fenton reached in his coat pocket for his stogie. He popped out a cigar and while cutting the end, he looked over at Everette.

“I don’t want you to spend too much time on this just yet since we’ve a lot of problems that need attention. But put together a proposal. We’ll revisit this in a month or two.”

8 Likes

Should I submit the trim that I want to give or give all the trim of that car?

1 Like

Only the trim you wish to have considered/graded. You may make references to other trims when you post your ad and/or in your lore thread, of course.

5 Likes

Bogliq USA HQ

Detroit, Michigan

Strategic Planning Session, October, 1951

“The way I see it, we only have two rivals, Epoch and Ardent, and we’ve got both running scared” declared Jake Mulligan, head of Bogliq’s marketing division. “We’re untouchable right now so why worry?”

“Because you’re looking too small, Mulligan. You’ve missed the forest for the trees!” Retorted Konstantin. “All these quasi-luxury brands just have to move a little bit down-market and, BAM!!!, our market-share is cut in half!”

“Yeah, but why would they? Caliban has no interest in budget cars, it’d dilute their brand identity!” replied Jake. “Same goes for the rest of 'em. There’s major headaches in going from high profit, low volume, to low profit, high volume manufacturing; the changeover will kill them!”

“But not all of them. Some WILL survive. We need to pre-empt this vulnerability and make it so that the budget end of town is the toughest neighbourhood; too tough for those dandies from richey-dich, lah-de-dah tinseltown!” And with that final statement Konstantin left the meeting. Being at the top was hard, you had to make lightning strike the same place twice! But giving up wasn’t an option. Thankfully the Mutineer had provided Bogliq USA with a nice, fat, war chest to keep the company from fading gently into the night…

9 Likes

The new 1957 Sinistra Raider, either the greatest achievement known to the common man, or a motoring company being sabotaged from within, depending on who you chose to believe. Two parts family car, mixed with one part V12 engine, a pinch of front-wheel-drive, and just a dash of class.

The V Engine Luke had wanted was still yet to arrive, but now they at least had a V-shaped engine. Their marketing was designed to hook the attention of cylinder-counters, those looking at the fours and sixes and thinking “I’d rather have 8.” Why have 8 when you could have 12, a whole half-an-engine more? Sure, the displacement is lower, but it claims to have ‘startling torque’ and it’ll go 100 miles per hour despite not having 100 horsepower.

The various ads Sinistra threw out there tried to capitalize on the car’s improved handling and that 12 cylinder engine. “Fighter planes had 12 cylinders, and now you can have them in your own car,” was a common tag-line for Radio ads. Luke even went so far as to make a TV commercial, getting a local barn-stormer to chase the Sinistra Raider in his plane while a camera crew rode in a heavily-modified Sinistra Swift pickup truck, filming the chase as the Raider raced across the desert.

In the chase, one of the photographers got a picture of the car that just seemed to capture it the best, and that was used for the main print ad.

6 Likes

What is the required company information?

@Aaron.W please read the OP HERE which will tell you all you need to know!

1 Like

Is this amber?

yes

1 Like

The MY57 TSR Kansai SL Fallwing

Introducing the TSR Kansai SL Fallwing. But first, we will introduce you to the Kansai line-up first. The Kansai was intended to be a GT car. It entered the US market only last year (1956). It’s one of the most advanced cars at its time. Featuring an independent rear suspension and a 4.8 litre DOHC V8 engine, it will produce 278HP to 338HP (depending on trim). The trims are SM, SA, SSM, SSA, SX, SL and the new SL Fallwing trim. The one we’re talking about is the SL Fallwing, the most luxurious trim. It features a hand-made interior and a phonograph. With the most comfortable suspension setup TSR has ever made, that makes this the most comfortable Kansai ever made. It’s starting price is $106170 with 90% mark-up.

-SL Fallwing trim shown

Buy the most popular GT car in the US! Don’t let the competition pass you, be better than everyone. Buy the most advanced car. Buy the TSR Kansai.

5 Likes

literally was i was posting about just 16d ago above

1 Like

Also, even if Jaguar and some others were early adopters of OHC technology, it was mostly on inline engines, OHC on V-engines was very uncommon until at least the 70s, Ford had their 427" SOHC in the 60s which was pure racing stuff and then there was the Mercedes V8s in the late 60s/early 70s… Probably because a V-engine with its dual heads requires a much more complicated chain or belt transmission for the camshafts, and also, while OHC on an inline engine only makes it higher, it will make a V engine both higher and wider which will require a large engine bay. But thats just my own theory.

2 Likes

Birmingham HQ car park:
Roland: waht is that?, pointing at a tiny green car with black steel wheels.

reginald: Its what we are calling a supercompact
roland: can i take it for a drive
gets in the car, it has a lot of space inside for its size, and can seat 5
reginald: its the 1st model, dont expect it to be perfect, ok?
roland: it is very easy to park, i must say, and its actually fairly fast and very agiile. how much power does it have?
reginald: only 45, but the launch model should have at least 50.
roland: 45bhp?! this thing has a 0-60 time of 12 seconds, it must have at least 100bhp.
reginald: nope, 45. it only wieghs 560kg. And it FWD
roland: FWD? im not too sure about this, sinistras FWD car in 1951 was a faliure.
regiald: yes, but it was heavy. in a car like this it makes more sense. also, we have the new radial tires, and they are extra wide to make this car even easier to drive.
roland: i have to say, this drives almost as well as a full sized car, and how come there is so much space?
reginald: theres no drive shaft, the engine connnects straight to the wheels.
roland: i only have one more question, is it safe?
reginald: lets see for oursleves.
arrive back at factory and see another supercompact, this time blue opposite the 1951 7000
roland: what are you doing?
regianlad: just watch.
the 2 cars speed accross the car park and crash into each other, the 7000 instantly crumples whilst the supercompact stays in 1 piece.
roland: what kind of magic have you used here?
reginald: advanced safety, sir
roland: put this thing into production, now!!
reginald: yes, boss

10 Likes