Hybrid Beaters League

I’m going to make several posts in a row real quick. Those of you who experienced my CSR round will know what’s about to happen.

The reviews here are in the same order as I received them. Amusingly, the pictures up at the top, for the voting on the best looking car, are in the same order as the reviews. Call it a moment of brilliant laziness if you wish, but… It worked for me.

Rather than taking all new pictures for this stage, I’ll take new pictures of the cars after I make the first round of cuts. I’ll try to have this all wrapped up before the end of 2016.

Luke looked at the parking lot full of cars, each and every one of them built to the demanding specifications of the Hybrid Beaters League. Not one of those cars would have less than 50 MPG, they would all have at least four doors and four seats, and they would get that 50 MPG on regular unleaded fuel.

On a shelf in the garage were envelopes, organized in the order the cars arrived, with basic stats and the keys to the cars themselves inside. Luke grabbed the first one and carefully opened it, removing the specifications sheet, some promotional material, and a set of keys.

@conan

First to arrive had been the Mitsushita Karna 2.0E, a nice and simple station wagon with slightly-old-school styling. “Well, they didn’t lie with the promotional material. Mitsushita did say that the Karna has been in production since 2012, and it definitely looks that way. But that’s not a bad thing, boring blends in, hides in the crowd. No one would look at the Karna and say anything about it being outlandish or wild looking, it’s just another family cruiser station wagon. It doesn’t look super aerodynamic, and yet they claim 54 MPG with it.” Luke said, taking notes with a simple voice recorder this time.

He carefully opened the door, feeling the satisfying mechanical clunk of the door latch mechanism. “That feels incredibly well made. Someone paid attention to details on these, but if they’ve been made since 2012, then Mitsushita has had plenty of time to get it right.”

Luke settled into the driver’s seat, a fairly standard cloth seat, pretty much what you’d expect in your average eco car. What he wasn’t expecting was a message left from the company on the steering wheel, written on a simple sticky note.

“To further push the idea of ‘eco friendly,’ the seats in your Mitsushita Karna are all manufactured from renewable resources.”

“That is actually a really good thing.” Luke said, after reading the note out loud. “Doesn’t matter how much effort we put into saving the world with better cars if we’re killing thousands of cows a day just to upholster the interiors of those cars.”

He looked to the radio, seeing the rather basic AM/FM/CD job with an Input jack for a phone. “Actually, I’m somewhat pleased to see that, as basic as it is. It’s simple, yes, but it’s functional. We’ve also got two airbags, so while it’s not perhaps the safest car, it’s safe enough. Let’s take a little look under the hood and see what we have this time.”

Luke pulled the hood release and got out of the car, lifting the hood and getting his first glimpse at…

“Large plastic cover with the Mitsushita logo on it. Looks like we’ve got direct fuel injection, single manifold with a nice factory air box. The specifications sheet says it’s a magnesium block with AlSi heads, so it’s very light. V6, DOHC, has some form of VVL in it, 2 liter displacement. Really not a bad engine. Makes 138 horsepower at 6300 RPM, 138 ft-lb of torque at 3300 RPM, and redlines at 7000 RPM. Nice little engine. Also, from what I’ve heard, these are incredibly reliable V6 engines, so I’m looking forward to seeing lots of these on the road. No planned obsolescence here, these will be driving around long after most other cars.”

After closing the hood, Luke grabbed the old camera on a stick to see what the exhaust system looked like on the Karna. “Long tubular headers, combined to one exhaust, a three-way catalytic converter, and twin baffled mufflers. 1.5 inch piping, and everything’s ceramic-coated stainless according to the data sheets. We’re not blowing a dirty great hole in these pipes, that’s certain.

Luke settled back into the driver’s seat, closed the door, and started the engine. “Pleasant engine note. It’s present while idling and with a few revs, you can hear it, but it’s nothing that can’t be drowned out with the radio.”

He reached for the gear stick, carefully put the Karna in first gear, and set off on his first of many long drives. “Nice, high quality 5 speed manual gearbox. I’ve built cars that don’t have a gearbox that feels this good between throws. She’ll get to 60 in 9.3 seconds, and it feels like it’s based around an old 4 speed with fourth as an overdrive, and then there’s an overdrive on top of that for this nice fuel efficiency in the cruise. Basically, at any speed above 20 miles per hour, you throw it in fifth and just let the V6’s massive torque curve drag you along. Then when you’re out on the highway doing 75 miles per hour, the engine’s still only turning about 2200 RPM, and the fuel efficiency is impressive at that speed. You combine this with the fact that it’s a five-seat wagon, and you’ve got a bonus for the family that loves their camping trips in the mountains. Highly resistant to corrosion because of the AHS steel chassis and the mix of corrosion resistant steel and aluminum panels, saving weight while saving money. And there’s no doubt on there being tons of room in the back behind the rear seat, which also folds flat, by the way. The Karna’s set the bar really high right off the bat, and I’m glad to see that. Only thing to be concerned about is that when I really push it, when I really lean on that engine to pass some of these cars on the highway, I can see the temperature rising perhaps a bit faster than I’d like to see. But with reliability rivaling the finest of old watches and clocks, I doubt this will be much of an issue for the average person. Especially if you just relax, drop it in fifth, turn on the radio, and go for a little cruise.”

Luke drove back to the Nevada Headquarters and parked the Mitsushita Karna back in the parking spot, shut it down, and got out carefully, giving the car a little more respect after finding out just how reliable it really was. While he’d been out, he’d seen several of the Karna’s older siblings still dashing about the highways, with very few changes in body style between them.

Luke settled at his writing desk, grabbed the stylus for his tablet, paused for a moment, then set the stylus down and decided instead to just upload the thoughts he’d had while driving, with one final statement.

“Mitsushita set the bar really high with the Karna. While it’s somewhat an ugly duckling on the outside, it’s what’s inside that counts, and what it has inside is a very reliable setup. There’s not much that can upset the Karna, and in this case, the only mild hiccup it has is that when you’re driving it really hard in a hundred-degree dry day, the temperature hits the very edge of the yellow “Hey, it’s getting hot” band on the gauge. But with reliability like it has, even if you did that every day, I doubt the Karna would dare break down on you. It’s got a reputation to keep, after all.”

@Dorifto_Dorito

Luke opened the next envelope and grabbed the data sheet and keys, as no promotional material had been delivered for the EADC Weasel. As he walked to the parking lot, it wasn’t hard to spot the bright white 5 door hatch sitting next to the Karna, with the aggressive styling that may have been more appropriate on a hot hatch.

“Supposedly, this car, the EADC Weasel, is capable of 54 MPG. We’ll also have to see if it’s entirely deserving of those aggressive, sporty looks, or whether this is a sheep in wolf’s clothing.” Luke said, before opening the door and settling into the driver’s seat.

“Again, cloth seats, but there’s only four of them. Same basic kind of radio as the Karna as well, but I’m pleased to see the huge quantity of air bags scattered around the interior here. Still, you’d think with all these air bags, the safety would be much better, so this is a little worrying… Ah, this is interesting. AHS steel chassis, but fiberglass body panels. So it’s naturally super light, but they’re not known for being the safest. Still, I give credit where it’s due, that’s brave.” Luke then pulled the hood release and got out, taking care as he lifted the hood not to crack the fiberglass in his strong grip.

“Inline 3, DOHC, 5 valve per cylinder, so there’s no VVL in this one. 1.4 liters of displacement, all AlSi construction, performance intake on DFI with individual throttle bodies. Bold move, but maybe EADC was trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of their little engine while maintaining efficiency. Redline at 6000 RPM, peak power is 88.3 horsepower at redline, and we have 99.4 ft-lb of torque at 2500 RPM.” Luke then used the camera to look at the exhaust, then continued with, “Short cast header, single exhaust with a high-flow catalytic and twin baffled mufflers, with 1.25 inch piping. Interesting. I give credit where it’s due, it’s not a bad engine, just that it’s polar opposite designs between the first car and this one. One’s a wagon, the other’s a hatch. One has a very small V6, the other has an average-sized inline 3. And I suppose that’s the interesting half of this, seeing all the different ways to come to the same conclusion of greater-than-50 MPG.”

Luke closed the hood and went to get back into the car when he spotted something through the rather large alloy rims. “Very interesting. Carbon ceramic brake disks. Well, I suppose if you’re chasing light weight, it makes sense, but then why did you use alloy rims when magnesium may have been lighter? There was a little room left in the budget.”

He settled back into the car, then started the engine, listening as he heard the quiet buzz of the inline 3 from under the hood. “Reasonably quiet, so it’s not blasting your ears off, but it’s there.” Grabbing the shift knob and pulling it into first, Luke then set off on the second long drive of the day. “Not as nice of a linkage and transmission as the Karna, but still, a really nice driving car. And it’s rear wheel drive, so it’s certainly an interesting little hatch. It’s got enough punch to the engine to chirp and squeal through first gear if you really beat on it, but if you’re reasonable, it won’t be a problem. Six gears, and it definitely feels like a normal 6 speed. Sixth is an overdrive, but only just, and at 75, she’s buzzing at 3750 to 3800 RPM, and it’s a bit of a racket. The radio’s good enough to drown it out, but you’d best find a station you like or bring a lot of your own music, because that exhaust drone is going to bother you. But it does feel slightly sporty, despite the 10.7 second zero-to-sixty time. I suppose much of that comes from the rear-wheel-drive nature of this little hatch. Definitely keeping its cool, too, as I can hear the servo up front opening and closing those cooling vents as needed. Not as reliable, from what I’ve heard, but I get the feeling that it’ll still be around a while.”

Luke drove back to the parking lot and shut down the Weasel, then added a few final words to his recording before uploading it.

“The EADC Weasel is actually not a bad car. With a wide range of materials used, from carbon ceramic brake discs to fiberglass body panels, it’s certainly diverse. Cargo space is a bit small, even for a small hatch like this, and I think the reason why is the pushrod rear suspension straight out of a supercar. I think the Weasel is definitely a sporty little warm-hatch, but I dare not call it a hot-hatch. What it lacks in power, it makes up for with driveline, and what it lacks in refinement it more than makes up for in fun. I don’t think it’s personally for me, but we’ll have to see what else comes down the line.”

@HowlerAutomotive

Luke walked over to the Gnoo Earthfriend, a nice green station wagon with a big solar panel in the roof. “Curious, but logical. It’s not a hybrid, but there’s a great big solar panel up there. Still, it makes sense if this car has a split or hybrid electrical system, using solar energy to take the load off of the alternator, and therefore off of the engine.” Luke said, opening the door and settling into the driver’s seat.

Another note greeted him, taped to the steering wheel.

“We believe saving the planet takes more than just great fuel efficiency. The Gnoo Earthfriend trades leather for cotton and denim, stopping the slaughter of animals for their hides. What you might not know is this: The interior of every Earthfriend is really Earth friendly. How? All of the fabric in your car is 100% recycled materials, materials that would have otherwise ended up in a landfill somewhere. All of the plastic is ABS, known for being nearly-infinitely reusable. We also use a solar panel to power electric motors, not to drive the car, but to assist the engine by turning the air conditioning compressor, assisting the power steering pump, and also charging the main battery. You still have an alternator, but it’s doing a fraction of the work. Unfortunately, this means that if it’s not bright and sunny out, the air conditioner won’t work.”

Luke finished reading the note, then said, “Actually rather clever. A hybrid electrical system, using a motor for assistance on power steering and using a separate electrical system for the air conditioning. Fans still work without the sun, but if the sun’s not out, it’s probably not too unbearable.”

He pulled the handle under the dash to open the hood, then got out to look at the engine.

“Interesting indeed. Inline 6, turbocharged, water-to-air intercooler, direct fuel injection, single throttle body. More recycled plastic as the engine cover, this time a nice green color, somewhat rough, but if it’s recycled plastic, that makes a lot of sense. Standard air-box for an air filter. Stats put the engine at 90.3 horsepower at 5700 RPM, 119 ft-lb of torque at 2100 RPM, and redline is at 6500, so it’s very balanced. Let’s see what mysteries the exhaust holds.”

Luke used the camera to look at the exhaust, seeming rather surprised at what he saw.

“Obviously, cast turbo downpipe, three-way catalytic, and twin reverse flow mufflers, with 1.25 inch piping. This thing’s going to be quiet, so not just are they cutting down on air pollution and garbage production, they’re cutting down on noise pollution, too.”

He closed the hood, then settled into the driver’s seat for the last long drive of that particular day.

“The engine is actually very quiet, and it looks like we’ve got a 6 speed sequential for driving. Somewhat nice, actually. Strange to have an inline 6 mounted sideways, but in a way it’s not exactly wrong. Zero to 60 is… Not all that fast at 11.6 seconds, but given that the engine’s throwing around 90 horsepower, and the Earthfriend tips the scales at just under 1250 kilograms, it doesn’t feel like it’s moving at a glacial pace. Radio’s a fairly standard job, packing Bluetooth connectivity, CD player, and AM/FM radio, but only four speakers to save a little weight. It’s actually somewhat pleasant to drive, though I feel it’s been overshadowed a little by the ease at which the others handle up to this point. But, it’s very, very comfortable. I’m not being thrown around the interior, I’m not fighting the car, it’s just holding me still in the denim-covered seats while the air conditioning quietly hums away, powered by the very source of the miserable heat. Sixth is definitely an overdrive. Decent cruiser, though she’s turning nearly 2900 RPM in sixth at 75 MPH, but… it covers a wide range of speeds well. And it’s rated at 67 MPG, so this thing’s really trying not to light your wallet on fire at every gas station, either. Plus, it doesn’t have the sound of the typical inline 3 or 4 eco-box, it’s got a decent inline 6 rumble to it, despite being very quiet. I feel that the Earthfriend, despite lacking in some respects, makes up for it by being comfortable and efficient.”

Luke parked back in the same spot, getting out of the car and heading back to his work area.

“I feel Gnoo has made a good car with the Earthfriend. While the GreenHug inline 6 isn’t the most powerful engine in the world, it’s more than powerful enough to pull around the four-seat wagon with ease. What it lacks in jaw-dropping interior, it makes up for with being eco friendly at the core. Recycled materials make up the entire interior, and if it wasn’t for the note left by Gnoo Motorki, I’d have never guessed the denim and plastic affair to be 100% recycled. While the other cars I’ve reviewed set the bar high, the Earthfriend played limbo with the bar, then pole vaulted it when I least expected it.”

@Zabhawkin

The next day was just as bright and sunny as the day before, and Luke was eager to begin driving early. He walked out to the lot where Desert Mountains Automotive had left a nice looking station wagon for him to try out.

“So, DMA sent me the LW118-E. I’m sure it means something, but I can’t say I’m much a fan of alphanumerical soup for names. Still, it looks nice enough. Fairly simple and corporate styling, not going to stand out in a parking lot too much. Doesn’t look like it’s built to be an eco car, but everything here has to meet the new League standards.”

Luke settled into the driver’s seat, confronted with a much different experience than he’d had driving the Earthfriend the day before. But then again, he knew not everyone had made the move to ban leather in favor of alternate materials. And it wasn’t like the leather seat and high-quality 10-speaker sound system were bad things, either. “I think I kinda like it. Good sound system, comfortable seats, nice leather-wrapped 6-speed shift knob with a leather shift boot. Some basic suspension controls here, and a surprisingly high ride height. Wagon, crossover, or SUV? I’m not entirely sure. It is, however, front wheel drive, so it’ll be easy to drive. Let’s take a peek under the hood.”

He pulled the hood release and got out, seeming slightly startled by the 1.8 liter inline 3 resting in the engine compartment. “That’s a bit of a big engine. Well, big for what it is. Still, Direct fuel injection, performance intake, single throttle body, and a nice short cast manifold. Says in the stats sheet that it’s an all-aluminum block and head, and that it makes 103 horsepower at the 5300 RPM redline, with 123 ft-lb of torque at 2400 RPM. But the torque is above 100 ft-lb from idle to redline.”

Luke passed the camera under the car, a feat made easier by the increased ride height, and reported his findings.

“High flow catalytic, twin reverse flow mufflers, confirmed on the short cast headers, and 1.25 inch exhaust diameter. Stainless steel piping the whole way back, so there won’t be any rust holes in the future with this car.”

He closed the hood and got back into the driver’s seat, started the inline 3 beast up, and put it into first gear, beginning the first long drive of the day. “Very easy to drive. Between the high-profile tires and the raised ride height, you feel like you’re in a mild off-roader, not a station wagon. And the exhaust is quiet enough to keep you from having to use excessive volume on the radio to drown it out. They claim 50 MPG, and I’m getting almost 51 here, so they’re being more than fair. Takes 12.1 seconds to go from a full stop to 60, and it’s turning 2400 RPM, give or take a bit, at 75. Granted, that’s halfway up the revs on this engine, but it’s proving to be fuel efficient enough. Plus, the raised ride height helps with not fearing any speed bump, or parking divider. And the inline 3 doesn’t sound completely gutless, either.”

Luke headed back to the headquarters and parked the LW118-E, then walked to his work area.

“I think DMA has hit the nail on the head with the LW118-E. If you want a mild off-roader, something you don’t fear gravel roads and potholes in, it’s certainly capable. And it’s decently fun to drive, mostly because of the 6 speed stick. I certainly think there were a few things that could have been done to make it more efficient, but it’s not a bad car overall. While I’d prefer if it had an actual name, I respect the LW118-E for what it can do, and that’s 50.8 MPG with reasonable comfort.”

@Ornate

Luke grabbed the next envelope and headed out to the parking lot, where the Ornate Familyman was waiting for him. As the first minivan of the bunch, it looked a hint out of place among the wagons and the sub-compact hatch that’d come before it.

“Well, I suppose a minivan does make sense. It’s big, has lots of cargo room, can carry lots of people, they’re reasonably roomy inside, they’ve got sliding rear doors and they’re usually very comfortable.”

He opened the driver’s door and settled into a nice comfortable cloth seat, with a fairly simple AM/FM/CD radio. “Not bad, really. It’s got some nice features, it’s comfortable, and that looks just a little out of place.” Luke said, having spotted the Launch Control button on the steering wheel.

“So, it’s a minivan, but it has launch control. Interesting. Wonder what else it has that I’m not yet aware of.” Luke pulled the hood release and stepped out of the van, moving to look at the engine under the hood.

“Inline 6, turbocharged, direct fuel injection with single throttle body, DOHC with 5 valves per cylinder, nice use of chrome, water-to-air intercooler, and a performance air filter. 5700 RPM redline, 136 horsepower at the redline, 169 ft-lb of torque at 2200 RPM. Not a bad way to set things up, overall. Let’s drop a camera under the van and see what’s there.” Luke said, before using his inspection camera for a good look.

“Turbo downpipe feeding into a high-flow catalytic converter, then twin reverse flow mufflers. 2.25 inch piping diameter, but that’s not the only interesting thing I’ve found under here. That’s a driveshaft, and those are quite obviously leaf springs back there. This van’s built to haul stuff, and it’ll do a fine job at that.”

Luke closed the hood and got back in the Familyman, heading out on another long drive. “Sequential’s really nice, and launch control’s really… not all that needed, but it is kinda fun to sit there next to someone in a bone-stock economy car, push the little red button, and then sit there banging on the launch-control rev limiter until the light goes green. And with a 9.8 second 0-60, sometimes you actually win one. As for how it drives, well, it handles like a minivan. It’s not super exciting, but it is kinda fun to drive. I feel comfortable in this van, and the high seating position gives an excellent view of the road ahead. And while the AWD is predictable, that’s exactly what you want in this kind of vehicle. Plus, the leaf springs actually don’t ruin the ride as much as I feared they would. It’s more… You know it’s different, but yet they don’t feel bad.”

He returned to the parking lot and shut down the Familyman, heading to the shop again.

“The Ornate Familyman is unique in many ways. It’s a minivan with leaf springs and all-wheel-drive, a transverse mounted turbo inline 6, it’s inexpensive, and it gets 52 miles per gallon. It seats 5 and has room for the entire family camping trip. The high seating position gives you a feeling of power on the road, and it feels good, despite the leaf springs. Definitely a vehicle worth looking at if you’re looking for a van. Whether or not I choose it later on, I don’t know just yet, but what I do know is it’s definitely going to be considered.”

10 Likes

@HighOctaneLove

Luke’s next car was the rather obvious Bogliq Blue one, the Bogliq Bastion Ecostar. He looked at the sedan, with its lightly aggressive styling and four spoke magnesium wheels, then said, “Bogliq impressed me with their Ambassador. Let’s see if the Bastion holds up to the legend. At least this time they remembered to put turn signals on it, so I don’t have to have the Raceworks Division figure out how to blend them into the body of the car.”

He opened the driver’s door, then sat down in the seat, taking note of the thinly-padded bucket seat and the black plastic dashboard, the rubber floor mats and the extreme minimalism used in the interior construction. “Well, it’s good looking from a fair distance, but it’s a fair distance from good looking. Cheap plastic, rough hard wearing cloth, rubber floor mats on thin carpet, basic AM/FM/CD radio, two airbags. A saving grace is that there’s 5 seats in it, and while the seats are really quite basic, they’re decent quality for how minimal they really are. Launch control on the steering wheel again, so they’re thinking this thing’s sporty, but we’ll see what her true colors are. Stick on the floor with a 7 speed pattern, so at least it’ll be fun to drive.” Luke then pulled the release for the hood and got out of the car.

“Fairly big inline 6, turbocharged, water-to-air intercooler, performance intake, direct fuel injection on single throttle body, it’s DOHC with 24 valves, and it’s painted blue. Makes 197 horsepower at 6000 RPM, 231 ft-lb of torque at 2700 RPM, and redlines at 6500 RPM, so it’s not bad overall. Let’s take a look at the exhaust arrangement, then we’ll go on a drive.”

Luke used the inspection camera to look under the car, then said, “Downpipe feeds a high-flow catalytic converter and twin straight-through mufflers, with a 2-inch exhaust diameter. Which is really quite interesting, because this sounds more like they wanted to make an eco-sports-sedan, without actually paying much attention to the fact that if people wanted a sporty sedan or an eco sedan, they’d want a bit more to the interior. But, let’s take it on a drive.”

He closed the hood and got back in the car, starting the engine and taking note of just how much he could hear it in the car. “Yeah, that’s why you don’t do basic interior and straight-through mufflers. That engine’s going to annoy the flying crap out of someone going down the highway. Still, the Bastion will do 60 in 6.5 seconds from a dead stop, so it’s fast, but at 75 miles per hour, she’s droning on at about 2700 RPM, and the radio, as good as it is, cannot overcome the amount of noise in the cabin. That, and every time I even touch the brake pedal, the ABS kicks in and the whole car shudders violently, thanks to the race-grade carbon ceramic disks and racing-compound brake pads.”

Luke drove back to park the car, then went into his working space in the garage to finalize his notes.

“The Bogliq Bastion Ecostar is… An example of doing things wrong, sadly. Taking up the entirety of the budget at $25,900, the Bastion has the most basic interior of all the cars I’ve tested today. While I loved the 7 speed stick, there were too many little things that bothered me. First, I think the magnesium wheels could have been swapped for alloys without much fuss, and the choice to use very expensive carbon rotors and race-grade brake pads on a street car, I think was an expensive mistake. Trade carbon for vented disks, put on bigger disks if need be, and some alloy wheels with more traditional brake pads, and there would’ve been room in the budget for things like a better interior. While it’s brutal around a track compared to the rest, and it gets an honest 56.1 MPG, too many small details add up and ruin the car overall. Plus, the pushrod rear suspension eats up a ton of trunk space, forcing the use of a tire patch kit instead of a spare tire, and leaves you still having less space than desired. As much as I love the Bogliq Ambassador, the Bogliq Bastion Ecostar leaves me feeling more than just a little bit disappointed. That’s not to say it’s entirely a bad car, though. If you’re looking for sporty and you don’t care that the interior looks like it came out of a cargo van from the 80’s, this is a 56 MPG rear-wheel-drive sedan with enough guts and technology to make it actually somewhat fun if you’re going to drive it on the limit.”

@szafirowy01

Luke looked at the next car in line, the Zavir Luna SuperTIDe, and grabbed the keys as he headed out to take a better look.

“Interesting choice to go with a hatch. It’s lightly sporty looking, but at the same time, not too aggressive.” Luke looked at the narrow headlights and the aggressive air intakes at the front, then walked around the car. “Back end’s plain, but reasonable. It is, after all, an eco-hatch.”

He opened the driver’s door and settled into another cloth seat, with the usual AM/FM/CD radio in the dash, though this one had a USB port on it for accepting MP3 music. “Four seats, though good quality cloth ones. Somewhat basic radio, but not the worst I’ve seen overall. Fairly average safety, though I appreciate the side-curtain airbags. It’s not a bad little hatch, this Zavir Luna, even if I find the style a bit too aggressive. And there’s some switches to control the dampers and active sway-bar, so this could feel sporty, even if it’s not.”

Luke pulled the hood release, then got out of the car, taking a look at the engine.

“Four cylinder, red plastic cover, turbocharged with a water-to-air intercooler. DOHC with 16 valves, all AlSi construction. Direct fuel injection with individual throttle bodies, and a performance intake. Redline’s at 7500 RPM, makes 121 horsepower at 6600 RPM, and 144 ft-lb of torque at 2700 RPM. Reasonably well balanced, given that it’s intended to be an eco-car. This little hatch won’t be too slow, I think.”

He used his inspection camera to get a better look at the exhaust, though it also revealed something else.

“Turbo downpipe, basic three-way catalytic, twin reverse flow mufflers, all on 2 inch piping, and a driveshaft spinning the rear wheels.”

Luke closed the hood, then got back in the Luna and started it up. “Not bad sounding for a four-cylinder. Definitely a sequential gearbox.” he said, starting off on another good long drive.

“That feels like it’s a double-clutch box. The shifts are almost instant, which leads to the Luna sprinting to 60, and it is almost a sprint compared to most of what I’ve tested, in 8.9 seconds. The Bastion did beat it, but this is more comfortable, easier to drive, goes nearly as far on a gallon of gas, and costs less. It also has room in the back for some cargo, and hasn’t wasted money on frivolous things. Instead, the Luna has put the money, for the most part, where it needed to, in the engine, transmission, and aerodynamics. Zavir also paid attention to the fact that people want to sit in their cars and not wonder if they’ve gone back to 1985, because while there’s a lot of plastic in here, it’s good quality plastic. And while it’s a little noisy in here, I don’t have to turn the radio all the way up to hear it over wind noise, road noise, and exhaust drone. If I had to pick a fault on Zavir’s design with the Luna SuperTIDe, it’d be that they spent all that money to put in a trick double-clutch gearbox instead of maximizing efficiency elsewhere. But even at that, it makes up for getting 54.3 MPG instead of, say, 56 MPG by providing a better experience inside the car.”

Luke then headed back to the parking lot and shut down the Luna, heading to his garage and making a final summary of the car.

“Zavir, a company I’ve barely heard much about, has unleashed a fuel-sipping fun box on the population. The Zavir Luna SuperTIDe is a fun-to-drive RWD hatch with enough punch to be fun while still getting impressive mileage, and still having room for your groceries. Sure, it’s just about as expensive as the competition, but you don’t have to sacrifice safety and comfort for gas mileage. Plus, you can fit more in this hatch than in some sedans, including our own benchmark car. Plus, it’s a hatch that’s not front-wheel-drive, and while it won’t beat some other RWD hatches around the Ring, at least you’ll be able to go for more laps.”

@koolkei

Luke’s last car of the day was the Komodo Motors Phyton Jomund. A sleek black sedan, the Jomund looked aggressive without being overdone, at least in Luke’s opinion.

“Back end’s a little plain, at least compared to the front, but it’s not bad. Let’s get in and see what it’s all about.”

He opened the driver’s door and settled into a fairly standard cloth seat, looking at the AM/FM/CD player in the dash, and the ever-so-noticeable launch control button on the steering wheel. He also took note of the rather abundant supply of air-bags in the car, and the controls for the dampers and sway bars, as well as the 6 speed gear stick.

“Not bad. I’ve seen better, I’ve seen worse.” Luke pulled the hood release and got out of the car, looking at the engine.

“Four cylinders, turbocharged, performance intake, air-to-air intercooler, direct fuel injection with single throttle body. Respectable. Redline at 5900 RPM, 137 horsepower at 5800 RPM, and 177 ft-lb of torque at 1900 RPM. It’s punchy, that’s for sure. Exhaust is a turbocharger downpipe, three-way catalytic converter, straight through muffler, then reverse flow muffler, all on 1.75 inch piping. And that’s a driveshaft under here, too, so it’s RWD.”

He got back into the car and started the engine, then put it into first and started the last drive of the day.

“It’s not bad. There’s enough punch in the short initial gears to break the tires loose, but then the gears start getting taller as you climb through them. Launch control holds the engine at the point where it won’t break the tires loose, so all you have to do is dump the clutch and it’ll take off like a startled snake. And the mileage is insane. 60 MPG and I’m not driving, perhaps, the most efficiently, just driving as one would any other day. There’s a decent bit of fun-to-drive here, and it’s still comfortable, and still practical. You have four seats, so you can take a few people on a trip. The trunk’s big enough to do the job well, and when you’re out on the highway, it’s turning 2300 RPM and just cruises in sixth gear. It’s also fairly cheap to run, despite being a turbo car with a magnesium block.”

He drove back to the garage and parked the Jomund, then got out and finished his review.

“While there are better vehicles by score, Komodo Motors has delivered a powerful strike with their Phyton Jomund, an aggressive and fun-to-drive sedan that delivers on all fronts nicely. If I had to pick a downside on it, I’d wish for a bigger trunk, and even at that, I think it would ruin the look of the car.”

@JohnWaldock

Luke looked at the JHW Epoque with a hint of curiosity.

“Well, it’s small. And a blinding shade of Rental White. Sporty up front, bland out back, but it’s functional and seems to work well enough.”

He got into the car, looking around the small car’s interior. “Four seats, all cloth, and a basic AM/FM/CD radio. Reasonable amount of air-bags. Pretty much the same stuff I’ve come to expect lately from these cars, so it’s not bad. Another car with semi-active dampers and active sway-bars, though the data sheet says it has standard springs instead of progressive-rate springs. Interestingly enough, it has a 4 speed manual gearbox and a geared limited slip differential.”

Luke pulled the hood release, then got out of the car to take a look at the power-plant used by the Epoque.

“Four cylinders, DOHC, 16 valves, all AlSi construction, direct fuel injection, individual throttle bodies, performance intake, turbocharged and intercooled. Really not a bad way to set up an engine. Redline at 6500, makes 100 horsepower at 6000 and 129 ft-lb of torque at 2800 RPM. Rather low power output for a turbocharged car… Exhaust is built on a 2-inch diameter pipe, three-way catalytic converter, and twin reverse flow mufflers.”

Luke got back into the Epoque and started the engine, then put it into gear, going on the first long drive of the day.

“Well, it’s not too badly loud in here, and the radio isn’t struggling to drown it out. Though I feel the car could have done better with a good tall fifth gear overdrive instead of a geared differential, as traveling at 75 has the engine buzzing away at 3500 RPM. Still, it manages, despite that high RPM, to get 62 MPG. And despite the 100 horsepower engine, it’ll still pick up and run to 60 in 9.3 seconds.”

Luke then parked up the Epoque and finalized his review.

“Realistically, the JHW Epoque isn’t the car the world would want, but it is the car the world deserves. It’s not powerful, nor fast, but with a few refinements, it could be even better. The fact that I don’t have much to say, for or against, about the Epoque is actually a compliment, as it does an incredible job with what it was built to do. It’s fuel efficient and can move 4 people from point A to point B with ease.”

@titleguy1

Luke looked at the dark-blue sedan provided by Kimura Automotive, the EPi-X. “Well, it’s definitely sporty and sharp looking. It actually looks fun to drive.”

He opened the driver’s door and got in, seeming lightly impressed at his first glance around the interior. “Four cloth seats, but we’ve got an AM/FM/CD radio in the dash with Bluetooth connectivity. It’s not the first time in this competition that I’ve seen one, but it’s certainly a rarity. Sure, there’s a little hint of lower quality here and there, but nothing deal-breaking and certainly nothing a non-perfectionist would notice. And there’s a lot of airbags and safety features in here. I’m impressed.”

Luke pulled the hood release and took a look at the engine. “Reasonably large engine, V6, magnesium block, AlSi heads, DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder. Direct fuel injection, single throttle body, standard intake. Redline’s at 7000 RPM, makes 187 horsepower at 6500 RPM, and 170 ft-lb of torque at 5000 RPM. Long tubular headers, twin exhaust at 1.5 inch diameter, high-flow catalytic and twin reverse flow mufflers. Looks like plain steel pipework, so it’ll eventually rust through, but probably not too quickly.”

He got back into the driver’s seat and started the engine, putting the sequential gearbox in first and heading off on a long drive. “7.6 seconds from 0 to 60, but I’m more impressed by how smooth this 7 speed sequential is between gear changes. Sure, it’s single-clutch, but it’s really nice. Also feels like there’s multiple overdrive gears. At least three. It’s nice, actually. Brisk acceleration and reasonable fuel efficiency at the same time. Radio is more than capable of covering up the engine and road noise. As for fuel efficiency, this is impressive. Around 20 miles per hour, we’re in fourth and turning 870 RPM. Yes, you read that right: Less than 1000 RPM. At 30, we’re turning 850 RPM in sixth, and then at 45, we’re in seventh, turning 930 RPM. At 55, seventh gear, 1200 RPM. At 75, seventh gear, 1600 RPM. This engine’s barely working hard at speed, and it’s impressed the hell out of me. It’s pleasant, and allows for the radio to be at a reasonable volume to drown out the V6.”

Luke drove back to the parking lot and shut down the Kimura EPi-X, shutting it down and getting out to finish the review.

“If the JHW Epoque is the car the world deserves, the Kimura EPi-X is the car the world wants. Sure, it’s not as fuel efficient as some of the other competition, but it looks great, has a punchy V6 engine, and it’s actually somewhat fun to drive. While there are better cars for gas mileage, and there’s cars with more space, the EPi-X is impressive.”

@Leedar

Luke looked at the next car in the garage, the Boyd Aster. “Seems nice enough. Not personally fond of the color, myself, but the car looks good. It’s simple, clean, looks aerodynamic without being overly done.”

He opened the driver’s door and settled into the seat. “Five seats, they’re reasonably comfortable and made of good cloth. The radio’s also on the good side, being AM/FM/CD and has Bluetooth connectivity. And there’s decent enough safety equipment in here that the average person wouldn’t fear an accident in here.”

Luke then pulled the hood release and got out of the car, taking a look at the engine.

“Small, but reasonable. Inline 6, DOHC, 24 valve, all AlSi construction, direct fuel injection, single throttle body, turbocharged and intercooled. Not bad. 8000 RPM redline, 135 horsepower at the redline, almost 90 ft-lb of torque at 7500 RPM. Exhaust is a turbo downpipe feeding into a three-way catalytic converter and twin reverse flow mufflers, based on 1.75 inch piping. Functional and effective.”

He closed the hood and got into the car again, started the engine, and headed out on the long drive.

“Definitely quieter in here than the usual cars I’ve been driving. Handles well for having that torsion beam rear end. Gets from 0 to 60 in 10.5 seconds, and it’s getting about 52 miles per gallon on this drive. Feels like the sequential transmission’s a double overdrive, but a strong double overdrive, not the usual style. Little over 2400 RPM at 75 miles per hour, so this car’s actually doing a good job sipping fuel.”

Luke finished the rest of the drive mostly in peace, then parked the car and finished the review.

“The Boyd Aster is perhaps the most surprising car I’ve driven to this point. Everyone else builds for maximum fuel efficiency, hits the budget cap, but Boyd built their car to be cheaper. Torsion beam rear end, MacPherson struts up front, AHS steel unibody, small engine. And it works. It let them put better seats and a better radio in here, and despite not being quite as efficient as some of the competition, at $19,600, it’s easily affordable. And that’s the spirit of the competition, to beat the hybrids at their own game. This car’s inexpensive, seats five, it’s reliable, and gets 52.8 miles to the gallon. And while I’ll nitpick that I don’t like the paint color, I’m sure they have a different option in their list of colors that I do like. But to sum up the Aster in one sentence, it would be this: It’s not the fuel economy that matters, it’s the price tag.”

8 Likes

@Der_Bayer

Luke looked at the four-door hatch in the parking lot, the BAM Enios. “Well, we’ve got another competitor going for the hatch trick. Still, it looks good, and it seems sporty and aggressive looking while maintaining a more plain look at the same time. It’s not overwhelming in either direction, combining the hot-hatch look with the eco car nicely enough.”

He opened the door and settled into the driver’s seat, taking note of the leather seats for four people and the AM/FM/CD player in the dash. “Well, I can see they pulled no punches on this interior. Leather’s not perfect, but then again, the fact that there’s even leather seats in here is impressive, given what I’ve seen from most of the other cars. Entertainment’s basic, but you have to expect that. Five speed manual, so it’s again another car saving money that way, though the feel of the linkage in here is very direct, no quality spared there. Got some suspension controls for the adaptive dampers and semi-active sway bars, so we’re not completely locked in on one particular ride quality, though I’ll again keep it at default. Let’s take a look under the hood.”

Luke pulled the hood release and got out, taking a look at the engine.

“Inline 6, all AlSi construction, DOHC 24 valve, turbocharged, direct fuel injection, single throttle body. Not a bad setup, to be honest. Redline at 7600 RPM, makes 100 horsepower at 6100 RPM, and 116 ft-lb of torque at 3300 RPM. Balanced, reasonable, and powerful enough for the job. Exhaust is based on a 1.5 inch diameter, consisting of a downpipe, three way catalytic converter, and twin reverse flow mufflers. And again, stainless steel piping for rust resistance. It’s little touches like those that tell me a lot about a car company, and these guys care to make sure their cars stay on the road, not in the shop costing someone a lot of money.”

He got into the car and started the engine, then headed out on a long drive.

“Five speed feels good, there’s no play in the linkage. It’s very direct, and feels like it’s a double-overdrive, which is a little odd because it’s a 5 speed. But then again, the cars of the 40s and 50s often only had three gears, and not much more power and torque. And fourth is your conventional overdrive, anyway. Fifth solves that “I want another gear” problem. That said, in fifth, you’re turning 2800, almost 2900 RPM at 75, but then again, only 2100 at 55, so it’s not that bad. It gets the mileage, though, nearly 60 MPG here. And it’ll get up to 60 in 9.4 seconds, so it’s not quite a turtle. Radio’s not straining to drown out the engine noise. Granted, the brakes feel… Well, if you’re using them a lot, they feel like there’s a hint of fade, which is a little unsettling, but at least it’s mild, and it goes away fast enough to not be a huge issue. Maybe needs a little more brake rotor, or maybe a different set of pads. But the rest of the car is solid, no squeaks, no rattles, doesn’t feel like being in a paint shaker, and despite having only 100 horsepower, it’s not too bad.”

Luke parked the car back in the parking lot and finished the review.

“The BAM Enios is another example of the economy car people need. At $22,400, it’s not astronomically expensive, and it’ll get 59.6 MPG. It seats four people, is another member of the sideways inline 6 club, and manages to pull off the sporty, somewhat aggressive look despite being not quite so sporty.”

@themiltos21

Luke’s last car of the day was the Betta Anagenesis, a little sedan with what looked like a lot of attitude.

“Well, it looks sporty. And I can see right off the bat that all expenses were spared on this car, right through the rims. Those are very obviously drums out back, and solid disks up front. Not necessarily a bad thing, though, if they’ve been done well.”

He opened the door and settled into the driver’s seat, finding it to be another car with a leather interior.
“Five seats, leather, AM/FM/CD player with a USB socket for external music, side curtain airbags. Really not a bad car on the inside. I can see that the money saved on the brakes went straight into the interior, adding a seat and a little better radio, and a bit better safety, compared to the BAM Enios. But the back seat’s probably a little cramped for 5, so it’s likely not as comfortable with full capacity. Plus, the added weight shows up in the fuel-economy estimates. But, it’s not a bad looking interior.”

Luke then pulled the hood release and got out to check the engine.

“Odd, but again, if you’re sparing every expense possible, that’s one way to do it. Inline 6, cast iron block and heads, DOHC 30 valve, direct injection with single throttle body, and a turbocharger. And, in this car where it is a nice surprise to find, there actually is an intercooler fitted to the turbo, so the expense wasn’t spared there. But even at that, I can’t complain too badly, as we’re looking at a 7100 RPM redline, 120 horsepower at 6200 RPM, and 129 ft-lb of torque at 3700 RPM. Exhaust is a high-flow catalytic and twin baffled mufflers on 2 inch piping, and it looks like some rust prevention is in place.”

He closed the hood and got in for the last long drive of the day.

“Again, quality where it counts, because this six speed is really nice. And while that’s a more typical overdrive situation, I do find myself wishing it had one more gear, just to drop the revs a little more. At 75 miles per hour, she’s howling at 3300 RPM, but then again, it’s not the worst I’ve seen overall. And at a more sedate 55 miles per hour, it’s content with 2500 RPM, so it’s reasonable. It’ll also do zero to sixty in 9.5 seconds, so that additional 20 horsepower isn’t really as noticed here. That said, the average person won’t feel the difference between 9.4 and 9.5 seconds, and really, this car’s extra weight is the biggest thing to keep in mind when one compares those numbers. Also, the brake fade’s a little worse in this car, but still surprisingly well under control, despite drum brakes out back and solid discs up front. I’d like to have seen some more money spared for discs at all corners, but if you’re going to use drums, do like these guys did and go for a nice big set of them.”

Luke parked the car and finished his review back at his workshop.

“The Betta Anagenesis surprised me. Some may say they made mistakes, that they did things wrong, but… I think it was a bold move. Another transversely mounted inline 6, but all cast iron instead of shedding the weight, but at the same time, dropping the cost enough to fit a fifth seat. Drum brakes out back because it allowed better quality in the radio. Solid disks up front because it allowed for a sixth gear and better quality in the transmission. All the little compromises on the outside of the car were done to improve what you interacted with, and while it’s not exactly the most efficient car in the world, there’s potential for the company. Plus, the $21,000 price tag is in the budget for a lot of people, and 54.2 MPG is good when one considers it’s a 5 seat premium sedan.”

@thecarlover

Luke looked at the light blue car in the bright morning sun and considered, just for a moment, taking a day off. But, he knew all too well that it’d still be there the next day, and that according to the weather, tomorrow was supposed to be even hotter than it was today.

“Well, I’ll say this. I’m not a fan of the wheels, they look like they should be 22 inch rims on some rap star’s SUV, and spinning. Otherwise, the styling’s pretty good. A little heavy on the chrome, but that’s never hurt anything. Center false grille looks… Well, to me it looks odd, but I suppose it’s probably more aerodynamic than leaving a blocked-up mesh in that spot. So this car gets all of its cooling air through that lower grille, and yet… I don’t mind that idea. It’s getting the efficiency numbers, or it wouldn’t be here, and that’s really all that matters.”

He opened the door and settled into the driver’s seat, taking a look around the interior. “Five seats, reasonable cloth, the ever-present CD player radio in the dash, and plenty of airbags. Not a bad setup for an eco car. Simple switch to toggle modes on the semi-active sway bars, and a 6 speed stick.”

Luke pulled the hood release and got out to take a good look at the engine. “Inline 4, all AlSi construction, DOHC 16 valve, turbocharged, direct fuel injection with a single throttle body. Redline’s at 6200 RPM, 107 horsepower at 5800 RPM, and 122 ft-lb of torque at 2600 RPM, so the engine’s well tuned in that respect. Exhaust is built on a 2.25 inch diameter pipe, high-flow catalytic, and twin baffled mufflers. And the piping is stainless steel for rust protection. Really, it’s not a bad little setup.”

He closed the hood and got back in the car, preparing for the first drive of the new day.

“First thing I have to say is that Canada Motors really knows their stuff with this 6 speed. Sure, some cars had a better feel through the stick, but this doesn’t feel like a mess. It’s crisp and direct. The engine has enough power to chirp the tires in first gear, yet it’s very well composed otherwise. And while the open differential isn’t helping matters, I’ll take wheel spin over torque steer. Acceleration to 60 takes about 10.7 seconds, which isn’t really fast, but it’s not going to be overtaken by a speeding turtle any time soon. As for mileage, 53 MPG is easily achievable, and in sixth at 75 miles per hour, it’s turning a little over 2600 RPM. Also, keep in mind, that’s peak torque, so it’s making good fuel efficiency with the turbo spooled. And at 55, it’s also just about at 2600 RPM in fifth, so again, peak torque is this engine’s happy zone. As for the radio, it’s not working too hard because the engine’s really quiet to start with, and the interior’s not just bare metal.”

Luke then parked the car and finished the review.

“Canada Motors got something right with the Halifax Eco. A compact sedan with just enough visual attitude to get your attention without being overly bold. An engine with enough power to handle the day-to-day rough driving people inevitably will do. A gearbox that doesn’t cost more than a cheap motorcycle to get the car to move. And they’ve combined all of this to make one really good car. While I may dislike the wheels, I see no reason to pan the whole car just because of that. I’m sure at their dealership, there’s some variation on wheels for those of us who prefer something a little more normal. And at $20,440, there’s likely money left in your budget that could be used to get a set of wheels you actually do like. With 53.3 miles per gallon, the Halifax is going to travel a very long distance.”

@Strop

Luke’s first impressions of the Armada Ceres seemed about as confused as the car appeared to be.

“Surely this can’t be right. It looks like it rolled out of a Gryphon Gear factory. Where’s that stats sheet when I need it? Well… It says it’ll do 50 MPG, but it also has 300 horsepower. Makes me wonder what the guys at Armada were thinking. I wonder, though, if it performs as well as it looks.”

He opened the driver’s door and settled into one of the four cloth seats inside. “Reasonable cloth. It’s nothing special, but it’s better than nothing. AM/FM/CD/Bluetooth radio, so that’s something. Launch control switch on the steering wheel. Driver’s and passenger’s side airbags, but that’s about it, no side curtain bags here. Still, it’s respectable. Adjustment dial for the semi-active suspension. And paddles, so it’s a sequential box.”

Luke then pulled the hood release and got out of the car. “That’s a big inline 6, according to the sheet, it’s 3.3 liters, plus a little extra. DOHC, 24 valves, magnesium block and AlSi heads, DFI with single throttle body, and it’s turbocharged. It redlines at 6900 RPM, peak power is 300 horsepower at 6600 RPM, and makes 298 ft-lb of torque at 4400 RPM. Exhaust is built on a 3.5 inch piping diameter, so you could theoretically place a diskette in the exhaust if you wanted to. Three way catalytic and twin baffled mufflers make up the rest of the exhaust system, so it’s not a bad little setup. And it appears to have been covered in high-temperature paint for rust-proofing. Oh, and there’s a driveshaft and a rear differential under here, too, so this thing’s rear wheel drive.”

He got back into the Ceres and started it up, heading out on a good long drive. “Well, it’s definitely responsive, and really quite spirited. You can belt this thing and it’ll respond almost immediately, and it wants to run. It’ll sprint to 60 in 5.3 seconds, and I don’t doubt the gauge for going up to 180 MPH. I don’t think it’s being overly optimistic, I think it’s being truthful given how this thing lunges when you give the throttle a good step. Plus, it’s not lying about that 50 MPG, if you stop standing on the throttle. 1900 RPM in seventh gear at 75 miles per hour, 1900 in sixth if you want to do 55. Now, obviously, an engine like this is going to push this car into a different insurance class, but if you can stomach the extra costs, this is a viable car. You sacrifice a lot to get what you’ve gotten, but what you’re left with is pure fun on four wheels. The radio’s working nicely, it’s easy to cover up the engine noise, not that I feel most people would want to, and it’s easy to drive.”

Luke parked the car and finalized his review.

“I can see what Armada was intending with the Ceres. Where do you usually see your eco cars? Clogging up the highway, doing 45 or 50 in the slow lane, or they’re being thrashed to within an inch of their life to do 80 and they’re about as efficient then as an SUV. Armada saw this as a problem and challenged it head on. Let’s put 300 horsepower of turbocharged fury into an eco-friendly car that says ‘Get the fuck out of my way’ from every angle. It’s expensive to maintain, and it’s not as efficient as the rest of the pack, plus it’s used the entire budget at $25,900, but for some reason, I have to admit I like this car. Maybe it’s the bold move, to go for 300 horsepower and make a fuel efficient monster out of the car, or maybe it’s the fact that despite giving you all of this, the Ceres hasn’t really sacrificed anything. It’s coming in with 300 horsepower, and yet has 4 seats, all of them are decent cloth, and a full featured radio. It’s not some micro-hatch, either, this is a good sized car, and a sedan at that. And it’s for that reason that I like the Armada Ceres. Because, at the very heart of the car, it has a soul. The soul of a sports car.”

@4LGE

Luke moved over to the Taore Gordon 3CO and gave his first impressions on it.

“Well, it certainly looks more traditional than the Ceres, but that wouldn’t take a lot of work. Still, it’s not bad looking for a hatch.”

He opened the door and settled into the driver’s seat. “Leather, five seats, and another car with the full-featured radio. Plus side-curtain air bags. Someone understands the value of a true eco car is to be as comfortable as you can while driving your box of complete boredom. Then again, I shouldn’t be so harsh on this car. Driving any normal eco-car after the thrill of driving the Ceres is going to… Well, it’s going to show through a bit. Still, the Taore Gordon does manage to supply the driver with enough things to do. Plus, there’s a 7 speed stick on the floor, so you’re not completely out of luck.”

Luke pulled the hood release and got out, looking at the engine. “Inline 3, DOHC 12 valve, direct fuel injection on a single throttle body, magnesium block and AlSi heads. Not a bad little setup, for the third inline 3 in the competition. Redline at 6100 RPM, peak power is 105 horsepower at redline, and makes 109 ft-lb of torque at 3100 RPM. Exhaust is based on a 1.25 inch diameter and consists of long tubular steel headers, a three-way catalytic converter, and twin baffled mufflers. The entire exhaust system appears to have been made with stainless steel for rust resistance, as well.”

He got back into the car and started another long drive. “Well, for an inline 3, it doesn’t have a bad exhaust note. And the radio can easily drown it out. 11.5 seconds from 0 to 60, so while it’s not exactly fast, it’s still a bit quicker than the proverbial turtle. Speedometer might be optimistic, though, at 140. My guess, it’ll top out around 120, maybe 125 miles per hour, and getting there would take just long enough for a cop to stop you and ask what the hell you think you’re doing. Granted, this isn’t a race car, it’s an eco-car. At 55, you put it in seventh and turn 1600 RPM, and 75, same gear, at 2100 RPM. Which, to be fair, is decent. The engine’s not sitting there racing away like crazy, it can actually manage a reasonable speed at a reasonable RPM. Which brings me to the next thing, and that is this car’s actually-quite-respectable 53.6 MPG. This car is proof that if you can put up with seven speeds on the stick, you can get good mileage with a manual gearbox. The problem is, it’s easier for car manufacturers to justify putting 7, or 8, or 9 speeds in an automatic or sequential box. People, most people that is, don’t like changing their own gears. They don’t know how to work on cars, and thereby go around not liking things us car guys do like. They dread oil changes, cringe at the thought of topping up their radiator, whine about things like clutches and driving stick, and in the end, they just want to go from point 0 to point 1 without any hassle at all. And, to be fair, I still somewhat respect that. But I enjoy the involvement of a car with a manual gearbox. There’s something beautiful about doing a clutchless rev-matched gear change between third and fourth because you know how to do it. There’s a certain grace in being able to go from first to third, then third to fifth, and then finally drop it in seventh because you can. Or being able to drop from seventh to fourth and boot it to get around someone moving slow. Ironically, the one big thing wrong with the Armada Ceres is the thing the Taore Gordon got right, the stick on the floor. I have nothing but respect for sequentials, they have their place in fun to drive, madly-insane sports cars, and in cars where an automatic simply won’t do.”

Luke parked the car, having actually finalized his review on the move this time.

10 Likes

@cpufreak101

Luke looked at the GTAR Liar, then at the stats sheet. “Okay, so GTAR is Galt Track and Race. The car passed tech, so I’m interested to see what the big trick is this car has with a name like that.”

He opened the door and settled into the driver’s seat. “Oh, not again. I had the same gripes with the Bogliq, an absolutely appalling interior. However, I’m more willing to forgive it here, because the Liar is $9,940 less expensive. So, I won’t pan the interior completely, but I will admit that I find the bare floors covered in rubber floor mats a bit disgusting. Radio’s also pretty basic, so we all know, there’s going to be no way to cover up the engine noise at speed. Granted, at least they’ve done right with the airbags, even though they’ve only provided driver’s and passenger’s bags, they’re not from the cheapest bidders. Also, another stick, though a 6 speed this time.”

Luke then pulled the hood release and took a look at what GTAR had come up with for their engine. “Inline 6, DOHC 24 valve, magnesium block, AlSi heads, turbocharged, DFI with a single throttle body. Redline at 7200 RPM, 168 horsepower at 7200 RPM, and 150 ft-lb of torque at 4800 RPM. It’s punchy. Exhaust is a 2.5 inch diameter, three way catalytic converter, and twin baffled mufflers, again using stainless steel piping for rust prevention.”

He got back into the car and started off on the last long drive of the day. “Well, I’m still not happy about the interior, but at this price point, I can’t complain too much. Though I’d prefer if they’d saved a little more money and just dumped the magnesium block. Still, it’s responsive, although I’ve got a few things I don’t like about it aside from the crappy interior. Zero to 60 is good, at 7 seconds. Not so good? The brake fade issue. Notably, that it’s pretty obvious right away. But you could avoid it, for the most part, by keeping it in mind. Another thing that’s nice is the 50.4 MPG. But there’s so much more room for improvement. Adding a sheet of metal to the entire underbelly would have increased the fuel efficiency enough to allow having a normal interior. In fact, from my simulations, it would have had a net gain in fuel efficiency. The price is $15,960, and adjusting for my simulations, it would’ve come out to $16,940. So if GTAR were willing to spend a little more and adjust the price up by $1000, you’d have a nicer interior. But, I also respect the goal of trying for the lowest price point. The car we need, after all, is not some $300,000 monster that gets 200 MPG, we need cheap cars that get better mileage. And the GTAR Liar wasn’t lying about that.”

Luke parked up and got out, finishing the review with, “As much as I panned the Bogliq for doing the same thing, I have to praise GTAR for doing the same thing. This is very much the car the world needs right now. Cheap, reliable, and fuel efficient. While I would have spent the extra $1000 to put in the better interior and skin the underbelly with sheet metal, at the same time, I see exactly why we need cars like this. $1000 can easily put a car out of someone’s budget. Possibly, if GTAR is listening, a second model with the undertray and interior packages installed would be a wise addition to your car lot.”

@rcracer11m

Luke’s first impressions of the Mott Works Mercury could be considered either rude or nice, depending on the feelings of the subject matter.

“The front end reminds me of a spider. Eight headlights instead of eight eyes. Still, worse things to draw inspiration from, I suppose. Although I wish there were door handles on this car. It may be 2018, but electronic door poppers just haven’t gotten good enough to be common just yet. Batteries still die, and if the battery dies, you can’t get into the car to unlock the hood to change the battery.”

He then opened the driver’s door and settled into the seat, taking note of the standard interior package and the AM/FM/CD/Bluetooth radio in the dash. “Reasonably common. Four seats is also nice, and I’m glad to see that the radio seems to be rather well assembled. Some care was taken in this car.”

Luke pulled the hood release and got out to look at the engine. “Inline 4, DOHC, 20 valves, all AlSi construction, direct injected, turbocharged, single throttle body, and a performance intake. Redline at 6700, 120 horsepower at 5800, and 155 ft-lb of torque at 2500 RPM. Not bad. Exhaust is based on a 1.75 inch diameter piping, three way catalytic, and twin baffled mufflers. Surprisingly, this car has bypass valves to let the noise out, and there’s a coating of high-temperature paint.”

He got back into the car, started it up, then headed out on another long drive. “Not overly bad. Brakes work as they should, with no fade. It does 0-60 in 9.4 seconds and the 7 speed sequential’s pretty good. The engine settles in around 1860 RPM in seventh gear at 55, almost 2500 RPM at 75. Really not bad. But if you click down three gears and boot it… Well, it’s still somewhat a turtle. But it’s getting 59.2 MPG, so it’s not really not all that bad.”

Luke parked the Mercury, then got out and finished the review.

“Mott Works did something right. While the Mercury isn’t exactly fast or sporty, or even the most fuel efficient, you get a reasonable amount of car for your $24,920. This wagon, if you can get past the spider-inspired front end, isn’t a bad choice for an economical car.”

@harizvet1

Luke looked at the last car in the lineup, the Infinity Motors CL25. “Aggressive looking. Not quite as outlandish as the Armada Ceres, but still carries some insanity for a hatch. Well, I’ve got one last car, and one last test drive. Then a long day of thinking about which two cars I’m going to own.”

He opened the driver’s door and settled into the seat. “Leather, four seats, and the AM/FM/CD and Bluetooth compatible radio. Also lots of airbags in here. I’ll give Infinity Motors this, they designed a nice looking interior. Again, another car with a sequential, though a 6 speed this time. Let’s check out what they put under the hood of their CL25.”

Luke pulled the hood release and got out, lifting the lid and exposing the last engine of the day to the fading sun. “Inline 4, all AlSi construction, 16 valves, little on the big side at 2.5 liters. Turbocharged, with an air-to-air intercooler, DFI single throttle body, and a standard air box. Exhaust is built on a 1.75 inch piping diameter, has a three-way catalytic and twin baffled mufflers, coated in high-temperature paint for rust resistance. Redline and peak power both exist at 5400 RPM, with 146 horses to pull this mighty hatch along. 211 ft-lb of torque at 2100 RPM as well. In the 90’s, this could have made for a hellish little hot hatch.”

He got into the car and headed out on the last drive of the day, although he knew there were still more drives to go, just with different purposes than feeling out the cars. “Zero to 60 takes 8.2 seconds, which isn’t the fastest I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with, but it is certainly not bad. Brakes have the tiniest suggestion of fade, so it’s something to look out for. The radio can easily drown out the engine noise at speed, and the car is getting 52.4 MPG. Little over 1800 RPM in sixth at 55, and a touch over 2400 RPM at 75, which explains the fuel efficiency. It’s also surprisingly comfortable. Perhaps the most surprising thing is that the CL25 feels… Normal. Other than some mildly sluggish acceleration, it feels like a normal car. It’s comfortable, it’s easy to drive, and it handles… Well, okay, it handles like a compact car. But it doesn’t feel like the iconic eco-hatch that everyone sees clogging up the highway. It feels more like a car of the early 2000’s, before the whole hybrid craze lit off and started this whole mess in the first place.”

Luke parked the car, and in the last light of the sunset, finished the review.

“Infinity Motors did a good job with the CL25. While the $25,900 price tag is a touch hard to swallow, you get a lot of car for your money. Specifically, you get a car that feels like a premium compact of the early 2000’s, not like the eco-hatch it really is. 52.4 MPG is nothing to sneeze at, and while other cars have beaten it soundly, it’s still capable. What surprised me most is this: Other manufacturers stepped down safety or interior or the radio in order to punch up the fuel efficiency. Infinity Motors, on the other hand, offered an engine with adequate stats, and an interior that is truly no-compromises. Sure, you lose a seat, but no one likes sitting in the middle in the back seat anyway. And while they could have traded their magnesium rims for some cooling flaps for better fuel efficiency, I’ll admit that maybe, just maybe, they made the right choice. Mostly because they’ve delivered a car that’s almost exactly what the average person would be looking for.”

End of the First Stage Reviews.

First Cuts Coming Soon.

10 Likes

3 Likes

I’m rather pleased with the current results. Thanks for the effort you put in @Madrias, I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Nice reviews. :slight_smile: I’d be worried about monotonously repeating myself, especially since a lot of the big choices in cars have no real detail in Automation (e.g. ergonomics on the interior).

(Sorry, a bit OCD about ‘replying’ to the wrong post…)

And this is why I won “Most WTF car” folks! :sunglasses:

I wasn’t happy with my submission but I was becalmed by a design drought and couldn’t come up with something better… Sorry about that, Luke, I really wanted to be a cool member of the Hybrid Beater’s League, NOT just some obscure comic book reference for car nerds!!! :sob:

5 Likes

God, now I’m wishing I’d entered this… please can we have a second round @Madrias?
preferably with 2 doors this time?
please?
pretty please? :persevere: :yum: :innocent:

2 Likes

I’m thinking of a second round, but some time in the new year and probably after a bit of a break. It’s been a lot of fun, actually. Just the reviews are a little (a lot) time consuming and it’s my first real challenge, so I’m trying to do things right.

And I’ve got a few ideas in mind of other challenges I want to try doing. But this was kinda something I wanted to do.

9 Likes

and eco trucks! :smiley:

Hmm… I think I would have made a somewhat different design if I realised that subjective concerns factored into the competition.

lol okay… since technically single cabin pick-up are a 2 doors

@Madrias has done an excellent job with the reviews. I am eagerly anticipating the first round of cuts; as things stand right now, I’m not entirely sure who will make the cut and who won’t!

I actually considered entering this contest with a cheap and cheerful compact hatch similar in design philosophy to the car that @Leedar submitted, but was too unsure of how well it would fare in the judging for me to join. Still, hats off to the entrants for providing a quality field!

1 Like

The reviews are subjective. The data is concrete. My favorite car is not, actually, the winner, but I’ve said too much already.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure making a sports car in a field of boring Eco mobiles knocks me out of the running already but I’ve achieved what I set out to do :joy:

1 Like

Oh, okay. So reviews are for ‘flavour’ then?

1 Like

Pretty much. The reviews are the prize for participating, and said prize is to have your car reviewed by a character of mine who has a lot of little dislikes about the typical eco car. All the reviews are there for is to provide something in return for giving it a good try, and thereby having something to read after having gone through two weeks of waiting.

As for the actual scores… Well, I’ve gotten everything but the final three’s write-ups done, so I’m mostly just taking a little break before I start to go insane from staring at Automation and a text editor for too long.

Just I’m making everyone else wait because, well, I’m evil like that.

6 Likes

i actually forgot i put the 4 speed in there. suprisingly that was the best for economy, go figure.

1 Like

Honestly, I kinda liked seeing all the various strategies everyone used to make 50+ MPG. To see someone going old-school with the 4 speed actually made me laugh when I first saw it.