Hybrid Beaters League

wait… i just realised… there’s only, what 3 cars that gets 60mpg and more???

Yeah, only 3 cars hit 60 MPG or more. But I understand, everyone had different ideas on how to do this challenge.

They are the top 3, aren’t they?

i doubt that. but i believe at least one of those 3 will make it to the finalist

1 Like

Yay, Luna’s review looks positive :smile: And a little trace of sportiness was noticed, perfect. I take this for a success, especially considering that Luna was not built for this challenge, but is only a lore-friendly variant of my completely standard company car created with minimal engineering and maximal use of standard parts (that’s why it has DCT and active suspension, as only these are available in Luna) :slight_smile:

But it’s bad that Luke didn’t hear much about Zavir :confused: It’s obviously my fault, as there aren’t many Zavir cars posted, but to explain the things a bit I can say that Zavir is something between Alfa Romeo, Maserati, BMW and maybe Cadillac or Lincoln, and Luna is something like Alfa Romeo Giulietta and BMW 1.

2 Likes

Oh you…

Premium interior mustn’t mean leather, or at least not real leather :wink: Could mean just heated, ventilated and electrically actuated seats, electronic climate control, maybe even electric parking brake and park assist… * shrugs * It’s a bit vague and down on interpretation.
The alternative would’ve been be a proper, down to earth, not-quite Bogliq-standard ( :sweat_smile: ) trim, but for this, I felt the extra comfort is appreciated!

[spoiler]Meanwhile I’m contemplating whether I’ve created something that I would despise IRL: An exquisitely gimmicky premium eco cruiser for pretentious elitist twats. The only thing that would prevent that car from getting into the hands of that group is the manual transmission, because weenie rich daddyboys could be afraid of the car figuratively shoving that stick right up their behind, right next to the stick already present courtesy of being brought up by a textbook soccer mom :confounded: [/spoiler]/totally serious rant over.

@Madrias I really enjoyed reading all of the reviews, the references and comparisons make it pretty engaging. Even though I’ve just been on about it, interpreting what the interior looks like does add a lot of immersion. Just my wishful thinking that there could be more detailed interior options from the game itself, like, as mentioned, distance sensors for parking (which the Gordon is supposed to have) or even rear view camera, A/C or not and etc.

1 Like

My target market were the BMW/Audi crowd, even though the performance was a BIT lack luster, so leather was a perfect choice. I figured if you have to have a humdrum econo-box at least it should be comfortable, and semi-capable at what life throws at you.

Which I am guessing @strop went the complete polar opposite and built a car to live.

I do not have any sales pitch for the Karna. But I do have a report from one of the first owner who bought a Karna back in 2012.

"The first Mitsushita I have ever had experience with was a 1977 Mitsushita Boarilla. My dad traded his '73 BKOO Euroride for the thing. The Euroride as I’m sure everybody remembered, was a great concept ruined by cost cutting and gross incompetence on one of the largest American automobile manufacturer of the day. To this day I still have no idea why they use cast iron cylinder head on aluminum engine block, that and countless other problem that arise in 4 years we had the car. The Euroride we had went in for many warranty repairs just like any other Euroride back then. And by early '77 my dad wanted something new, something better. Granted, it shouldn’t take much of an effort to improve upon a Euroride.

My dad never had an import before. And he was quite a skeptic, especially towards Japanese product. He spent most of his youth in 1940’s after all. But then back in '77 these Boarilla were absolutely everywhere in the area where we lived. The Boarilla first arrived here in 1968. And while they didn’t make much of an impact before 1973. After the oil crisis hit they were the shit. If you didn’t buy either the Fahrzeug or the Ossan S51, you had the Boarilla.

To be honest however, back then I didn’t know why people like them so much. I was 15 in 1977. With fresh driving’s license and teenage’s mindset. The cool dudes back then had pre-malaise muscle car. There was this football player with a '69 Dearborn Pinto Mangusta 425cui, or this guy with a '66 BKOO GTS 419. Those guys were the king back then, still now I guess. I wonder where they and those cars are today.

But then there I was. With my dad’s '77 Boarilla. A 1.6 Boarilla G (Which stands for Grand or something, it has stuff like the rev-counter and 5 speed gearbox). Actually I didn’t get to drive that car much, I only get to borrow it a couple of times. And by the time I was 16 I worked and got enough money to buy my first car, it was a '61 Carnegie, you know those really ugly goblin downsized Carnegie? I had one with a 360 cubic inches V8. I guess you know why I wasn’t really interested in the Boarilla. No girls cared about the Boarilla. Actually they didn’t care for the goblin 61-62 Carnegie either, but that’s beside the point.

But looking back at the Boarilla today. I understand now why my dad love the thing so much.

It always, starts. It doesn’t matter if it’s desert hot or north pole cold. That thing always starts. And it’s not like my dad cherish the thing like it was a goddamn FRE or Ocelot sports car, he ragged on it like there’s no tomorrow. Working as a travelling salesman he put like 130,000 heavily abused miles on it in 4 years. And by 1983 the thing was a real jalopy. Dents in every single panels. Also the rustproofing on these 1970’s model are terrible, as you know, so the thing was already rusting even in the dry California climate. And yet, that thing will always starts in the morning. No tinkering required.

By the end of the decade however, most of these early Mitsushita are gone. But they were replaced by new Mitsushitas. My dad had another 6 Mitsushita since. He still has one now. A 2014 Boarilla 2.4 G.

Even though my dad isn’t interested in machinery like I do. His obsession with a Mitsushita did rubbed off on me however. And I bought my first Mitsushita in 1986. It was a used 1982 Mitsushita Karna.

Back then I still had my Carnegie, obviously. But it was not a really viable mode of transportation. Not with the loud glasspack muffler and hopelessly short 4.11 drag-racing rear end. The thing was doing 10mpg at best. The '82 Karna was one of the first Karna ever made. In 1986 the thing was already hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Particularly in reliability. Even a 4 years old example retained value like nothing else. And quite difficult to find back then. The demand for a new one was so high, the used example can go for the same amount of money, sometimes more. But I was lucky to get that one. It was a joy to own.

Since then, like my dad. I had another 6 Mitsushitas. Mostly the Karna.

I got this one, the latest gen Karna. Back when they were released. A 2012 Mitsushita Karna 3.5 G. With a V6 obviously. I will admit they aren’t the most exciting car ever made, not even with my rare manual option. But you gotta admit. As a package for daily usage, there’s very little you could want more. In 6 years time I drive the car absolutely everywhere. Raking up miles after miles. It currently has 140,000 miles on the clock. And you’d be hard pressed to find evidence that it has done 140,000 miles, giving out absolutely no problem what-so-ever. It’s also very easy to drive, quite comfortable, decently economical, and very practical to boot. Quite a package.

Hell, today I still wonder why Mitsushita is still in business. You buy one, drive it all over the place, never need to replace them at all! Regular maintenance is still required obviously. But they might as well have been built out of fucking brick the Egyptian built their pyramids out of.
"

5 Likes

The reviews were damn straight spot-on. All cars seem to have their ups and downs and all I can say is I’m waiting for the results! :smiley:

3 Likes

Disappointed Luke didn’t like my retro warm banana yellow. :grimacing: Although glad he picked up on the quietness; the turbo is actually there to muffle the engine, straighten out the torque curve and reduce throttle response (considered more comfortable), rather than for extra economy (the added efficiency balances out with the added weight).

The overall gamble of my car is that the difference in weight between all the factors, particularly fuel economy, isn’t very large, so that slashing the price by almost a quarter of the max price while maintaining average ability in all the major areas could haul in a lot of points (also picking up a lot of nearly free points in regards to practicality, utility and cargo space). Also, I just thought that would be an interesting counterpoint to all the sports car I thought I was seeing, and the engine is kind of retroactive lore-ful (I mocked up the Meteor roadster afterward with not bad results). I guess there is a good chance that price happens not to be weighted strongly enough for this to work. :sweat_smile:

Hybrid Beaters League: First Cuts

All good things must come to an end, and for these cars, they’ve fallen from the ranks, cut down by their combined statistics value.

@Dorifto_Dorito

With a Final Score of 131.12 points, the EADC Weasel fell first. Possibly it was the exotic brakes that pushed the price too high, or the pushrod rear suspension that took up too much cargo space, but either way, as nice and fun as the little hatchback could have been, its long run stopped here.

@HighOctaneLove

With a score of 179.5725, the Bogliq Bastion Ecostar is the second to leave the competition. The combination of expensive parts and the interior of an industrial vehicle caused the Bastion to fall hard. But, all is not lost as many people would inevitably be drawn toward the 56 MPG sedan.

@Strop

At 183.635 points, the Armada Ceres gets dropped from the main list, not because it isn’t loved, but because the cold hard data said that it has run out of time. However, it will get a mention later on, because it was the most bold wild-card, offering the eco car the world really and truly wanted.

@JohnWaldock

Holding 186.775 points to its name, the JHW Epoque gets to drive off into the sunset a little earlier than expected. A car that got really decent mileage, yes, but cost the full budget and didn’t offer quite enough statistical advantages to hold itself out of the water.

@harizvet1

With 195.11 points, the Infinity Motors CL25 is the last car in the 100’s on points. $25900 and 52.4 MPG somewhat let this car down, and so it, too, must go. But, that’s not saying it’s a bad car. Far from that. Any of these cars in this first cuts list are good cars, just, they were up against better cars.

@titleguy1

201.53 points went to the Kimura Automotive EPi-X, a car that I really liked. Unfortunately, the high price, at $25,620, combined with 51.1 MPG led to the downfall of this bold looking car.

@szafirowy01

The Zavir Luna SuperTIDe ended up collecting 215.11 points over the long, hard fought battle of the Hybrid Beaters. But, though it was a great accomplishment, it wasn’t quite enough.

@4LGE

The Taore Gordon 3CO pulled a 218.2475 point round, and fell to the cold hard mathematics behind the round itself.

@Zabhawkin

At 219.42 points, the DMA LW118-E did not go quietly. The final Inline 3 fell in the first round of cuts, facing off against much bigger engines, more powerful cars, turbochargers, and higher cylinder counts. But we have to give respect for this inline 3 beating out a V6, an Inline 6, and 3 Inline 4’s, as well as the other 2 Inline 3’s. Sadly, the last car in the first round of cuts is the last Inline 3.

6 Likes

whaaaa :fearful: the EPi-X got cut… but it looked so flashy on the brochure…

…not saying I didn’t spend considerable amounts of time on my car :joy: but I definitely knew what I was getting into. VROOM VROOM MOTHERFUCKERS

2 Likes

The spreadsheet is unforgiving, sadly. Cold hard numbers calculated those scores, and so the cars live and die by those numbers.

That tension build up as you scroll down hoping not to see your car. :frowning: :anguished: :hushed: :neutral_face: :smirk:

… but what if I get cut next? :scream:

3 Likes

Please save me from being cut, cargo space/practicality/utility!

4 Likes

Pretty high score for Luna, success! :slight_smile: At least it looks like it now, when we don’t know how high scores were got by the best cars.

3 Likes

So I’m still masochistically playing around with this contest and I realise

4 Likes

Oh, I’m enjoying this too much. Yes, I already have the second round of cuts set up, all the screenshots taken. But I think I’m going to let people sweat a little more about whether they’re in the second set of cuts or whether they stand a chance…

I’ve got a dead meme ready to go if I get cut. Bracing for impact! (no, that isn’t it)