Hybrid Beaters League

now, i’ve got a car that does 0-62 in under 10 seconds that gets 60mpg US. i think thats pretty good.

2 Likes

Look, there’s a Gnoo!

I haven’t put in nearly enough polish to make this a contender for the win, and frankly I have sacrificed too much of everything else in the name of fuel efficiency, but it was a very fun build nonetheless. Good challenge Madrias!

Powered by the latest iteration of Gnoo’s hyper-economical turbo I6 family with its roots deep in the eighties, the EarthFriend is the car of choice for nature- and money-conscious folk in and around Blomozvakia. This particular model comes with the mid-tier equipment package, including such lavish luxuries as seat padding, air bags and a music box.

I’d hazard a very easy to drive, comfortable and reasonably fast car could be built at 4l/100km. I’ve gone a bit lower than that, for no good reason.

6 Likes

Is that an NA build??? If so hot damn that’s good. Your car is a good 200kg lighter than mine, I’m wagering the interior has something to do with it… And the turbo and my oodles of torque requiring a heavier transmission the rest.

2 Likes

Actually. All the car that i made for this challenge, i never found any success with turbos. The extra weight didn’t compensate the extra efficiency.

And on that one. It’s using basic everything. And not even low cast friction pistons. It’s a 3l v6

1 Like

Not even low friction cast :astonished: that’s like a 15% saving right there

1 Like

Wait. Did you? 300hp with low friction cast? Wut

Im using lightweight forged. The stuff that i had to give up is slightly ridiculous

1 Like

Yeah, I have, ehem, a few Tech sliders on the valvetrain and fuel injection. The service costs may be a little on the dear side for a 26k car :sweat_smile:

But still yeah. 300bhp. Low friction cast. Redline is a tad low but to compensate I made lots of torque from 2k (like 410Nm). And 81 reliability. It’s been a revelation to me too.

2 Likes

If you guys saw my benchmark car, you’d probably die laughing.

Now I’m interested in seeing the benchmark car, what’s the funny bit? Acceleration?

1 Like

I can’t post the car’s stats without spoiling the challenge, but what I can say is this: the benchmark car has a V8 in it.

4 Likes

hmm can I build a 3 seat car and call it a limo? it has a v8…

1 Like

Well, you could, but… I did mention it not long after the challenge opened, when koolkei asked if 4 seats was implicitly forced, that 4 seats are required as a minimum. I should probably go add that to the main post.

I know, I know, I’m not particularly good at hosting challenges, but I’m still kinda learning.

1 Like

I wonder If I will be able to finish tweaking the car, so many questions going through my head, save 100$ off the price tag for 0.3 point loss of comfort? Gain more Utility and Practicality, and a tiny bit of Reliability in exchange of losing a bit of drivability, 1 point of comfort, 1.3 points of sportiness and 0.1 mpg?

1 Like

yup. you’re at that super fine tuning stage that we all go through for (almost) every challenge

1 Like

The marvellous thing about this is that while design choices are often made in painstaking manners in real car engineering, the fact we get values derived and updated like this is almost like reverse engineering. Really turns the thought process on its head despite the fact the agonising is almost exactly the same :joy:

3 Likes

Very much the same as building a project car too. The time spent measuring where to mount even leaf springs only to worry about things still not lining up quite right when you start cutting and welding is insane. And I still haven’t figured out how and where I am going to mount the shocks.

1 Like

Well, with the poll closed up, MPG took the lead, rather unsurprisingly.

So, as I said, I’d reveal one multiplier, though there are plenty of others that make up the sum of your score. The community has said they wanted to see the fuel efficiency value, and thereby, your magic number is…

MPG (US) * 2.35.

Now, do keep in mind there are other multipliers at work, and that your score is a sum of all the modifiers. Oh, and MPG’s multiplier is tied with something else for the lead, and I’m not saying which one. So, build carefully!

Hm. Ok then. Screw the Eco tyres, I’m going medium compound for extra sportiness!

(And a 0-100 in the 5s, and a 13s quarter mile).

1 Like

Have you ever made a slow car? :smile:

1 Like

I’m starting to wonder what your safety figures look like.

1 Like