IMP Automobilbau - Heavy Bois

Halving the cylinder count hasn’t reduced the appeal of the IMR M0-1 one bit… The color is odd but somehow it fits the car better than I thought!

Rule No.1 of being IMP: Everything must be purple.

Bonus because this thread has been dormant for so long:

This has a six cylinder engine. Unusual for an IMP straight six it is a considerably short stroke design and develops 510hp.

6 Likes

damn, a 4 cylinder supercar from 2017? You’re making my eco-hypercar Kelpie concept look late to the party!

1 Like

When did I ever say anything about economy?

3 Likes

Actual important update for once.

My PC has recently fried its graphics card, meaning I am unable to use it at all. Since the UE4 update is upon us I will soon have to completely revisit my entIre Company catalog. Some of then May not survive.
IMP, Monolith and LV are here to stay, and so is Nuntius, although it will probably receive a change of name to something easier on the lips. The Tripartite will not happen, as its barely developed japanese and italian members will definetely not make the transition. This leaves Doberman and AMCC. AMCC was a firm crowd favourite, so it’ll likely survive but merged with Doberman into a north American mega corporation of a different name.

Along with the changes to my companies the lore will also be revised. LaVache’s Story will not be altered, making it the only one of my companies that survives the transition unaltered.
IMPs origin as a car manufacturer is bound to be completely changed and include the eternal dream of the people’s car. The Company will also not abandon the low-end market altogether as its current incarnation did. Instead its cars will be Split into a “Super-class” and a “Meister-class”.

One major addition with UE4 will be the IMP V10 for passenger vehicles.

Monolith will mostly stay the same and as before it’ll be Limited in its development by the availability of Utility bodies in the game. As for the rest any changes will happen as they come.

A previously unreleased vehicle for your time.

10 Likes

Looking forward to this. On a side note, that is one great looking car, especially love the rear!

By remaking much of several of your companies’ lore, all of your cars could turn out better than before - and the Teuton III looks ace, especially in bright blue!

Given that my last PC was actually a six-year old mid-range Laptop you May be onto something. I intend on replacing it with a 2017 equivalent. Therefore the improved performance should allow me to turn out higher quality Designs at a decent rate. Hopefully the additions to the UE4 Version will give me enough material for new concepts.

4 Likes

Filler.

The IMP E Type engine was released in 1962 for a new line of large IMP motorcycles (Motorcycles are going to be a part of the UE4 lore revamp), it was a highly advanced and lightweight all-Aluminium Design with four cylinders, featuring a roller-bearing crankshaft with three Main bearings, a cross-flow SOHC cylinder head with hemispherical combustion Chambers and an angle of 22.5° between the valves and Hydraulic Valve lifters. Originally it displaced just under 1000cc which resulted in an output of 55hp, or 85hp in competition trim with Twin carburettors. The engine was very lightweight at just 82kg wet, and rather responsive and rev-Happy. Almost immediately it also found its way into the recently facelifted IMP Teuton, where it replaced the aging 1300cc B Type.

The 1000cc engine didn’t last long though, as it was too completely and expensive for a compact family car. After just four months the E1000 was replaced by a simpler 1200cc Version with a conventional crankshaft assembly, but five Main bearings for better smoothness. It too produced 55hp. The Teuton 1500 and 1800TS meanwhile were replaced by the cast iron, 75hp D Type powered Teuton 150. The Teuton 120 was only marginally slower though due to much less weight, free revving cylinder head and shorter gearing. 1000cc Teutons continued to be successful in 1000cc Touring Car races. In 1965 the second generation Teuton II was unveiled. It used much of the Teuton 120s underpinnings but with Detail improvements all around. The 1200cc engine now produced 63hp while the new Teuton TS used a 1200cc competition engine with the original roller bearing crankshaft, dry-sump lubrication and Twin carburettors for a total of 90hp. This was finished by a 5-speed transmission.

The Teuton III of 1972 was a clean sheet design that moved the Nameplate even further into Sports car territory. Suspension was now fully independent with MacPherson struts up front and Chapman struts at the rear. The 5-speed transmission was now standard on the base model and the engine had been moved so far back into the engine bay that the car could boast 50/50 weight distribution.

The engine itself had been bored out to 1.4L. The standard engine now made 85hp while the competition spec TS had been fitted with a unique mechanical fuel injection System developed by the newly founded IMR Motorsport and Skunkworks division. Additionally the rotating assembly had been individually balanced. With these changes the engine produced 119hp in street legal trim while racing engines were up to 175hp. The TS was also noteworthy for having a Bonnet and front fenders made from Aluminium instead of steel. Surprisingly Honda’s 1300 Coupe 9S came very close in concept and specification apart from its front wheel drive and air cooling.

Unfortunately the Honda was never sold in europe and very few Teuton III made it to Japan as Grey imports. IMP did not Start selling its passenger vehicles in Asia officially until 1979. As of now nobody has performed a comparison test between these two iconic cars. Interestingly a non-running 1300 Coupe 9S actually resides in the IMP Museum alongside the blue TS featured in this article.

But since the Teuton had strayed too far from its people’s car origins into a radical performance machine the Teuton III only lasted three years. The Teuton IV of 1975 was a far more conventional family sedan, and for the first time ever it was available in other bodystyles than a two-door saloon. The Teuton IV eventually morphed into the hugely successful Impakt line of cars.

6 Likes

Eugh fuck I wanted to be all special an and unique with a brand that made motorbike engines but now I’m hearing IMP, Zavir, Seishido and a new company by Vri getting into it as well…

I mean it’s a good thing I suppose but God dammit :stuck_out_tongue:

Apart from that, the story to the development of the car is great!

1 Like

You could always try aircraft :wink:, at least that’s what I’m doing with Nadier-Schoefield

1 Like

GOD DAMNIT!!! :frowning:

3 Likes

I have never seen strut-sprung rear suspension on front-engined cars, so how do you simulate it?

In game terms: Semi trailing arms. In lore terms: a coilover strut located by two trailing arms longitudinally and an enclosed driveshaft laterally.

Marine engines are the way to go.

4 Likes

Bicycles :frowning:

1 Like

Lawn mover engines.

For when you want your lawn mover to out drag a muscle car, anyway.

1 Like

Upper engines for street sweepers.

1 Like

The Opera. The IMP. The 5th generation.

The Opera has been IMPs flagship ever since it’s launch in 1977. It has been a perfect ambassador for our core values of unsurpassed quality, durability and top-Tier Engineering paired with calm and timeless design. The 5th generation, launched in 2015 was predetermined to continue these values into the current automotive climate.

The aluminium chassis was retained from the 4th generation, but the rounded lines have been replaced by a more classically proportioned body.

It is very noteworthy that the body panels are Made entirely from carbon fibre and other compound materials, one of the first mass produced cars to do so. The CF-Hybrid body technology has since trickeled down to many of the recently revamped lower-tier IMP vehicles, most notably the 2017 Impakt, the 2017 GS and the 2016 Monolith M-X.

On the engine front, the big change has been the partial discontinuation of V8 engines in favour of a resurgence of IMPs classic straight six engine. The RL48 and RL54 have been removed from the Opera lineup, the latter being replaced by a twin-turbocharged variant of our legendary 3.8L I6, the HG-38FET with 510hp, while the 4.8L V8 was indirectly superseded by the naturally aspirated HG-38LE with 345hp and the 410hp variant of our 4.25L Turbodiesel I6. The entry-Level petrol engine remains a 3.0L I6 with 265hp, and above the 3.8L Turbo resides the familiar 5.8L VL-58G V8 with 575hp, only available in the sporty Opera S1. The de-facto flagship model is the Opera Velocitas introduced at the 2016 Automation Paris Autoshow with a 6.4L Twin-Turbo V8. IMP deliberately withheld any power figures for this model as to not cause any HP wars between any of our competitors. The Diesel engines have been completely renewed, with the 3.4L I6 being the entry level engine, and three Power levels of the 4.25L I6, 310hp, 365hp, and 410hp in the 2017 Opera 425SD.

On the transmission front the 6-speed automatic has been replaced by the 8-speed 845AE-L and 885AE-L transmissions. The Velocitas and the 425SD use a special Version of this transmission rated for higher torque, the 885AE-K.
A surprise for many people was the reintroduction of a new 7-speed manual transmission across the range in 2017, the new 710M is a pet project of IMPs chief of Engineering Fritz Heinemann, who is an accomplished car enthusiast and rally driver, being one of the drivers in IMPs legendary 1980s Paris-Dakar operation. The Velocitas is not available with this transmission.

There are three trim levels available, the Opera Standard, the Opera Super which is effectively fully loaded and the Opera Econom, only available on the 3.4L Diesel and optimized for Maximum efficiency. The Econom does achieve a record fuel economy for non-hybrid luxury cars with 4,8L per 100km or 49mpg US.

One major announcement came with the heavily modified 2018 IMP L8, which uses a long Stroke Version of the 5.8L V8. It has been completely reworked for absolute luxury with different body panels, 30cm of additional wheelbase and an all-new Hand made interior.

12 Likes