Legrand Autowork

From 1942 to now Legrand is one serious speed obsessed brand.with its first car Legrand Speedwagon powered by notorious V12 engine making 325hp at 3500rpm this van can really move.

Uploading…

1 Like

325 hp, in 1942? Hoollllyy cow

yep

That’s a bit like 3000+hp in something modern - it serves no purpose except being fun :slight_smile: When I made such car (300+hp in early 40s) “insanity” was included in its name :smile:

1 Like

when your hypercar is a van XD

2 Likes

Espace F1? :smiley:

1 Like

lol yeah

1 Like

It looks like it’s also a SOHC or DOHC design, both would be very exotic for the era especially on a V12

Edit: @koolkei true, true

1 Like

single cam gears
either DAOHC or just SOHC.

1 Like

Daohc

I remember how strop told me that 300 hp in 1952 was nuts.

1 Like

Dusenberg SSJs made 400 horsepower in 1937, but thing was like the Bugatti Veyron of its day.

300 hp in the day was certainly outrageous in the day but not unheard of.

1 Like

Its 1945.The war ended year ago.people want a economical truck capable carrying big stuff.The Legrand Autowork Presents Them Contier XL.A Pickup truck never seen before with a Engine that can really beat any eco car that day with just over 120hp from that 3 litre 18 valve SOHC i6 Contier XL is really people’s car.

Another overhead cam setup before the 1955?

That’s some extremely advanced setup

Having overhead cam in the mid 50’s is a pretty huge deal though.

Try to use Pushrod or something cheaper to make it cheaper car i’d say.

My company went overhead in the early 70’s, and I’m building supercars, that IS a hugely advanced design for it’s time. And it shows on the pricetag. No matter how you spin it it won’t be a people’s car, since you can buy a high end sportscar of the time for that kind of money

time for 50’s? or 60’s what time you want now guys?

OHC is not totally otherworldly for the 1950s. While yes, it was mostly a thing in european high-end cars (Jaguar, Mercedes, Ferrari), it was not completely limited to them. Alfa for instance almost exclusively used DOHC ever since ~1920, with the notable exception of the Alfasud, some early Busso V6s and Diesel engines which weren’t designed and built by Alfa anyway. Some of the cheaper and more basic post-war cars actually used OHC as well: all Crosleys, the Lloyd 600/Alexander (that one also had a transversely mounted engine, front-wheel-drive and fully independent suspension years before the Mini) and NSU Prinz (much like Honda, because Motorcycle maker).

Tl;dr You can use OHC in the 1950s, just stay away from using too much in the way of quality sliders

1 Like

Fiat 125 had DOHC in mid 60s, and it was only a mid-class car.

1945 example in a workhorse of a car, please