Manual steering types

How about splitting manual steering into two: rack and pinion, and recirculating ball. Rack and pinion would be more direct (Sportiness+ Drivability+) but very heavy (Comfort–), while recirculating ball would be the other way around. It might add an extra wrinkle into the strategy of '40s and '50s cars. In the BeamNG.drive exporter recirculating ball would manifest in much slower steering and more center play, similar to the Burnside Special.

4 Likes

I support this. I want transaxle type transmissions, too. And a whole lot of other technical variants that would require a whole lot of work from a dev team six times their size. Moar choices, buttons, and balancing! How about a “unibody” chassis that splits the difference between monocoque and ladder frame? (we sorta get that in light truck monocoque, to deflect incoming waa waa waahs, but era) In the process of building a “campaign mode”-type game, these folks have given us a pretty sophisticated car creator. And now, this collab with Beam! Take my monies!!! Tell your friends who like cars!! We are lucky to have a great car-loving community here (my humble opinion as a newbie), I feel like all will come in time, this game is a great product. Maybe by v3 they will buff bench seating. By v7 I will be recommending desmodromic valvetrains, hehe.

2 Likes

What

What

Unibody and Monocoque are the same exact thing. and you do realize we have transaxles in a few forms?

When making a sarcastic comment on how you shouldn’t ask too much from a small indy team goes wrong…

To the OP, I like your suggestion in principle. It looks a small change, but it could mean a lot of work, certainly with the port to BeamNG.

1 Like

In automation, they are.

However, IIRC, a true “Monocoque” means that the body panels are part of the structure, while most unibodies have a simpler kind of construction with a steel skeleton that acts as the supporting structure, which is clad with outer body panels. I might remember wrong though.

Anyway, since almost every unibody car is using the later kind, I see no reason to split it into two types.

true enough, it’s a bit of a misnomer. but the two terms are interchangeable (maybe not rightly) for road cars.

1 Like

I agree with you there and that was also pretty much what I was trying to say. Think of the “monocoque” construction in the game as a regular unibody because on road cars anything else is seldom used.

The truck monocoque is, I guess, like the Mercedes Sprinter where you have an unibody with an integrated frame for the rear where you can build different kind of truck beds, camper shells and such, correct me if I’m wrong.

My apologies for the perceived sarcasm, this came off wrong. Also for the lack of clarity and incorrect use of technical terms. Perhaps I should have called it a “subframe” chassis.subframe
Most passenger car “monocoques” use something like this to support and isolate the engine, etc.

This is what I was intending to reference.

monocoque

Yes, a “true” monocoque (a la Lotus 25) stresses the panels, but examples like these are what I had in mind for monocoque chassis.

I should have been clearer on my transaxle request as well. I would like to be able to mount the transmission between the rear wheels in a FR layout to help with weight distribution.

Sorries.

2 Likes