My attempts in making better car designs (and car ads)

If i ever like the need to experiment more in designs (and in ads), I will just post some here because i feel that the success of a car brand is attention and if a car company gets none, it will just be forgotten and it will die off. ANY COMMENTS AND CRITICISMS ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

1991 Zasteros STB (Street Turbo Burst)

extra angles

8 Likes

You have some extremely good fixture work going on here and good attention to detail. I love this car and it screams late 1980s and early 1990s. It might be a tad too modern in the rear for a 1991 car though. They usually had a bit more body colored plastic and didn’t make a big deal out of their exhaust pipes unless they were high end super cars. Still a good design.

I don’t think you’re ad does it much justice though if I am 100% honest for a couple reasons:

1. Don’t use slogans that state the obvious: “Unique means being different”?

Essentially you gave the definition of the word “unique” which comes across as some combination of idiotic, patronizing, or even mistranslated since you’re company has a non-English-sounding name.

2. Use a narrower angle (longer focal length) lens. The ultrawide shot might work if the car filled less of the composition but I think even so its too distorted.

3. This one is nit-picky and somewhat a matter of personal taste but for your consideration: its very common to put the steering at an angle in ads such that the face of the wheel is more parallel to the image plane. Unless, that is to say, the car is moving in which case I expect motion blur, frame slanting, or something to convey that its moving. This is because it makes the car seem larger and also because it instills a sense of realism as if it were driven to the scene and just so happened to be photographed rather than plopped down there specifically for a photo shoot.

All in all though, great design! Its a damn shame we can’t make our Automation cars come to life easily because I want one of these.

4 Likes

Zasteros Active Turbo - Prototype Super Car (AT-PSC)

Extra Angles

7 Likes

I like it. Beautifully hideous in the best possible way. Definitely some Vector vibes going on.

1 Like

1988 Zasteros Kitsune

Extra Angles

4 Likes

Looks nice, but the front would look better if you flipped the extra driving lights upside down. Still period accurate, and gives me serious Vector vibes, just like the previous car.

Getting better with every car. I like those top headlights with this body and the color is interesting. If you’re looking for ways to improve this one I’d say you’re a little heavy handed with some of the fixtures like the front fender vents and the bottom drive lights. That’s not really a bad thing if the Vector style is what you are going for. The back looks proper 80’s, but the taillights don’t quite mesh with the design imo. Nice picture with the ad. The lighting and colors definitely pop more.

Ok, so after a while I evaluated myself where i am good and bad at so I can properly practice at improving at that certain era of car.

(Certainly I am ok with 80’s-90’s supercars , but I fall badly in other car types especially when reaching the 10’s where I have to extensively experiment with other fixtures to make everything contemporary.)

2019 Zasteros Ardrome

Extra Angles

1 Like

looks really messy. like, the positioning and size of the fixtures look like they were all blindly picked.

Well I wouldn’t go as far as “blindly” picked but it does lack a certain bit of refinement, especially compared to what we’ve been seeing prior. Fixture placement is a rather messy and there are a lot of mismatched lines.

My biggest problem is that the Ardrome doesn’t look like the same car front to rear. I think its because the rear looks so much like a late 1990s Porsche 911 that I expect the front to have the dinner plate headlights and the same vent structure. And then it doesn’t :confused:.

I think the concept is good but it needs more work. Actually I think the front headlights are really good, but their sleek boxy look isn’t transferred to the other parts very well, particularly not the front vent structure which seems too rounded.

1 Like

There is a lot of nice details (the roof works especially well), but I agree that it doesn’t mesh together very well. Maybe if the taillights where unconnected and a bit smaller, they would match the shape of the headlights better. A larger, sharper angled middle grill in the front and I think you’ve got yourself a nice sports car. Oh, also the color isn’t bad, but you might want to go with something brighter or more fun for this kind of car.

So after reading the advices you gave me and a trip to Google search,
I probably have the fix/ visual rework for the Ardrome.

I know its not perfect, but I have tried.

3 Likes

Here's what we are leaking this year for the New York Auto Show. . . .

2 Likes

So, I am back to this particular topic for it original purpose, to improve car designs. But this time with the added bonus on helping on making it a better car generally.

I just feel bored thinking ahead of time that my CSR entries will instabinned everytime I enter.

Every CSR cars I entered = never gets past 1st round

I know that I shouldn’t expect a 1st - 3rd place, but I just want to better the chances of getting through the second round.
I dont think I had a succesful challenge ever. I really want to feel proud of my cars for once and not of disappointment.

My CSR 85 entry : CSR 85 - Yurimacs - Lagau M12 (002) rev.1.car (27.8 KB)

You might be thinking, “Why on earth I did you style the car like that? Are you insane or something?”.

I was thinking it would be a successor to the original M12 GT which you can see here:

As you can see here, there are a couple of design traits are carried over to the CSR car like the BIG side scoop vent, it worked on the original but not so with the newer car.

1 Like

I hate to tell you this, but the car you provided is cursed. It caused my game to crash and now it refuses to even start, which has never once happened to me before.

Go into task manager and stop the Automation process, it sometimes happens when the game crashes that the programme appears to have stopped, but the process is still running (meaning you cannot start it again).

No, I mean the game now instantly crashes to desktop when I enter the main menu.

UPDATE: Now my PC has gone through two restarts, each time seemingly getting worse. The last restart caused its screen to go blank (i.e. No signal detected). I’m scared to open steam now.

UPDATE 2: PC BSOD’d and refused to start. Rest in peace.

2 Likes

I care about your approach to the design …being someone who steps out of the doorway of what is expected …perhaps too often (just find my Retro Age Motors - Eagle series for proof). But to the point, I like the way you made this car bold but not flashy. Perhaps the grill/vent/light arrangement is pre-1999, I do not know …I do know it works for me because it is a balance of shapes and I can see in places were other types of fixtures could go if a different model was made. Lights in the lower, outer grill work for instance if a GT model were produced. Or a logo bar placed inside the middle lower grill or a license plate.
The one thing I would criticize …okay, two things …one, no external rear view mirror(s) and two, no rear license plate to complete the “street level” design. In the United States, a drivers side rear view mirror is a legal requirement as is a rear mounted license plate. Some states also require a front mounted license plate but the bracket is usually sold in those states at extra cost to the consumer …or at least they were when I was in the car business.

Great design, good ideas!

1 Like

Just looking at them I can tell you know, they dont look like they came from the era you say they’re from. If you want a quick and easy way to design cars that look era accurate, just look up pictures of cars from that era, take the designs you like the most and try to make them work together.

also
Tips and Tricks to Automation Car Design

6 Likes

This is going to be some visual feedback since I can’t import your car right now. I think you’re catching the basics of design but still need to polish a few factors, mainly proportions (headlights and taillights specially, the rest seems to be good) and detail (make the whole front and rear equally detail heavy) as well as how the fixtures flow together (keep the angles and lines in check).

Appart from that, I think you understand period correctness pretty well so you have that going for you. Here’s hoping this gave you some hints on how to improve your designs since I think you have some serious potential :smiley:

2 Likes