My attempts in making better car designs (and car ads)

There is a lot of nice details (the roof works especially well), but I agree that it doesn’t mesh together very well. Maybe if the taillights where unconnected and a bit smaller, they would match the shape of the headlights better. A larger, sharper angled middle grill in the front and I think you’ve got yourself a nice sports car. Oh, also the color isn’t bad, but you might want to go with something brighter or more fun for this kind of car.

So after reading the advices you gave me and a trip to Google search,
I probably have the fix/ visual rework for the Ardrome.

I know its not perfect, but I have tried.

3 Likes

Here's what we are leaking this year for the New York Auto Show. . . .

2 Likes

So, I am back to this particular topic for it original purpose, to improve car designs. But this time with the added bonus on helping on making it a better car generally.

I just feel bored thinking ahead of time that my CSR entries will instabinned everytime I enter.

Every CSR cars I entered = never gets past 1st round

I know that I shouldn’t expect a 1st - 3rd place, but I just want to better the chances of getting through the second round.
I dont think I had a succesful challenge ever. I really want to feel proud of my cars for once and not of disappointment.

My CSR 85 entry : CSR 85 - Yurimacs - Lagau M12 (002) rev.1.car (27.8 KB)

You might be thinking, “Why on earth I did you style the car like that? Are you insane or something?”.

I was thinking it would be a successor to the original M12 GT which you can see here:

As you can see here, there are a couple of design traits are carried over to the CSR car like the BIG side scoop vent, it worked on the original but not so with the newer car.

1 Like

I hate to tell you this, but the car you provided is cursed. It caused my game to crash and now it refuses to even start, which has never once happened to me before.

Go into task manager and stop the Automation process, it sometimes happens when the game crashes that the programme appears to have stopped, but the process is still running (meaning you cannot start it again).

No, I mean the game now instantly crashes to desktop when I enter the main menu.

UPDATE: Now my PC has gone through two restarts, each time seemingly getting worse. The last restart caused its screen to go blank (i.e. No signal detected). I’m scared to open steam now.

UPDATE 2: PC BSOD’d and refused to start. Rest in peace.

2 Likes

I care about your approach to the design …being someone who steps out of the doorway of what is expected …perhaps too often (just find my Retro Age Motors - Eagle series for proof). But to the point, I like the way you made this car bold but not flashy. Perhaps the grill/vent/light arrangement is pre-1999, I do not know …I do know it works for me because it is a balance of shapes and I can see in places were other types of fixtures could go if a different model was made. Lights in the lower, outer grill work for instance if a GT model were produced. Or a logo bar placed inside the middle lower grill or a license plate.
The one thing I would criticize …okay, two things …one, no external rear view mirror(s) and two, no rear license plate to complete the “street level” design. In the United States, a drivers side rear view mirror is a legal requirement as is a rear mounted license plate. Some states also require a front mounted license plate but the bracket is usually sold in those states at extra cost to the consumer …or at least they were when I was in the car business.

Great design, good ideas!

1 Like

Just looking at them I can tell you know, they dont look like they came from the era you say they’re from. If you want a quick and easy way to design cars that look era accurate, just look up pictures of cars from that era, take the designs you like the most and try to make them work together.

also
Tips and Tricks to Automation Car Design

6 Likes

This is going to be some visual feedback since I can’t import your car right now. I think you’re catching the basics of design but still need to polish a few factors, mainly proportions (headlights and taillights specially, the rest seems to be good) and detail (make the whole front and rear equally detail heavy) as well as how the fixtures flow together (keep the angles and lines in check).

Appart from that, I think you understand period correctness pretty well so you have that going for you. Here’s hoping this gave you some hints on how to improve your designs since I think you have some serious potential :smiley:

2 Likes

I took a look out of curiosity and while it isn’t too bad stats-wise, this car just didn’t have the right approach for this csr round which is why it was binned quickly imo. This body is a small sports car while the people were looking at mostly luxury sedans and SUVs. Using the Aston Martin body is already on the small side for this round and it doesn’t matter how luxurious it is if the passengers are cramped.

Looking at the stats, comfort, reliability, and safety are a kinda low but drivability, fuel eco, and price are good. Using the engine and body you did seems like an uphill battle from the start but it looks like you put in a lot of effort to make it work.

The engine is an odd choice. A 6L V12 is very luxurious, but kinda crazy to stuff into something this small. Its like a mini Viper :stuck_out_tongue: . Direct Acting OHC is outdated by 2007, and you should use forged/lightweight forged internals for a higher performance engine like this. Generally you should only use titanium and billet if you have to. You tuned for fuel eco with a very low cam profile and used 91 RON instead of 95 RON for CSR. If you want good fuel economy, smaller engines are the way to go. 25.7 mpg is more than you need anyway. When you use AWD, its usually best to try and use the same tire widths front and back to save a lot of material and service costs. Brakes are expensive, just use what you need.

Design wise, you put more effort into this than many who got binned from the looks of it. Its good you are laying out shapes with vents to help build up lights and you are making use of layering. I agree with Mr. Computah and I think the main issue is that the shapes of many of the fixtures don’t flow well together and is out of proportion.

For example, you have very boxy lights pushed up against a very rounded grill.

Capture

Also keep an eye on proportions. In ^ this case, the headlight could be a bit smaller to line up with the width of the vent below and moved up a little to line up with the top of the grill.

Following the lines of the body help make a cohesive design too. Here you want to keep the taillights off of the bumper to keep it from bending in weird ways and looking pasted on. Also it looks sad compared to the front. Don’t be afraid to use similar light shapes for both the front and back to tie the two together.

Capture
Also proportion wise, those exhausts are huge.

I see you wanted more of fastback shape with the cabin, but unfortunately morphs are limited in what they can do. I would just use the fastback body variant here.
Capture

Last thing, I’d stick a badge or brand name somewhere. Doesn’t have to stand out or anything but its like an artist signature. It lets people know what it is and who built it :wink:

I messed around with the design for a bit and this is what I came up with for the front and the side. I tried to stay somewhat close to the original idea with the big side vent and lower fascia. This is by no means perfect or the only way to do it, but it may help you get some ideas.

10 Likes

I thought he made remastered TVR Cerbera.

I’m just looking at your car now.

First impressions: ‘‘what on earth…’’

Okay, so you have some interesting use of fixtures going. It’s not necessarily bad - you can stack fixtures and you get how the layering works etc. I think the problem you have is that they all feel ‘‘slapped’’ together - they don’t mesh well with each other and blend in. If you overlap your fixtures more carefully, you will create a smoother and more cohesive design. Smoother = better.

Overall styling, in my opinion, is more 97 than 07. It has the headlights and taillights of a modern car, but everything else feels dated. Weird body morphing around the roof line, side vent is a cool idea but a little heavy handed. Fuel filler cap - what happened there?! In order to fill this car up with petrol, one would have to lay down on the floor. A bit… eccentric.

Wheel choice is 1970s. 2007 cars would have also had colored mirror covers.

These are all little nitpicks though, the car definitely has some style - it’s just a little bit all over the place. Your main issue is being careful enough when placing fixtures. Make sure to use the ‘‘lock’’ feature - this is invaluable when dealing with multiple layers at a time as it will stop you from grabbing the wrong thing. It’s a good habit to get into.

Things you missed:

• (exhaust pipes didn’t show up for me as a mod :S)
  • no rear wipers
  • no antenna
  • no number plates
  • no side repeaters/indicators
  • parking sensors?
  • boot lid handle or some way to open the boot?
  • 3rd brake light?
  • you could add some badges, cars name on the back etc.

Technical aspects:
Your brakes are wayyyy OTT. The flat line represents your braking power and the curve is your grip - you want the flat to be a little above the curve from what I found. A little too much braking at the back too - there was a warning about it. You could do with far less brakes for the same performance.
I added +1 to most sliders, changed suspension setting to be a bit stiffer, larger diameter wheels but narrower tyres, retuned the engine for 95 octane - it’s slightly more efficient and marginally less powerful - adjusted gearing - 0-60 in 4.8s now with less power and more weight - added cooling flaps to aero etc. Little things.
You were way under budget, there was a lot more options you could have ticked to get a leg up within the boundaries of the challenge.

This is what I arrived at:

Feel free to take it apart and see how it ticks and claim it as your own. I tried to recreate your original vision. I believe that you will make some very interesting and quality designs if you just make sure your fixtures blend in better. Also, try to work WITH the shape of the car as well as individual fixtures - not against it. Once you do that, things will flow a lot better.

Remember, You are good and it shows that you try. Hope it helps :slight_smile:

CSR 85 - Yurimacs - edited by GROOV3ST3R - Lagau M12 (002) rev.1.car (29.9 KB)

(and ofc I was beaten to it :P)

@Chickenbiscuit I am curious, because I’ve seen it before but how do you get that extended window look? What fixture is it? I have used headlights to simulate trimming before but that bugs me and I want to know :3

3 Likes

I just changed the body variant to the fastback since it seemed to be what yurimacs wanted shape wise anyway. Imo a couple things you listed aren’t exactly necessary, just things to consider like the rear wipers, parking sensors, and third brake light (sometimes those are inside the window). Its good to have a couple different takes on it though.

I suppose you are right - I listed them with a ‘?’ as optional extras but didn’t clarify that. And I just realised that it’s a different body reading your post a little closer.

The biggest problem with that design, and in fact the original, is that the odd placement and size of the headlights and taillights makes the car extremely oddly proportioned. With the headlights that low, it makes the front end look low and wide in a really off-putting way. About the only way to fix that is to just start over and avoid it entirely.

I did like where he was going in his original design but I guess you are correct. Still, I hope it’s at least somewhat helpful.

Interesting design but actually headlights placed that low probably wouldn’t be legal in most markets. If you look at many wedge shaped cars with pop-up headlights, you’ll notice they are placed relatively high up on on the front bodywork, because of regulations

@goblin95 Didn’t expect the car to cause that much damage, sorry for the inconvenience.

To everyone else, I really appreciate the tips you gave me, including links to topics that might be actually useful for me in the future. All of those cars you gave me look good and wonderful.

I really feel a bit touched just you guys helping. Well, that’s what communities are for!

Well, before I started getting suggestions last night, I was building the second iteration of the CSR entry.
Set after a year of release, it gets a facelift in the middle of its production run and a couple of major changes, mainly a engine change. I decided that I may sacrifice power and a bit of overall quality for better pricing

(slightly less competitive car for only 62848$ @ 80%, I already reached the limit of PU/ET for overall trim on this one so I can’t get any further than that)

Yes, the car is less than perfect, but even I can say that the car looks twice as beautiful as the last car. There are things that I can say may look odd:

• The wheel choice and the color of it – Are there even wheels like this during this period? I kinda doubt my rim choice.
  • The general look of the car – Yes, I may have improve the design, but I think there are some bad angles that I can’t probably eliminate

Download : Lagau - M12-II.car (23.5 KB)

If anyone is kinda wondering what I am up to as of the moment, I am currently building supercar twins out of boredom. They are both retro-inspired upbringing to the modern period (The year is 2018,if anyone was wondering).

I would say this would be the ones that took the longest time to design, with an estimate of 30 mins - 1 hours on both cars on the designing process alone.

They both share some design cues, like the engine bay design and the rear fascia.
I know they are not the fastest, or even modern-looking. But it is kinda the point with these two cars.

APG-II

APII-GTR

APG-II : Lagau - APG-II.car (33.6 KB)

APII-GTR : Lagau - APII-GTR.car (29.4 KB)

8 Likes