Nardo High Speed Test Track - Updated V1.2

hi,

thanks to the the guide from der bayer i have created my first test track for automation, many thanks go out to him for the help! :slight_smile:

as i wanted something simple to start with i recreated the nardo high speed oval track.
the track is a huge 12,6 long oval track that is 4 km in diameter and with a banking in the top lane of over 12 degrees.
nardo is often featured in magazines and thus allows you to compare your cars top speed to real world competitors.

since it can take quite a while even for a fast car to achieve top speed, i’ve built it in such a way that the car does 3 full laps of the circuit.
on my tests a regular car needed around one and a half laps to get up to top speed, therefore the third split time is the actual lap time for the fastest lap.
due to rounding errors and such there might be a tiny lap time difference between second and third lap of around 0,01 of a second even if your car manages to achieve top speed within the first lap already.

i hope you like the track! :slight_smile:

EDIT: it seems that you can place the start line on a curved piece of road as well instead of only on a straight as i’ve read in the description.
thus i’ve cleaned up the track and made it a continuous curve instead of four curves with little 2m straights in between.
the revised version 1.1 can be found in the attachment. track.lua looks much cleaner now, the difference in stats is neglible however.

EDIT 2 - 23.04.2014: changed the banking from 7 degrees to 12 degrees 36 minutes.
Nardo.zip (1.44 MB)

Nice track^^ thank you

I’ve been looking for some sort of a high speed track for a while, so thanks for this :slight_smile: Having seen it on top gear, 7 degrees seems a little small for the banking, but I cant find any numbers to back this up though. It provides neutral handling at 149mph in the outer lane, so someone with a slightly less tired brain than mine might be able to work out the banking from that

Nice Job! I put my Bavarian Rallye Car to it and it achieved Max speed well before 1/4 of the way through lap 1 so i was forced to watch the rest with the sound off :smiley:

thanks guys!

i wasn’t convinced of the banking either, but i read those 7 degrees in a magazine.

anyway, i did some further research and it appears the banking is indeed more severe!
i now found some values on the official nardo website from porsche and the banking is stated to be 12°36’.
sadly i have missed those values the last time i checked their website, because that was obviously the first place i tried to look them up.

so thank you very much for making me look at it a second time! :slight_smile:
i’ll fix the banking right now and update the first post.

edit: updated :slight_smile:

I actually thought it was a bit more than that which is why I was asking about it, but I’m pretty sure that Porsche know better than me.

I hope you don’t mind, but I modified it to be a 30 degree banking, then I took all the cooling off of my car and had a little fun:

yes, I have gone right round the speedo :smiley:

crazy! :smiley:
you can take the cooling off and still drive it? great, and i just cluttered the front of a car with enormous grilles just for testing out the track…

you should test how much of a difference the banking makes. i found that changing it from 7 to 12 didn’t make too much of difference with my 900hp 397kph car.
i’m too tired now and need to get some sleep.

You can drive it on the track, but it has an MTBF of 0 so you cant really do much else with it. I can still break the speedo with the proper amount of cooling, but only by a tiny bit. I haven’t tried a comparison between 7 and 12 degrees, but the difference between 12 and 30 degrees is a lot. I also tried 45 degrees but that made no difference compared to 30 degrees so i just left it at that

I wonder what happens if you try 90?

I think it would be called a “collider” if you did that! :smiley:

Just saying, make a car that’s even faster! Heck, try to make the fastest car! :smiley:

Killrob Edit: Easy on that smiley spam…

[quote=“CCB”]Just saying, make a car that’s even faster! Heck, try to make the fastest car! :smiley:

Killrob Edit: Easy on that smiley spam…[/quote]

I did. I cant get any more power out of the engine without making the pistons explode due to the torque. If I swap to the forged pistons I can get ~400bhp more, but I have the choice of pistons exploding due to too high RPM, or the gearbox limiting my speed to ~365mph. The only way to go significantly faster would be with a different body that allowed a bigger engine, or by cheating (which I may try at some point just for a laugh)

Sorry if im stupid, but how do you install the custom map?

Download the file (you might need to unzip it), and put it in the Documents>Automation>Tracks folder.

nice, just tried this track for some super hacky top speed testing

need more gears!

I’m assuming that this was achieved with direct manipulation of the .lua files! That’s pretty much the top speed geared limit LOL.

What kind of HP did you get out of that car? :laughing:

1.75 tons of downforce at max speed :stuck_out_tongue:

Well he called it super hacky top speed testing!!!

I’m so tempted to start hacking some .lua files now… not to pass them off as legit things of course, but just to cackle like a maniac as my poor test driver is mashed into the seat with more force than an F1 car when it corners… the most lateral G I’ve pulled with a legit tune so far is 2.30g (250m test, that is), but the prior build did 2.04G around a 50m test track…

IT IS TIME TO REBUILD THE NIGHTFURY.

^^^ yup :stuck_out_tongue:

lol i didnt edit the luas actually, its easier to manipulate the quality sliders with something like cheat engine. ie, my turbo quality slider is set to 200. i did however edit the luas for the body to allow for bigger / wider wheels because…well, because!

[quote=“strop”]I’m assuming that this was achieved with direct manipulation of the .lua files! That’s pretty much the top speed geared limit LOL.

What kind of HP did you get out of that car? :laughing:[/quote]

5,306hp lol