New Age Cab Challenge

Formatting inspired by various CSRs and other Challenges

Background

Click Here

May 2021 - NYC, New York

The City Council sits at their long table discussing the typical political things, and then the topic of the NYC Taxis came up. The current lineup of Taxi is full of old dilapidated 90s Sisten GS’s, unreliable LaFettes, and other older cars that desperately need replacing, and with the recent introduction of the Mika eSport to the lineup.

The Council has decided it’d be best to spend the tax payer’s hard-earned money on a brand new lineup of taxi cabs for the city. “But what are we going to buy?” said a worried Council member. “Should we just buy whatever is popular?” said another. “No,” said the head Councilor “I have a plan” he took out his laptop. “Let’s set up a campaign to allow various automotive companies to send in their vehicles, and whichever three we choose will be our new lineup.” he exclaimed confidently. The other City Council members agreed among each other and the campaign was set up. ik, not a very good background but it basic and works

Trim Requirements and Preferences

• Trim and Model years can vary from 2018-2020 (2021 cars are accepted)

• Inline 4-3, EV (what the boxer engine is for), V6s, and certain Boxers may be considered engines (NO V10s, V12s, V8s, or V16s) The Council wants very fuel-efficient cars, and yes V6s and Boxers are traditionally not fuel-efficient but you can make them as such.

• Adv. Autos and normal Autos are strictly forced among the lineup, although DCT transmissions are allowed. They are easy to use for the cab drivers and help control the car better on bigger roads

• Maximum ET of 150

• The Taxis must have some cut technology slightly (doesn’t mean full on Basic, just no luxury, sport, handmade and to an extent premium as well) and visual components like panoramic sunroofs (as they’ll be holding advertisements and taxi signs) although LED headlights are preferred, this is to keep the price lower as they will be bought in bulk

• Vehicle must have a relatively high environmental resistance as the salted roads of NYC can cause a lot of rust over time

• minimum MPG rating of 30 US mpg or higher to keep the vehicle on the road longer and to be more efficient.

• 4-door sedans, SUVs, Wagons, large Hatchbacks, liftbacks, and MPVs are preferred - No pickups, coupes, utility vans, utes, convertibles, or super/hypercars.

• 5 full-sized seats minimum, 7 seats are allowed.

• Body unlock year must be 2005 or over - Like in abg’s CSR they shouldn’t look like rolling relics.
    s between

• Maximum cost $35,000 - since it’s going to be bought in bulk the Council wants it to be relatively cheap

• NO MEME OR 3-FIXTURE VEHICLES, meme mods will not be tolerated either.

Engine Rules & Recommendations

• Variant year must be between 2018-2020

• Engine can be fuel efficiently turbocharged or naturally aspirated

• No performance or race parts - You can most likely guess why

• Maximum loudness of 35

• Maximum engine emissions of 70

• Maximum ET of 150

• No V8s, V10s, V12s, V16s, or I5-6s and a maximum of 4 valves per cylinder

• 91, 95 or 98 RON accepted

• 3-way or high flow 3-way converters only

Major Priorities (in decreasing order of importance) :star::star::star::star::star:

• Reliability - The car is going to be spending the rest of its miserable days from the factory in a claustrophobic, overly busy city day in and day out until it is replaced so, reliability is a very big factor to the car since it cannot break down on the street mid transport

• Practicality - Since the cabs will be picking up people from train stations, airports, and bus terminals. A large boot space to fit all the luggage is needed.

• Drivability - It’s going to be driving for a very long time, so this car needs to be controllable and able to brake well in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Moderate Priority :star::star::star::star:

• Running Costs - Since it’s expected that these vehicles won’t be the most performance-based vehicles in the world, the cost to run and service the vehicles is not as high as you would expect, but if a vehicle has expensive or hard to find parts it will be dropped from the campaign.

• Comfort - Like with Reliability and Drivability these cabs will be running for a long time sometimes overnight, so some comfy seats whether to keep the passengers comfortable or driver comfortable too will be a moderate contributing factor

• Safety - Although you’ll mostly be in the city or in bumper-to-bumper traffic, you will also still be driving on dangerous roads so a safe vehicle is required to keep the passengers safe.

Minor Priorities :star::star::star:

• Sportiness - There’s no need for a sporty car on these roads, their always busy, blocked up and it’d be too expensive to have a sporty car unless it is a dumbed-down version

• Prestige - It’s a Taxi no one cares

Tips

• Be sensible and don’t min-max kids, you’ll be binned
  • You don’t have to create an entirely new car for this challenge, you may use a heavily modified version of an already existing car whether even if its a traditionally sporty car, if you re-engineer correctly it’ll be considered
  • Saving money is good, but don’t do too far under budget, you will be binned
  • And finally, if it isn’t listed in the rules, then it isn’t a rule

Designing Tips

Click Here

Various Taxi Liveries you could do

I’ve seen Taxi Cabs with these little red reflectors (sometimes in front too) and window stickers

These rims are preferred but factory rims are allowed

Submission Guidelines

Please submit your entries with the .car file via PM on the forums using the following naming scheme:

• Model & Engine family name: NACC - your forum name

• Trim & Engine variant name: Your car’s make and model and engine’s model and variant

ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN AD (or a photo of the car)

Submissions will open Thursday, May 6th at 10:00 AM EST and will close Thursday, May 20th at 10:00 AM EST. If a vehicle is submitted beforehand then it will be insta-binned that goes with submission submitted 5 hours after closing.

Please note if there’s any feedback on things I should fix I am open to it, I am still relatively new to Taxi law so if I missed something or got something wrong please notify me.

Final note, if you end up not winning and cause drama I will take the image from CSR 94 and plaster it here, but in all, good luck, and have fun

4 Likes

Now I’m curious about CSR 94.

Back to the topic, doesn’t 25 max loudness limit N/A engines to quite strangled ones? Also, what can be considered an “EV”, and what about I5-I6 engines?

the reason I included boxer engines is because I see they are used quite a lot for EV engines, and about the I5-I6 engines, I forgot about those :sweat_smile:, and I was debating increasing maximum loudness, I just don’t know what would be quite appropriate

I personally think 28 could be good, as that way there has to be some effort towards making an N/A engine quiet, while not strangling it more than useful for efficiency.

2 Likes

Why no Inline 3 engines? They’re very common in fuel saving applications (inc. EV’s) and are great for packaging efficiency and cutting costs.

This makes no sense. Are you saying the interior should be basic and that the exterior fixtures should avoid fancy tech such as LED’s and panoramic moonroofs?

Since we cannot use twin turbo’s by choice this statement is redundant.

This is too low for non-EV applications without strangling the engine’s performance. I’d suggest raising this bar to 30 or even 35 as this is still very quiet and legislators want cars to have some noise, in order to keep blind pedestrians safe.

Also way too low when you want a car that can carry 7 adults properly. I’d suggest raising this to 200 to 250.

This seems to be oddly arbitrary. NYC would have ready access to 98RON and high tech, low emission, powertrains need all the RON overhead they can get. I’d strongly suggest allowing 98RON but using a lower RON limit as a tie-breaker between entries.

So you’re willing to accept entries with no catalyst installed? I suggest you re-write this rule to “3 way or high flow 3 way cat only” to close any loopholes.

Thank you for that feedback, I have fixed the problems you stated :grin:

But that’s engine emissions, and to get over 70 in a modern unit you’d have to built an engine that’s anything but economical. Typical results I get in efficient modern engines are in the 30-60 range, the latter ones for simple and cheap constructions.

As for the fuel, high required octane rating means higher fuel cost and possibility of filling up with too low grade fuel, which could be harmful for the engine.

Both quite reasonable requirements IMO.

Taxis also tend to have steel wheels, shod in either hard long life or medium compound tires, for cost reasons.

Submissions are now open

Sorry for the late open didn't realize how late I slept in.
3 Likes
the minimum MPG rating has been changed to 30 mpg due to difficulties on bigger bodies
4 Likes

I had the perfect car just for this…

Breckenridge Citizen Taxicab

Lore

When the city council of New York announced the search for a new yellow taxi to serve the streets of New York, the Breckenridge Motor Company immediately jumped at the opportunity. The Colorado based company was already working on a cab variant of the current Citizen, their large sedan that is doing really well in fleet sales. With the Citizen already serving the Police in some cities, expanding the line-up with a yellow cab was a no-brainer, and the CEO raised this project to the highest priority.

Some changes needed to be made, however. The Police Interceptor spec of the car had a powerful turbo V6, and had a relatively firm ride and bare interior to remain suitable for the police, but quite uncomfortable, and uneconomical for a yellow cab in traffic.

Chief Engineer, Rebecca Peters, personally gathered a team from the BMC Fleet department to work on the car, and set out the requirements for the yellow cab variant. It had to be comfortable, it had to be reliable, economical, and it had to be easy and cheap to maintain. The existing Breckenridge parts bin should be able to sufficiently cover the changes with minimal development

They began by axing the 3.5l Turbo V6, instead opting for the recently developed 2 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder EnduraBoost II A1 engine. The engine was mild in comparison to the interceptor’s V6, producing just about 155bhp when compared to the 380bhp of the v6, but, the engine was light, quiet, and most importantly, sips very, very little fuel, easily exceeding the 30MPG rating required by the council. Rebecca and the team agreed that this engine was the right choice, as NYC traffic negated the need for a lot of power, and that the car would still be fully capable in less dense traffic. A 6 speed automatic found its way in too.

The suspension components were revised too, for a much smoother, softer ride. The interior saw some improvements over the police variant. More comfortable seats, even for the driver, and more entertainment features too, like high quality speakers for great audio.

Development finished in just a few months, and there were a handful of them ready to be presented to the City Council for consideration…

6 Likes

I’m a bit confused on one aspect, are DCTs allowed or not? The OP said “although DCT transmissions are not allowed”, so I wasn’t sure if the “not” was a typo.

Oh my, so sorry, it was a typo. Thank you for pointing it out!

2 Likes

2018 Mara Kavaler Droshky Spetsialny

Your efficient solution for reliable passenger rides

We proudly present our Kavaler 2018 taxi special edition for your consideration. Generous passenger and boot space, high reliability, and low purchasing, service and fuel costs will allow you to run an effective and efficient taxi service.

The Kavaler in service waiting for passengers in front of the Lenagrad train station.

With the all-new Efektyv 2.0 I4 engine, this version of the 3rd generation Kavaler sedan even meets the standards of your initial brief of 40mpg, and thus will contribute to your sustainability efforts as well. It runs on Regular fuel, so it saves cost as well as the environment.

The driver can enjoy the comforts of an advanced automatic gearbox and, new for the 2018 version, electronic stability control. Based on our 50-year experience of supplying taxi fleets in our home country, the interior is engineered with rugged passenger seating that is durable as well as quick and easy to clean. The traditional front engine RWD layout will contribute to equal tyre wear at the front and rear and thus reduce the need to swap tyres around.

In early 2019, we were awarded a five-year contract for the Lenagrad taxi fleet (see picture above), so we invite you to contact their council about their experiences with the Kavaler in service.

We are looking forward to entering negotiations with you!

2 Likes

Could you send me the workshop link? I don’t know where to find them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1896274038&searchtext=

Community Rims Pack 3

yellow
JVC manta
a higher end taxi for nyc

2 Likes

3 Likes

5 DAYS LEFT TO SEND IN ENTRIES

ALSO A REMINDER TO SOME WHO SEND IN AN AD BUT NOT THE FILE YOU MUST SEND THE FILE VIA PM ON THE FORUMS

taxicar

Oh look, it has a stock variant too.

6 Likes