New chassis option suggestion

Hello, I would like to suggest something that I believe to be “simple enough” I’m not suggesting that any programming stuff is easy at all but what I wanna suggest shouldn’t be too hard.

I wish there was an option for a Ladder chassis with no arches on it, I’m not saying to remove the arches on the existing ladder chassis, but to make a duplicate of the existing one, without the arches.

The existing chassis is good for most cars since it fills the inside of the wheel arches but there is a lot of possible car shapes that modders would love to create that can’t be done because the arches poke through the body, having a “Ladder - archless” option next to the normal ladder chassis would solve this. A flat chassis like that would be a very versatile option for modders.

also, it shouldn’t be an extremely hard and time consuming thing to do. I don’t know exactly how hard it would be but copying the existing ladder chassis, then removing the arches, but keeping the rest of the mesh unchanged and using the same calculation ingame is probably reasonable right? It probably harder then “copy/paste” but i’m not asking for a brand new complex feature…

(Anyway, This is my friendly suggestion to make the game even more versatile, I know it’s not the most important thing to add to the game, it’s just a suggestion. I can take no for an answer, i’m not here to cause drama)

1 Like

Probally a better way would be to “just” switch the model to archless when MacPherson is not selected.

4 Likes

yeah or that, which ever is the easiest and fastest solution!

A word of advice: Don’t try to qualify your suggestions with “should be easy”. First off, every long time regular and/or person with software engineering/game experience is going to come out of the woodwork to tell you why you are wrong; it reeks of amateur conjecture which you even admit to.

Speaking of which, ask me if I am software engineer :stuck_out_tongue: .

Secondly, its usually a thin facade for “This is a nitpick and I can’t sell this idea any better.” The merit of an idea should be immediately self-evident upon knowing the specifics.

I am struggling to understand how this is the case since you would likely only be using a ladder chassis on pre-1970s cars. If you’re using it on cars past that, they are almost definitely land yachts, for which that should be no issue, or for vans, trucks, and SUVs, for which that is definitely not an issue.

3 Likes

Any friday for any developer when the client wants to make a tiny change on their product/project…

I think it would be a neat feature, but pretty much the car designer is finished (other than the future forced induction revamp) and the devs are mostly focusing in developing campaing mode features. Besides, if the stats and calcs remain the same there is not much point as it won’t add any difference to the gameplay (which is again, the main focus of the devs).

3 Likes

I am terribly sorry if I seemed impolite in any way, that wasn’t what I was going for at all, I might have expressed myself incorrectly:

Many people (not here specifically but in any forum I ever went on) have to deal with people who ask for unreasonable things (ex: demanding for a complete revemp of the entire game just to give an option for turbine engines which no one would ever use expect maybe for the guy that suggested it) And I was scared that people might look at the beggining of my text and instantly skip so I wanted to make it clear from the start that I wasn’t asking to redo the whole game from the ground up.

I know that programming is about the most complexe thing that exist and that even the smallest detail is unfairly hard for it’s maker. That is the point I was trying to make, when I said “simple enough” I meant it relatively to other suggestions which would be ignored.

as for the cars that would need this change: panoz roadster/ plymouth prowler/ catheram and the like have a gap where the body dip down between the fender and the body, which is aslo the case for some track day car and grand prix cars and a bunch of luxury cars from the 40’s which also have the front grill too far back with no overhang, cars like the smart have little to no front overhang after the front wheels.

What I wish for is an option that works for a car body that isn’t exactly in an expected shape to still work without having to rely on glued aluminium, which only becomes available in the years 2000 and is not possible to mass produce (it doesn’t make sense to make a classic mercedes of the 40’s come out in 2000 or a smart in limited production)

It’s an artistic improvement for cars that can’t yet be made because of the way the chassis is, the fact that the calc don’t change makes it more reasonable because it’s less work (even it it would be hard to do because it involves programming and there litterally is nothing simple in that world ever.)

and i’m not asking for it to be the next main focus, i’m just suggesting it because I would like it, I’m not expecting it to be tomorrow, if ever, after all that is a suggestion, not a demand.

It’s ok we’re not thinking you’re demanding it, we’re just pointing out that even that small change will requiere extra work from the 3d artists instead of for example designing new carbodies. Then the hassle to add it in game, doing some extra code, testing it (which includes probably some days of bug fixing if any) and a lot of work when in reality, it won’t change any stat or gameplay mechanic. If you read through the forum and LDU videos, you will see that almost everything they implement (except the beamng exporter) has to have some kind of compromise, for example, more stiffness but costs more, less weight for more engineering time, the devs won’t add some extra chassis config if it doesn’t add something the the game mechanics, or the Campaign mode, which is the main focus of the game.
With that said, pretty much the car designer we see is almost done (that again, has been states before…)they will probably rebalancd some stuff in the future, but the devs havs stated that for the moment they’re only focus in the Campaign mode (and to some extend some fun stuff with beamng).

Now, with all that out of the way, we never thought we could drive or export our cars 'till one day the devs surprised us…

1 Like

i’m gonna had small classic off-roaders to my list of cars with very little overhang, someone is trying to make a jeep willys and has the arches poking in the front

I know they are focusing on more important stuff and that they would not do it until they are done with all important gameplay feature and mecanic that they need, that is, if they even consider it at all ( Which I previously stated) But I can still suggest it now, for later. That leaves everyone time to think.

(also, after speeking with a modder that knows coding and after playing the game, I was lead to beleive that the arches are already a seperate mesh, that is why they don’t appear in the front until you select a front suspention. THAT MAY BE WRONG, IN WHICH CASE IGNORE THIS, I AM NOT TRYING TO ACT LIKE I KNOW THIS STUFF, but in the eventuality that it is the case then this would take a lot of time for the programmers, but the artist would possibly not need to change the model, it’s the programmers that would need tell the game not to make certain seperate mesh appear)