Perks For Automation

I found a text file I wrote on my computer… something I thought of back before Automation had the engineer system implemented, but never posted. I don’t know how viable the concept is now… but maybe someone will get a laugh out of it at least.

Have perks for Automation. Nearly every modern game lets you have a perk to reload faster or sprint for a longer distance. A car company could have small multipliers for an attribute such as reliability or sales as perks. To prevent this being just another quality slider; I recommend that the perks have negative effects as well.

I’m a bit torn on this idea because on one hand it does seem a little out of place… but on the other hand it is actually somewhat realistic. Automotive companies do indeed have some tendancies that set them apart, or a general build concept if you can call it that. I guess the deciding factor should be the “feel” of the game. Perks would give the game a bit of a personal touch and make it more “fun”. Some could add a little comedic factor as well; which is currently lacking, save for how large we can morph exhaust pipes and some of the senario descriptions. The question is… does Automation need that? Thus far everything has been mostly serious business.

The idea is that you can select a single perk that is permanently active for your entire car company.
Some perks could be as follows;

Prestige - You define “high-class” Effect: Greater prestige and value retention, increased service costs as people have a tendancy to key your cars.

Mountain Goat - You’ve lived your life in a place without roads, so you’ve learned how to carve them yourself. Effect - Better off-road ability, increased reputation, reduced comfort rating.

Generic - Plain Jane’s the name. Effect: Reduced public desirability, increased fleet and commercial desirability.

Inexpense - When you’re done cutting corners; you’ll be left with a perfect sphere. Effect: Reduced production costs and time, reduced reliability, increased chance of recalls, reduced reputation.

Salesman - You know how to peddle it. Effect: Slightly increased sales for the first year of a vehicle’s production, reduced value retention. (Because selling the “latest and greatest” makes your previous models obsolete, now doesn’t it?)

Old School - Effect: Increased reliability, increased reputation, reduced comfort through increased NVH.

Forward Thinking - Effect: Technology unlocks one year earlier than normal for you, chance of recalls increased.

Made To Last / Test Of Time - Your engineers are fanatical in accounting for material stress and wear. Effect: Greater reliabilty, increased reputation, longer development times or technology unlocks one year later than normal for you.

Volvonium - Effect: Increased safety, reduced appeal to younger buyers.

Granny’s Ride - Increased desirability for older drivers, reduced desirability for younger drivers.

Rice - Increased desirability for younger drivers, reduced re-sale value.

Ticket Magnet - You understand what the essence of speed looks like. Effect: Increased sport rating, increased running costs. (Because the police hate your cars)

Mechanic’s Nightmare - You can fit a square peg into a round hole. Effect: Slightly increased passenger, cargo, and engine bay capacity. Increased service costs, and mechanics damn your name for all eternity.

Ugly Duckling - You employ the best enginneers ever born… but your designer is blind. Effect: Slightly increased base stats, reduced public desirability.

Flower Power - You like turtles. Effect: Slightly reduced emissions, reduced sport rating and driver satisfaction.

Comfort - You have discovered the 5th pillar of luxury. Effect: Increased comfort, reduced sport rating.

13 Likes

I like the idea in principle, but its worth noting that some of these features are side effects of the Tech pool system already in one form or another.

Some role-playing elements, quite nice in principle, but as you point out yourself this does not really fit the game. That is because one of Automation’s main design principles is that only objective design choices matter and affect the virtual buyers. If to many aspects of the mechanical design are affected by “magic” modifiers, it takes weight out of those challenging design decisions you have to make (because magic has determined you build stuff in a certain way anyway, to a small extent). That goes against this core design philosophy and IMO makes for worse gameplay with more charm. :slight_smile:

It is down to taste what you value more, of course. Considering Automation’s strengths I doubt it would be good going down the more charm route though. Cheers!

2 Likes

how about affecting the administration or demographic size instead of the car stats, just like the Backstory system in Motorsport Manager, which retains the role-playing elements, while not using “magic” modifiers on car stats:

Former Engineer: Bonus engineers’ morale once the employment contract is signed (if there is some place to fit the engineer employment system as well as the morale system)
Former Financial Officer: Material cost go down
Former Race Driver: Bonus car Competitiveness, amount of bonus depends on the demographics (demographics for sport type car like sports, family sports,super-cars have relatively greater bonus, while other demographics don’t)

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes; you’re definitely right about the “magic modifiers”. Other than what you have mentioned; it will also make directly comparing two cars from two different manufacturers a nightmare because of hidden stats. Hidden stats are never a good thing; so perks should never affect a vehicle directly.

I suppose perks could affect areas other than the cars themselves, like @heiiosakana suggeted… but it again gets into hidden stats territory, and not affecting the cars directly at all greatly limits the amount and creativity of the perks themselves… making them not worth the effort if they will only affect things like re-sale value and desirability for certain demographics.

So I’ll retract this concept. I think it’s cute, but not right for Automation. :slight_smile: