Re-skinning a badge?

I’ve looked up all a bunch of previous threads but I didn’t quite find anything exactly relating to this. I wanted some help and or advice on if it and how easy it would be possible to either modify an existing badge design with a rounded or oval shape to skin it with my Maesima logo.

Otherwise, I’m thinking it might be possible to creation one from scratch using that same method but I don’t really have very much experience in that area of 3d design. But the way I am thinking of doing it I feel it shouldn’t as difficult if the badge is mostly just an oval shape with a skinned texture of the logo design and shiny look. As seen with most modern Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Kia badges in place of an actual 3d sculpted shape this should theoretically reduce the work to just skinning a flat design.

Unless someone is feeling very generous about making a logo :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is my design with a transparent background.

Here is my design with a black background.

Here is my design with a larger black background.

Here is the trend of modern badges and the effect I’m talking about

To make any mod right now you have to have an old version of 3ds max that doesn’t often work with modern windows10 systems. A lot of people are suggesting people wait to try and make their own stuff until the Unreal version of the game comes out around Q1 2017. if you want someone to make you a badge it is better to contact someone through DM because most don’t want people to know they are willing to take time to make people badges (I do not model, don’t ask me).

Thanks for the info! Do you know which version of 3ds max exactly do you need or just before a certain date?

I’d like to do it myself since it seems like it might just be within my reach but I don’t have too much experience with the 3d part hence my preference on just skinning an oval shape since.

I’ve done some similar stuff for other older games and I’m really hoping it isn’t too much more of a leap over to automation. :slight_smile:

you need 3ds Max 2013 and a specific exporter tool that I cant remember the name of. If you do a quick search I bet you’ll find the name and probably a link to get it. If you are going to do it yourself try and follow the tutorials that are in the modding forum. Cheers and good luck.

1 Like

Search Automation SDK in steam and you should get everything you need, minus 3DS.
After you downloaded it, right click it and go to browse local files. There you fill find the exporter tool, pds files and other stuff you might find useful.

Don’t forget to check TR8R guide for making badges, is a few posts down in this subforum.

1 Like