Retro car company not viable?

The game currently gives a percentage penalty to desirability for older design templates, so presumably this means a company like Morgan cannot exist in the game (leaving aside that designs start in 1940). Is there any chance of adding the ability to ‘modernise’ a car design so that the shape remains the same but there is no desirability penalty? Or maybe retro marketing that counteracts the penalty?

Edit: This also affects the possibility of keeping a similar if not specifically retro design over multiple generations, as in the case of the Porsche 911 for example.

I think the only viable way is to appeal to modders to make modern retro designs. Like the 00s muscle car.

1 Like

I’m fairly certain the retro thing is a niche market, the 911 retains design cues but it’s a far cry from it’s origins. Like, how many Morgans are really produced annually? That being said, we could just add a new tab to markets section for people that like retro.

I’ve asked the devs about retro cars before, and the answers is that it’s based on the aesthetics rather than mechanical features. Aesthetics play no part in how cars perform in the game, so retro designs won’t really change anything. Companies like Morgan do use modern engine designs (they are needed to pass regulations) as well as new safety features. Their truly retro cars using a partially wooden frame and such just can’t be simulated due to how technology advances in the game. A luxury interior for the 1940s has much different features than a luxury interior for the 2010s.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but retro bodies are planned for the game as an aesthetic choice, and I’ve got a series of retro bodies I plan on making at some point. Something much more retro than my pony car body.

2 Likes

Damn right

Sorry, I had to…:grin:
2009 body!!!

1 Like