Safety and desirability penalties of old bodies?

I understand why they are there, and of course a 60s land yacht would be far less safe and wouldn’t sell in today’s market. But it’s really annoying when we have cars which would totally fit today getting hit with penalties. For example, the McLaren bodies should be totally desirable, today and through 2020. And the minivan body is still the closest thing we have to a modern minivan, but it gets hit with a safety penalty that tanks its intended market (family). This is frankly very unrealistic, you basically cannot compete with a minivan in the family market in 2016.

A simple solution would be to have an option to disable the penalties, in sandbox mode and maybe a difficulty option in campaign. But a more realistic solution would be to individually adjust the length of time that a body remains ‘new’, depending on the era and how many bodies are available. The minivan might get 30 years, while a 60s land yacht would get only 10. Several sports cars should also get longer lifetimes, such as the Miata, S2000, and Corvette bodies. This is not necessarily because a NA Miata would sell today, but because we lack modern lightweight sports car bodies.

1 Like

More bodies will eventually appear that will fill the gaps you mention.
Also, I believe the current age penalty system is not set in stone and may be amended in the future.

I really hope so, because many of the bodies are universal enough to be used in more than one generation - they shouldn’t get old as quickly as car models based on them do.