Simple Tutorial for Automation Track Editor + Suzuka Circuit

Working on Road Atlanta right now. Probably because I live here. haha

I am planning to make all of the US GP tracks, and some of the smaller unknown US road tracks too.

Have you ever driven there?

Naw. I’ve never owned a car worthy of a real track. I did Tail of the Dragon though! :wink:

Mr. knowledge? Really? Way too much honour haha! There is people here that know much more than I do, especially about cars and engines.

The Kid? I’m not THAT young…

Fine, I should leave that to Cooper Jr.

Great right up
Side question
Cobalt SS TC OR SS SC?

[quote=“Jakgoe”]

Fine, I should leave that to Cooper Jr.[/quote]

Heya! That’s me, Kid Kooper! In terms of car stuff, all I’m master of is MSD Ignition tuning I did for the Mustang :laughing:
Perhaps oil changes too; being the kid, I do them for all of my extended Irish family.

In reality my nickname is actually Mini Cooper, with my father being Cooper :smiley:

In terms of the track editor, I would give this a shot, but you guys make such amazing tracks that I don’t see a reason to! Thanks to the maker, though, for this will make it much more enjoyable in game to have some tracks to throw my cars around. I wonder if there is a way to make this work with a generator?

[quote=“USDMFTW”]Great right up
Side question
Cobalt SS TC OR SS SC?[/quote]

Neither. 2.2L N/A

[size=50]But there is a supercharger kit sitting in my living room right now[/size]

Great tutorial! I love this track editor, it’s really easy to use, great job! :slight_smile:
what scale does the picture of the track have to be so that the car follows the line of the track perfectly in the simulator? 640x480 or 1280x720?

It’s 1280x720

Maybe both you and ElSaico should include background image size in your posts. Also, it probably wouldn’t be too hard to include that in the editor.

Duly noted. An observation was added to the “Load background” button.

It has been specified in the OP tutorial now. :wink:

Soo i need some help :frowning:

I have this .PNG map which i opened in ATE and i traced. But from here i get these 2 problems:

1. How do i know that my end of the track is on the same point (X;Y) as my start so i get a circuit track
  2. Even without knowing this i exported it, placed it in the folder, but when i start the game, open the track and hit START i don’t get an animation of the car. It loads and then gives me result? Why is this? The test track on the first post has animation :question:

[quote=“HellBoyBG”]Soo i need some help :frowning:

I have this .PNG map which i opened in ATE and i traced. But from here i get these 2 problems:

1. How do i know that my end of the track is on the same point (X;Y) as my start so i get a circuit track
  2. Even without knowing this i exported it, placed it in the folder, but when i start the game, open the track and hit START i don’t get an animation of the car. It loads and then gives me result? Why is this? The test track on the first post has animation :question:[/quote]

I think without seeing this myself I couldn’t begin to explain what is going on in your second question. There should be animation, or an error. I’ve never seen it show a result and not have an animation, unless your finish was 1m after your start. If the LUA file has an error (missing syntax, incorrect number of items in a list, etc.), it will show an error. Perhaps post a screenshot of the editor with the track loaded, the text from the LUA file, or both?

To answer your first question, you don’t…unless you track the path in a graphing editor, which would be overkill IMO. I just eyeball them and generally come out pretty close. If you run the lap (which won’t work if what you say is happening), then restart it after it finishes, you can get a pretty good idea if you’re start and finish are in the same spot.

I made a video. Here it is: youtube.com/watch?v=qNqMaUt7REc Sorry for the poor quality, the program recorded it this way and i was in a hurry. But the main things are shown.

I’m adding the *.LUA as code and as a file. The BG is in JPEG, because the forum doesn’t allow for *.PNG upload.

The total length of the track is 1558.84 meter (both in 2D and 3D, because it’s still WIP)

[code]–You Can use 0, 1, -1 instead.
local STRAIGHT = 0
local LEFT = 1
local RIGHT = -1

Track = {
Name = “tmp_86”,
–Track Image Info
–Track Image must be 1280 x 720
–Start Position on the Image x,y from Top Left
Start = { 468, 617 },

--How many pixels per meter ( Pixels / Length )
    --Measure a long straight and then manipulate from there
    Scale = 20 / 10,
    Layout = { STRAIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT, LEFT, STRAIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT, LEFT, STRAIGHT, LEFT, STRAIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, STRAIGHT, LEFT, LEFT, RIGHT, RIGHT, STRAIGHT, RIGHT, STRAIGHT, LEFT, LEFT, LEFT, STRAIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT, STRAIGHT, LEFT, STRAIGHT, RIGHT, STRAIGHT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, STRAIGHT, LEFT, LEFT, RIGHT, STRAIGHT, RIGHT, LEFT, LEFT, STRAIGHT, STRAIGHT, },
    LayoutInfo = { 190, 90, 90, 12.5, 26, 90, 90, 19.5, 37, 21, 47, 22, 1.5, 50, 90, 16.5, 63.5, 1.5, 16, 8, 15, 78, 38.5, 15, 220, 90, 35.5, 13, 1, 14, 13, 20, 19, 90, 16, 70, 75, 90, 17.5, 38, 37, 90, 3, 20, 20, },
    CornerRadius = { 0, 12, 11, 1, 0, 12, 19, 1, 0, 182, 0, 144, 1, 0, 17, 71, 24, 10, 0, 10, 0, 22, 41, 1, 0, 10, 10, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 80, 40, 1, 0, 69, 56, 10, 0, 97, 39, 100, 0, 0, },
    Slope = { 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, },
    Sportiness = { 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, },
    Camber = { 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, },
    Split1 = 100,
    Split2 = 200,

}[/code]

track.lua (1.68 KB)

[quote=“07CobaltGirl”]

[quote=“HellBoyBG”]Soo i need some help :frowning:

2. Even without knowing this i exported it, placed it in the folder, but when i start the game, open the track and hit START i don’t get an animation of the car. It loads and then gives me result? Why is this? The test track on the first post has animation :question:[/quote]

I think without seeing this myself I couldn’t begin to explain what is going on in your second question. There should be animation, or an error. I’ve never seen it show a result and not have an animation, unless your finish was 1m after your start. If the LUA file has an error (missing syntax, incorrect number of items in a list, etc.), it will show an error. Perhaps post a screenshot of the editor with the track loaded, the text from the LUA file, or both?

To answer your first question, you don’t…unless you track the path in a graphing editor, which would be overkill IMO. I just eyeball them and generally come out pretty close. If you run the lap (which won’t work if what you say is happening), then restart it after it finishes, you can get a pretty good idea if you’re start and finish are in the same spot.[/quote]

Never-mind the car stats. It was just something I threw together for this test.

It does not stay on the track after the 360 loop at the beginning (I think you will need some work on your curve angles, as this isn’t a full 360 and your track LUA is actually doing more than 360 anyway), but the animation works fine for me. I did watch your video. I am unable to reproduce your issue. I even tried doing what you did in the video. I started Automation Test track and ran it to the end of the 2nd turn, then switched to Airfield Track and ran it to Wankel, and finally loaded your track and ran it completely. I don’t know why it isn’t working on your installation, but it seems to work fine on mine.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/674/Ol1Tao.jpg

FYI, if you use 3rd party hosting sites, you can upload PNG files and post them here.

I tested the car on the other tracks so you knew that everything runs fine on them. As for the first loop it’s supposed to be bridge and after the ~180 a tunnel, but i haven;t worked on that yet.
And a bit of offtopic, but i uploaded a .PNG to a 3rd party host, and posted the direct link which was something like www.abcd.com/dsflak/image.PNG and the forum said my file is invalid or something.

Use the forum or ALT forum links and you won’t have a problem. Most of my images are PNG (except for the two I just uploaded in the previous post). Some people don’t like them because they’re larger and slower to load, but it doesn’t bother me.

I spent about 15 minutes remaking this track from scratch.

track.lua (1.24 KB)

Here were my initial results, with no sectors or elevations. It goes off track during the first long sweeper, but not nearly as far. All of the tracks will require at least minimum adjustments to get them right.

Below is the original editor view.