Spa-Francorchamps Record

So, before I start I’d like to say that this isn’t anything like the airfield power lap times. I just want to host a little thing to see who can beat the record on Spa first (the record is 3:13.4 as shown in the track’s image).
To be honest, I don’t even know if it’s possible to beat the record in the current version of the game (I’m using the stable release personally) so those people using the open beta might have a better chance at winning.

The car that I’ve been using it a pure race variant of the Solstice Hypernova with a 968 horsepower 3.5L V6. I’ve gotten my time down 3:21.01 so far but that is of course subject to change, but I’m not sure how much further I’ll be able to push this car.

You don’t need to submit anything to me, I just want to see if it’s possible to break the record and if it is, who wins first. If you’re gonna attempt the record then post some details of your car and keep us updated with your progress.

(The track for those that don’t have it: Spa-Francorchamps 14 km, 1947-1978)

1 Like

Got a link to the track for those of us who don’t yet have it to get it?

Shall add it to the OP

I have no idea how the cars do in the stable build anymore, because I’m beta testing, but I didn’t think there was a big overall difference. There’s definitely a difference because of changes in certain calculations.

That said I don’t remember the cars being quite that slow that it was impossible to break 3:13. My 1000hp hypercars in beta builds quite easily do 2:40 and under, and that’s going easy on the tuning.

3:06.65 with the Storm Mamba. 1670 kg, 1875 hp, twin-turbo V12. F-AWD. Stupidly expensive, but with some factory settings tweaked, it can be sold as a hypercar.

welp, it’s evident that cars are a fair bit faster in the open beta. I’ve not downloaded the open beta yet, I’m waiting for the stable release instead.

Is that with +15 quality pretty much everywhere?

Yep. Not under the Body tab, but everywhere else (engine and trim). Expensive, as said, but it’s still sellable.

The car you are trying to beat:

1973 Matra-Simca MS 670B
3L V12, 450 bhp
open topped, 686 kg.

Oh, wait, you’re using a different version of Spa Francorchamps. Please specify the version of the track, as the modern one is a fair bit different. So ignore the times I mentioned.

Edit: LOL no wonder they changed the track, something like this now would turn into a meteor shower if you had a race on it with modern cars. My can-be-sold-as-is hypercar prototype Lilith, nerfed to 1001bhp and open beta stats (the aero hasn’t been fixed yet so it’s 20km/h slower), averages 340km/h between Bruenville and Blanchimont. And gets a comfortable 3:11 on sports tyres.

By the way @Riso was Eau Rouge really that sharp back then? I know for sure it underwent a lot of changes in recent decades but I didn’t know if it was the curve itself or just the runoff due to the number of drivers that died crashing into the barriers.

The track might not be completely accurate but it should keep the feel.

Regarding Raidillon on the Eau Rouge, it used to be one of the most dangerous corners in the world. They made some changes like adding a chicane and more run-off in 1994 as a reaction to Ratzenberger and Sennas deaths etc…

I think Jackie Stewart said Masta Kink is the most dangerous passage of all tracks he drove on, even worse than anything on the Nurburgring. It is extremely high speed and if you fly off you don’t know where you land.

Most of the track is actually public roads and it being Belgium, means of lousy quality.
It’s absolutely a top speed track and if you were to run it in Brobot you’d see a lot of crashes.

My run was on sports tires as well. Not a big fan of the slicks.

And if the aero’s not yet fixed and there’s a chance of this monster getting any faster, I’m honestly worried.

What I want to know is how that Matra-Simca was so damn fast for what it was. Musta had a really low drag profile.

Here we go, Eau Rouge through the ages: https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/features/2015/8/the-best-corner-in-f1-racing----a-pictorial-history-of-eau-rouge.html

Definitely wouldn’t be wanting to go flat out through there when there was ZERO runoff and just armco and some tyres!!!