Hard Rooster's Vanilla Fixtures Thread

Got a few more things…

Some shallow cut moldings;

Hood scoops;

Some Wing options;

Variation on headlamps from the previous package;

I’ve been asked by the Pipe Gods to make more modern headlamps, so I’ll take the ideas I’ve seen sprinkled through the thread here and make them. Please help me out also by finding more modern headlights you’d like to see.

@Chickenbiscuit: I could use some input on what more you’d like to see from your request, in addition to what I’ve done so far with the molding bits.

@Mikonp7: I may make some more wings, but there is a chance the way they’re implemented onto vehicles may change, so I’m putting any further wings on hold until any changes are…or are not…made.

17 Likes

Seeing those wings makes me wonder if there’s any way we could get rear window louvers that stick on either above or below (or on the sides of) the window and round out that classic mid-70’s look.

2 Likes

It MIGHT be possible, if the mesh connected to either side of the body beside the window, but it would be extremely fiddly and difficult to actually place it on the car.

2 Likes

These look great! Would it be possible to make some deeper versions with less of a lip along the outside (preferably no lip at all but that might cause tearing)?

boss%20hogg%20cadi
Horns

green%20hornet

machine guns, rockets, harpoons (lol), jerry cans

moon%20tank
Moon style fuel tanks

Lalique style hood ornaments. Bonus points if they light up with the headlamps.

Thanks for all the great mods so far!

1 Like

As far as modern headlights go, here are a few that would be great in-game:

Angular LEDs (Audi A7)

Thor’s Hammer (Volvo S90 T6)

Sharp sweep (Cadillac CTS)

Agressive circles (BMW M4)

Recessed squares (Bugatti Chiron)

9 Likes

To be fair, with all those modern headlights, I’m wondering if it’s possible to make something modular?

Like, different empty shells made of glass and a hollow, deep inside, and then some LED bits that would fit inside?

8 Likes

Amazing idea! The definitive headlight!

My initial thought is…no…but…Maybe if I can play tricks on the skinned meshes for headlights like I do with the license plates and wings…perhaps something might work. I’ll throw together a proof-of-concept on Friday and test it out.

Honestly though, I don’t think the devs will go for it because it’ll require an instruction manual to figure out.

IE:

Step one, Choose the shape of the reflector housing/bezel you wish to use and place it. Take note of which glass lens fits over this housing as you’ll need it for the last step.

Step two: Choose your headlamp components and insert them into the housing. (These would be the skinned meshes, you would not be able to use them at all without the housings)

Step three: Once you’ve designed your headlamp, place the lens you set aside in step one over the reflector housing/bezel

Why the lens you ask? Because, if I made you a reflector housing/bezel w/glass, and you place a component inside…and it was behind the glass, you would lose the ability to manipulate it once placed.

So as you can see, for the casual gamer who doesn’t have access to a tutorial, I doubt this idea is going to work. But I like it anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

That’s been proposed to the devs, it’s hardly a new idea. The issue is how janky the inner parts will look for the most part (being so sunken into a hole in the body unless placed inside a casing) so it’s not something they’re wanting to do at this point.

Hmmm, surely sounds too complex for vanilla stuff, but I think it could work as a mod. In the end game mechanic changing mods are sometimes pretty popular.

To hell with waiting until Friday. It only took me about 15 minutes to just hack apart an existing light of mine and build something that works as a concept. It’s very rough around the edges, and is a little fiddly, especially the lens, but it can be done.

Step One: Place the bezel:

Step Two: Put your junk inside:

Step Three: Put this crappy lens on;

You’ll notice some squareish kinda rings…square halos if you will. Those are faces with the normals reversed. I tried to just use vertices alone but it didn’t work. Apparently UE4 wants you to have faces. Those could be converted into anything, like tiny dots…you’d barely notice them, but they’ll always be there.

They could also be better obscured if the lens was in a better location than it is. It could sit out a tad further, maybe bulge a bit and it would better hide the flipped normals.

So, does it work? Kinda.

Are the devs gonna be interested? I wouldn’t count on it.

12 Likes

Sorry to hijack your thread HardRooster, but I feel this needs to be said and I’m probably repeating myself on the second part.

1. Modders are not your personal slaves. Just because they say they are open for suggestions doesn’t mean you can come here and spam suggestions and get pissy if you don’t get your biscuit. Not saying anyone has done or is doing that, but be considerate. They have lives and are doing this in their spare time.
  2. Be aware that if modern headlights are made into a dedicated fixture, it will look like the original car you took it from, and it will be challenging to make your car look unique. It helps to play around with unique ways of combining fixtures. A lot of people are suggesting this so I just wanted to share this excellent tutorial with you people:

edited to read more like a normal persons post

6 Likes

Let’s keep it polite and courteous in here please, kindness never hurt anyone.

8 Likes

On a more upbeat note, the next roof full of goodies is all set.

15 Likes

Hi, @HardRooster I have a couple of requests/suggestions although I know you said you wont be creating more spoilers due to game changes I will throw them in my suggestions anyhow. I also just want to add a thank you for creating this post to include the wider community in the creation of the fixtures that you make, I believe that I speak for others when I say that you are awesome and deserve some recognition for what you do. Thank you you’re awesome, and a true example of a great community member and deserve a lot of praise for your contribution to this game and its community.

Some O.Z Wheels off the evo 4

Summary

index|97x134.5

'80/'90 RS cosworth parts

Summary

Front Vent + headlights

car_photo_305997%20(2)

Wing+exhaust

s-l300%2012
s-l300
Hood Vents

Nissan GTi-R hood scoop

Summary

6 Likes

“aftermarket projector retrofits”
They can be scaled down to be LEDs

2 Likes

2016 Dacia Logan and Sandero stoplights

2016 Dacia Logan headlight

2018 Dacia Duster stoplight

4 Likes

Minimalist LED light shapes like the Honda Urban EV but also other variations of it.

8 Likes

Why not just have 2 variants, one with just a contour of the “cover”, then you can easily select fixtures inside, and when you’re done - just change the cover’s variant to have glass and the space behind.

9 Likes