The Beginning of Peace

Lored S399

Even with two less cylinders compared to a V8,
It still packs a punch!

1 Like

Entries are now closed!

I will be streaming the results tomorrow, I should also be able to write up some results tomorrow

5 Likes

Results

VoD Archive

Please don’t get salty

Initial Reviews

These will be done in the order that they were reviewed, this is not a scoring order.

Wednesday 25th May 1960

Refresh from retiring just over a month ago Quentin and Audrey are settling into there new house just outside of Nice they come to release that there old Jaguar XK120 isn’t going to be the car from them and they need to look at something new. Therefore they decided to head to the Azure Exotics car festival, although Audrey has never been overly into automobiles she wants to see what the latest fashions are.

As they enter the festival they head towards the family cars knowing that there grandchildren would come to visit soon and a 2 seater sports car wouldn’t work for them.

@abg7 - Linden LK3 Touring

The first car they approached was the Linden LK3. As they look as the information about the car they are satisfied that it would be suitable for there lifestyle.

“Darling, it looks a little unfinished, are they ready for us?” asks Audrey. As Quentin heads around to the front of the car Quentin starts to question it to and they move on.

@Knightophonix - FAAL Foreia 233L

They head to the next car, the salesman approaches them “This is the most comfortable car that there is here today”. They carry on looking at the car in interest, when Quentin looks at the performance he is taken aback, over 11 seconds 0-100kph, I don’t know if I could cope with that!"

Quentin mentions to Audrey that it might be one to take a bit more of a look at if they want to a more comfortable automobile.

@TheAlmightyTwingo - Mijer Flevo GT-V

As they are looking at the information on the next car Quentin notices the top speed, “130mph, that will impress at the golf club”. Audrey looks inside and turns here nose up a little “this looks much more basic than our Jaguar, we are spending $15,000 and we get a stereo from a Ford, what a shame”

@HighOctaneLove - Bogliq Torc S

Both Audrey and Quentin see the next car “what a nice looking thing, shame that it is in beige though. It could have been amazing”. As they start looking at the information pack they quickly leave. “A car that can’t do 100mph and takes well over 12 seconds to get to 100kph isn’t for us!”

@VicVictory - Darvin Lion Royal

“WOW, what a beautiful colour!” “And those side lines, they are beautiful!”

Quentin takes a note that he wants to take this out on a test drive.

@zschmeez - Albratross City 250

Quentin and Audrey approach the next car in a little bit of shock, they didn’t expect to see something that looked so close to a mini here. It certainly wasn’t quick what they were looking for but they gave it the benefit of the doubt and had a further look.

With it lacking power steering and a worse safety than better suited rivals they discarded it.

@electroGG - SW Okta

As they approach the Okta they are a little perplexed by the front but pass it off as one of those “hippie youth designs”. The performance and safety, whilst not outstanding were well above the average of the cars they have been looking at.

They make a note to come back for a test drive.

@racer126 - Lored S399

“Once again we have come across a real beauty, Audrey can we come back so I can have a test drive my dear?” Quentin blurts out. “Most certainly, it’s beautiful”

@Bmaggiori - Chroma

Unfortunately the space where the Chroma was meant to be is empty, “They must not have been able to finish it in time. What a shame” Audrey says.

The Chroma was over engineering time on trim and engine and over production units on the trim

@Navara - Hikoba 260

Quentin and Audrey are attracted by the good looks of the Hikoba, it’s certainly not a bad looking machine. They start pawing through the brochure and are not overly disappointed by what they see, whilst it’s not the fastest it would suffice. As Audrey goes to sit in the car she notices how much the body rolls.

“What a shame, I quite liked it’s looks” Audrey sighs.

@Leedar & @Fayeding_Spray - Eckle 2000B

Audrey pokes here head inside the Eckle 200B and immediate notices the lack of stereo. “This won’t do” she screams and they move on

@GassTiresandOil - Valence 2+2

Quentin looks at the Valence with glee, Audrey can already tell that he wants to take it out for a drive. “Ok my dear, you can go out in that, but please be safe”

Test Drives

@Knightophonix - FAAL Foreia 233L

As Quentin went to take a test drive around the circuit he was immediately struck by the lack of get up and go the car had, even with the short gearing it felt like the car produced no power whatsoever. This was further compounded by the disapponting top speed. Whilst it made up it in the corners and comfort it wasn’t very what they were looking for. A little bit more excitement was needed in there lives.

@VicVictory - Darvin Lion Royal

“Lets see what this beauty can do!” Quentin has a huge smile on his face as the V8 rumbles into life. As Quentin puts his foot down the car starts squirming under him, after a minute Quentin manages to get in under control. “I don’t want a car that is this difficult to drive every day, even if it has an automatic!”

@electroGG - SW Okta

As Quentin leaves the line he is pleasantly surprised by the performance, whilst it’s not the fastest thing he’s ever drive it would certainly do for for his daily driver. Whilst there was some body roll it wasn’t enough to be off putting, instead it allowed of the bumps of the track to be taken in it’s stride with very little upsetting the car.

@racer126 - Lored S399

As Quentin goes to step into the car the salesman asks him to sign a waver on his life. “No one else has asked me to do this” Question states. “The S399 can be a handful”. With that Quentin walks away.

@GassTiresandOil - Valence 2+2

Quentin jumps into the Valence as screeches away from the line, he’s impressed at how driveable the car is, allowing him to scream around the track much faster than he had before. However as he gets out if the Valence he notices how much his spine hurts. If it’s that bad after one lap how bad will it be after an hour of driving?

Winner

As Quentin arrives back to Audrey he already has made his mind up on what he wants to buy.

“I had such a wonderful time, although the Valence was amazingly quick around the track I don’t think its the car for us. The Lion Royal and S399 are just a nightmare to drive, you can barely keep them in a straight line! I think that overall the SW Okta is the best, it’s reasonably fast whilst still being superbly comfortable”

“If you think it’s the correct choice my dear, go for it” Audrey responds.

Well done to @electroGG for the win!

6 Likes

See you back in 5 years when the 234S hits the market :stuck_out_tongue:

Damn… I was pretty sure that I’ve done everthing right…
I’ll send a brochure to Quentin, maybe when Chroma is ready, Quentin can give a chance…

It’s a shame that my car didn’t make it further but it’s nice to know that it was a lot of fun to drive.

“Fast, quiet, easy to drive, comfortable, 1960.”

Yeaaah, something had to give. Lol

congrats to electroGG!

looks harder at his own entry

Yeah, should have done taller tires, 14" rims, bigger brakes, and used the 287 instead of the 333. Since the Lion was so fast, the compromise in straight line performance wouldn’t have been that big of an issue, but probably would have been a lot easier to handle.

Stereo? :man_shrugging: Seemed within era realism to have no factory radio.

Considering Cadillacs started having them standard in '57, and with the budget given, it’s pretty clear it’s a luxury-level car, it is no stretch at all to have a good radio in it.

For $15,000 it would be expected to have a radio. Whilst budget cars may not at the time luxury ones would have :slight_smile:

The PU limit certainly wasn’t luxury-level, and I wouldn’t use Cadillac as a reference in regards to the European market.

Perhaps at AMU$15,000 a radio would be expected, but the car I engineered certainly wasn’t that expensive. I’m no expert on car history, but I’ve seen on many occasions higher-end cars with no radio as standard up until about the 90s, particularly European cars with sporting aspirations. E.g. 1968 Jaguar XJ6 has no radio as standard, but does have walnut dashboard trim and leather seats.

Ultimately I don’t care, but I guess I would have judged differently.

Uhm, I got a luxury interior, premium radio, automatic trans, and a V8 in under the ET and PU limits, and still came in 10% under max budget. So I certainly don’t agree with your assessment there. And comfort was one of the top listed criteria. Going without one is a big gamble because of the hit you’d take to that score.

You have to hit a lot of negative quality slider to get that stuff in, not really befitting a luxury car. Do you mind sharing your .car, I’m curious how it scored in Automation.

Most cars used no negative sliders, or if they did it was -1

I read the rules as saying 85 PU total; did you mean for the engine and trim each?

BoP-VicVictory - Darvin Lion Royal.car (61.4 KB)

Mine I think had a single -1 slider somewhere.

Edit: Yeah, a single -1 slider on the fuel system.

Okay, it seems PUs were not limited to 85 total then, despite the most obvious interpretation, and Flamers never clarified despite it being brought up in the thread.

If you say ‘x ET for the engine’ and ‘y ET for the trim’, then simply ‘z PU’, the implication is surely that the PUs are for the whole car (i.e. engine+trim).

Sad to see my car didn’t win. Good challenge, though!