The BRC is dead... [NEW CHALLENGE DISCUSSION]

A quick teaser screenshot showing new major features:

abload.de/img/love2015-09-0919-07-2umbtu.png

Any clue for '65 BRC? may i guess 195 tires and ,25 hp/kg?

Don’t know anything yet.

Is that rain?

Yes, it looks better when it’s actually falling. :slight_smile: The last two cars in the ranking actually are on rain tyres.

Sweet! Presumably rain tyres are much better than either in hard rain, but is there an advantage to sport compound over semi-slicks?

Oh, I thought of this while I was watching the last BRC 1955 race: would it be possible to have the backgrounds of a car’s line change color as a visible indication of recent (e.g. last-five-seconds) position changes? I’m imagining something like a faint red tint for a car that has lost positions in the immediate past and a faint green tint for a car that gained positions in the immediate past. That way, when a car spins or gets in an accident, we can see whether and how many positions it loses from that - and we get immediate notifications when overtakes happen.

And unrelated to both of the above: is it possible to add non-fatal engine maladies? I could easily imagine a misfiring cylinder in one of these tiny little V8s causing a car to lose 12.5% of its total power, but not leaving it stranded.

Currently the cars are still using hard/medium/sports/semi-slick compounds, but all of those are available with intermediate and heavy rain profiles. These just fit the different weather conditions differently. This is because the basic car stats are tested with dry profile tyres and it would be a huge mess to calculate the new drivability when all rain compounds would be the same. So the rain tyre wear is the same as the dry tyre wear, too. If anybody has a better solution for this issue, please tell me.

We have the tiny arrows and numbers on the left next to the current position which show exactly that.

Yeah, possible. We’ll see if that makes it in for the next challenge. For now I have loads of bugs to fix and must adapt the calculations to the upcoming changes in the car designer. And I have to build a little tool for you for entering the competition and setting up your race strategy.

Cool! Thanks again for all the work you’ve been putting into this. :slight_smile:

[size=150]Little Dev Update - Weather, Pit Stops, Telemetry[/size]

Get a first glimpse at how the BRC has developed over the past few weeks. The newest features include weather simulation, pit stops, race strategies, tyre compounds for different weather situations, telemetry and a data check mode.

youtu.be/Is6jyQDsCUw

Very nice! That looks really cool. :slight_smile:

Questions inspired by all the shiny new features (tell me if I’m asking for anything unreasonable):
[ul]]Does the game automatically recognize when the car has enough fuel to complete the race?/:m]
]If so, can we configure how large a safety margin to take on fuel? (e.g. 10%, 5 kg, 5% + 2 kg…)/:m]
]If not: can we configure the driver to take a particular weight of fuel at a pit stop, rather than refilling to 50 kg? (This way, in a shorter sprint race, the driver could start with a full fuel load and take a faster pit stop because they have less refueling to do.)/:m]
]Related to the above: in a fuel-only pit stop, is the time spent in the box longer based on how much fuel is needed?/:m]
]Can I set up the car to take fuel before the planned pit stop if the driver is already pitting in? One way I could see doing this:
[list]
]Set up planned pit stops as pit windows./:m]
]If driver pits during the window for repairs or tyres, driver refuels./:m]
]If driver reaches the end of the window without having already refueled, the driver pits in for fuel./:m][/ul]/
:m]
]Is there a pit-lane speed limit?/:m]
]Do different cars have separate boxes?/:m]
]Now that we have a pit lane, can we have races with a pace lap and a flying start after the pace car pits in?/:m][/list:u]

…okay, those last few are a bit silly. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Oh, another one: can we have specified delays at the start - e.g. a 5-second penalty at the start for a car that exceeded the cost limit of the competition?

Yes, in training sessions the fuel consumption per lap is estimated and so the driver knows when he must pit and how much fuel he must have filled in.

Safety margins are automatically calculated depending on the fuel consumption per lap. If the fuel is not enough for 2 more laps, the driver will pit.

Cars will have a maximum fuel amount (tank size) and you can specify how often and when you want to pit. The required fuel is calculated automatically then. If you would need more fuel than fits in the tank the driver will make an unplanned pit stop.

Yes.

[quote=“Packbat”]Can I set up the car to take fuel before the planned pit stop if the driver is already pitting in? One way I could see doing this:
[ul]]Set up planned pit stops as pit windows./:m]
]If driver pits during the window for repairs or tyres, driver refuels./:m]
]If driver reaches the end of the window without having already refueled, the driver pits in for fuel./:m][/ul][/quote]

Yes, if the driver is pitting withing x% race time/laps (can be set by you) before a planned pit stop, the planned pit stop is cancelled.

Yes, currently set to 60 kph. The driver almost follows that limit (mostly driving 63), some tweaking is needed.

Yes, randomly calculated at the start of the race/weekend.

Should be possible, but I have not tried that out yet.

Possible, but it still is unfair to let a car start which is not built according to the rules. I prefer DQs.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response and the detailed answers. :smiley:

[quote=“Der Bayer”]

Possible, but it still is unfair to let a car start which is not built according to the rules. I prefer DQs.[/quote]

Sure, that’s fair. There are RL races with penalty systems like that (e.g. ChumpCar, which penalizes laps at race end), but it’s probably hard enough to balance that it’s not worthwhile to implement. :slight_smile:

Also, one more question: is the size of the fuel tanks just a fixed number, set before the race for all cars?

Currently yes, but I see that this is probably not the best solution. Maybe fuel tank size could be scaled with vehicle weight. I’m open for other ideas.

I’d actually be fine with that - fuel tank size sounds like something that might be specified within a racong class. If not, I’d probably have the players specify fuel tank size before the season starts, with perhaps some restrictions set by the event organizer.

This is looking fantastic, Martin!!! I can’t wait for the first race under the new system to see it in action!

Oh, another quick thought:

There should probably be some margin where, if the driver is coming around for the last lap of the race, they’ll stay out even if they don’t have enough fuel for 2 full laps. I know if I had 1.5 laps of fuel left I wouldn’t pit in.

Me either! runs out of fuel 10m from finish line

Hey, you had enough momentum to roll it across! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Packbat”]Oh, another quick thought:

There should probably be some margin where, if the driver is coming around for the last lap of the race, they’ll stay out even if they don’t have enough fuel for 2 full laps. I know if I had 1.5 laps of fuel left I wouldn’t pit in.[/quote]

Yeah of course, if the race is almost over nobody will go to the pits. :slight_smile:

Heh - now I’m thinking of scenarios in which I would. Like if I had an accident that holed my fuel tank and was leaking gasoline. I don’t think those will come up, though. :stuck_out_tongue: