The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

All those cars with GT-style showcases really brought back the nostalgia from 15+ years ago for me! In terms of quality the series peaked with the third installment - and unsurprisingly, the low quality of GIFs suits that game well. The field for this round is so diverse, in fact, I won’t be sure who wins it until the winner is actually declared…

WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!

but how light will your car be??

This is my Misty. It’s a kit car personally designed by a former Adenine engineer, and assembled by yours truly. Intended to carry on the legacy of the Adenine Mist after its discontinuation in 1999, the Misty was designed to be lightweight, mid-engined, and incredibly fun to drive.

Powered by a 173hp turbo 4 and weighing just 950kg, the Misty can reach 60mph in just 6.1 seconds. I even took it around the Nurburgring in 9 minutes once.

But don’t let its size and trackability fool you - this car is surprisingly practical. Between the front and rear trunks, it can swallow a remarkable 454L of cargo space. Oh yeah, and it also gets 44mpg. You’re welcome.

Competitiveness in 2001, original price ($13000):

Competitiveness in 2019, current price ($7500)

7 Likes

that’s it guys. pack up. we’re going home…
nothing to do here.

i didn’t even know that body was so practical…

Yeah it’s crazy OP for this challenge.

Which is precisely the reason why I’m deliberately not using it. Not a winning strategy, sure, but I’ve got something that’ll appeal to a certain kind of purist, let’s see if it makes an impact.

@Denta Actually AFAIK Enry wasn’t asking for a 4 seater, he was fine with a 2 seater so long as the trunk space wasn’t so small that every time he went to get groceries he would have to put most of it on the passenger seat!

Right, I don’t have any time to photoshop anything fancy, so I’ll do my best with the story.

Matteo Miglia always had a thing for the great things past. To pay proper homage to something beautiful was to preserve the idea of it throughout the ages, to make a statement that even renewed, it remained pure and bold and valuable. Matteo Miglia also believed that greatness didn’t mean expensive. Which is why his breakaway company, based near Brescia, Italy, was concerned mainly with budget sports cars that went against the grain. At first, it was the stubbornly MR Legatus of the 80s, an homage to the Lancia Stratos in an era when AWD was making its mark. Then, in the 90s, tiring of the constant anaemia pervading the budget end of cars, built the bonkers Excelsior (of zero budget for build quality fame, but hey, 0-100 in 6 seconds for 12 grand!). Let’s just say the Excelsior didn’t exactly help the Italian image of building things with “character” :sweat_smile:

We now rejoin MM in 2005, where our erstwhile mustachioed pipe smoking JDM afficionado has noticed that the MX-5 NB is ceasing production and the NC is coming the following year. 2005 is a year when everything’s starting to get traction control, electronic stability control, have much better fuel economy (unless you’re building a Murcielago)… and much better build quality. And for a company like MM to survive, it had to rely more on just its quirkiness and building in turbo on absolutely everything. But it also had to maintain its fiercely rearward nostalgic outlook to attract the new wave of cool, ironic Gen Ys taking up car keys and credit cards.

Thus, for the new kids on the block, the entry-level sports coupe, the De Silva!

Powered by a 1.35L turbo 4 pot, the powerplant made only 122bhp, but with an advanced chassis, the car weighed less than a ton. It didn’t light up the tyres, which was good for parents, but was hardly a slouch around town (7.6s to 100km/h if you were a dab hand with the shifter), which was great for the kids. And it had oodles of grip and turned on the dime. For a classic FR driving experience, this was designed to be a bucket of fun.

2 seats, but over 400L of boot space. That’s good for at least 10 crates of wine… 11… 12… 13… well, a lot anyway!

Plus, with classic curves and a perky outlook, it was hard not to love, impossible not to want…

…and frugal to run. It was also very cheap, at $11040 new. In 2019, you would expect to pay $7207 ONO.

And it was good fun on the track too, in fact that was its main focus, with superior handling and balance the mainstay of its sporty factor:

Airfield time:

Tempted? Maybe more than tempted?

10 Likes

I thought likewise when designing my entry - the body used by @phale and @Leonardo9613 is actually too effective for my liking, so I went with something else (specifically, something with at least a pair of rear seats) just to give myself more of a challenge.

reminder that roundmaster still considering back seat for praticalbility, this is one of my reason dropped my buggy small RWD coupe.

but i do agree that car its too cool for teens first car

My thoughts exactly :stuck_out_tongue: I fully expect a more realistic/practical contender to take the crown, especially since mid-engine has super high service costs (my total running costs are similar to a 35mpg front-engine car). But I really enjoyed trying to squeeze as much sportiness out of the budget as possible, and designing the looks was a blast too!

The front end kind of reminds me of a Veyron replica, made me lol :laughing:

Totally badass tho.

3 Likes

Yep! That kind of came about by accident, but once I saw it I loved it :smiley:

And your front end reminds me of an Aston replica. Having a Veyron and an Aston as choices for a first car, looks like EnryGT5 has things pretty good :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah the body is very Aston, and the only grille that fits is also the Aston grille lol.

So I took another look and said no, the headlights have to be different, the car’s dimensions are cuter than that!

So, you ended up with an Aston X RX-8?

2 Likes

Well it’s not quite phale’s Veyron Testarossa :joy:

2 Likes

Fear my mighty 84.1 horsepower! Yes, seriously, that’s all the straight-six in the Dynamite D4 can put out. On the plus side, it does have 800+ liters of cargo space and four seats… But I didn’t build it to win. I was just having fun.

2 Likes

well from what he said. extra passenger space is nice AND a practical amount of cargo space is crucial.
which means. well yes, 4 seats aren’t neccesary, but IT’S NICE

true, that.

Well, we’ll see. There aren’t many modern small bodies that will fit 4 door or even 2 + 2, without sacrificing a fair bit.

well. why not go a bit classic? :slight_smile:
and excellent mileage from your car, which i assume, is using MPFI?

your coupe can if you make it convertible and of course the price will skyrocketed

why not pushing the fuel economy more? mine can reach 5.4l/100km though

and since the big fish already show their card i guess there no hurt anymore to show my full stats http://m.imgur.com/a/1TE7S

yeah, after reviewing the tech, I decided to go modern for fuel injection purposes. Less fuel = significantly lower running costs. I could have actually had slightly better stats from using an NA engine, and it probably would have made a lot more sense (I mean, MX-5 is always NA stock for a good reason).

And @Denta I strongly considered going MX-5 like coupe, but felt that yes, the price and weight would make it not worth it, besides, there’s not a whole lot of point, I just feel like I wouldn’t want to sell a convertible roadster to a first car buyer. I mean, how would we, as a community, react to somebody posting in the My Ride section of the forum asking if buying an MX-5 NB was a good first car choice :joy: They’d probably then proceed to ignore absolutely everybody screaming at them that it’s a terrible idea unless they also want to learn how to maintain a car that likes to fall apart on the fly and just look like a douchebag, and me, I don’t want to sell no car to no douchebag hahahaha.

I didn’t push much more than this because I’m starting to build cars for lore purposes, over cars for stats purposes. Also I frankly went with the first thing that popped into my head, which was this, and didn’t really do much more than that.

2 Likes