The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

It seems like someone’s scared that an RR car will beat them.

Variety is the spice of life, let the creative juices flow my good mans

2 Likes

I think I broke it…

8 Likes

Been there, done that😁

Forgive my ignorance, but what is meant by ‘rear engine cars’ mod? Does that just mean those bodies that are copies of built-in cars but with an added rear(/mid) engine option? I don’t see why those would be banned, they aren’t exploitative at all compared to Barth bodies (AFAICT).

Because entering early with a wildcard worked SO well for me last time…

MY55 Bogliq Ghanima

The early days for Bogliq USA were a struggle for market-share against better established competition, as well as getting technical data out of Communist Moldova, where Bogliq’s parent company was (and still is) located. After much cloak and dagger efforts, the Ghanima was put into production for the 1955 marketing year.

You’re looking at a bona-fide Iron curtain escapee in the Ghanima; tight dimensions and spartan interior reflecting the de-emphasis on personal wants over the needs of the group. The Ghanima’s core benefits lie in it’s ability run all day long thanks to a simple engine, light kerb weight and excellent fuel economy. The Ghanima was able to find it’s niche in the inner cities where it’s diminutive frame and hyper-economy provided the optimum blend of delivery vehicle and personal transport, but failed to thrive in the wider (and more open) USA.

Finding a Ghanima today isn’t too hard as they sold for a long time, at a retail price of $6600 driveaway no less, but the biggest problem you’ll find with ownership today is rust, as with any old car, and finding suppliers who stock 10" tyres…

Buy better, buy Bogliq

9 Likes

1953 Vinson Vehicular Research Pilot Mk1

$10,530 when new. Some parts are still made by Vinson Dynamics to this day.

3.8L v8 making 133hp.

It’s not the worst you could do.

7 Likes

1955 Macale Madeira

An early adopter of dual overhead camshafts and four-valve cylinder heads, the Madeira was powered by a three-carb 3.0L I6. While the brand had used this engine configuration before, it was their first car with such a complex and potentially unreliable valvetrain. With double A-arm suspension at all four corners and a high-quality interior, it was equally capable of taking corners and cruising down freeways. This level of mechanical sophistication was rare in an era where live axles and SOHC or OHV valvetrains were commonplace.

Although it was offered at a base price of $10600 without markups, its mass-produced nature, thanks to its galvanized steel monocoque structure, made it easier to produce. In addition, many exterior colors were offered, including the deep Piedmont Green shown here. Available as a two-seat coupe (as seen here), a 2+2 hardtop or a soft-top convertible, later examples had disc brakes and power steering as standard. To this day, it has such a devoted following that Macale still makes some replacement parts for the Madeira.

4 Likes

Riding on the success of the Devillain DR6, the Devillain DR12 was produced with the hope of reaching the more upper-tier market, those who wanted the beautiful sleek lines, but also wanted a more powerful engine and a bigger car overall.

With a base price of $11,100, and a V12 under the hood, it was believed that the car would do well. The purely mechanical nature of the DR6 carried over, with many of the same parts used between both cars, with only very minor exceptions. Perhaps most important, however, was the use of 6 single-barrel eco-carburettors, aiming to give decent fuel efficiency without compromising the engine’s performance. While tuning can - and will - be a nightmare, when all 6 carbs are working perfectly, the highly-balanced 488 cubic inch pushrod V12 will sing for you.

21 Likes

I want it

4 Likes

LLA Was founded in 1953 with the goal of creating affordable cars that are fun to drive. In 1954 they released the Bandit 2000.

This beautiful drop-top used a front mounted 2L Iron block engine to create 76 Bhp that drove the rear wheels up to 102 Mph. Also as this engine was a DOHC with 16 valves and dual twin carbs it achieved 20 mpg (us). LLA sold these units for about $8700 with 0% markup making the LLA Bandit an affordable fun car achieving LLA’s goals.

OH Yeah, did I mention it’s British yet has an average reliability factor of 60.5!

4 Likes

Alright, seems like most people are fine with allowing the rear engined cars mod, so it’s in!

7 Likes

I’ve tried to PM you the export file for my car, but have so far been unsuccessful. Why is this?

At least I’ve decided to accept the fact that the mods for rear-engined cars will be eligible for use in this round, and provided an attachment containing my entry in the post describing it.

Good to know, not that anyone did

5 Likes

Soon…

17 Likes

1952 Townsend TC-series Roadster

1952 Townsend TC2700 in Pure White

Following a few years after the initial TA-series coupes, the TC-series were all convertible roadsters. And they left no question as to whether or not they’d be the “mean big brother” compared to their predecessors.

The most commonly installed motor for this series was a twin-carb 2.7 liter V8. Though small in displacement compared to contemporary V8s offered by other American manufacturers, Townsend eschewed simple-yet-anemic pushrods in favor of “more European” technology. The result was rather sprightly performance in the little convertible.

1952 Townsend TC2700 in Heritage Green

This was aided by the overall light weight of the car. Much of the body was made of aluminum. Unfortunately this meant that production numbers for the TC Roadster was not very high. However, those that found their way into barns and carports when retired can generally be found in good condition, whereas nearly all of the more mass-produced steel-bodied TA coupes and convertibles of the same era have long since rotted away.

Original cost (without markup) - $9500

(OOC: Fully expecting to get my ass kicked by both the Devillain and the Znopresk)

6 Likes

Hey everyone! I’ve expanded the original post quite a bit, mostly describing what’s unique about the Woodward Dream Cruise (in case the pictures I linked didn’t get the point across). The rules haven’t changed, except for allowing the rear engines mod of course. Hopefully this will make things a bit clearer!

Link for your convenience: The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

4 Likes

hmmm. should say i’m rather kinda taken aback by the number of people trying to push 4 valve per cyl engines

like… even in the late 60s multi valve cyl head was kinda still plagued by reliability problems on mass production cars iirc.

only by the 70s 3 valves started being good

2 Likes

I suspect @phale will use Automation’s opinion about tech reliability(?).

INSTAWANT :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I took a wild card and went for a multi valve engine