The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Just give me some time to come up with a rule set… Just in case I have to host the next round.

And yes, I do have time to spare for that.

Oh dear, I’m not used to hosting challenges, especially something of this scale. Maybe I’ll be more confident after I participated in a couple more CSR rounds, but for now I would have to pass the torch.

@Mr.Computah what do you say?

I’m afraid I still need to finish the Great Automation Run. Gotta hand the round to the next person unfortunately.

So that person will have to be me. I do have enough time to host the next round, though, and the rule set for CSR61 will be up in an hour or two at most. I just have to finalize it… And this is only the second time I have hosted a round of CSR - my first stint as round master since CSR26.

Really I didnt know. Thanks. But you know you could have just said this.

6 Likes

CSR61: Party Like It’s 1999!

Back to Kee this time.

Here’s some music to get you in the mood:

The year is 1999. I have held a driving license for a few years now, and have so far been content with the truck my parents use to drive to work every day. But now that I have saved up a decent amount of cash, I feel like buying a car for myself for the first time. Specifically, I am looking for a performance car that gets me noticed and encourages me to drive just for the sake of it. It could be a muscle car (like a Camaro or Mustang), a pure sports car (such as an Elise or Boxster), or a grand tourer (M5, Jag XK), but I don’t have enough cash to stretch to a true supercar or hypercar yet. So, without further ado, here are the requirements:

• Trim year: 1999 (model year can be older)
  • Car body should not be older than 10 years
  • Maximum cost: $25000 with a 20% markup. You can submit something that’s well under budget, but it might not be the best strategy.
  • Fuel type: 91 RON regular or 95 RON premium unleaded
  • No FWD or 4x4 - must be RWD or AWD
  • Must be a two-door coupe or convertible.
  • 2 seats minimum, 4 seats max - I don’t need more than four.
  • Must be street-legal with headlights, taillights, indicators and door handles (pop-up headlights are OK)
  • Loudness must be no higher than 50
  • Catalytic converter required
  • No chunky offroad or semi slick tires
  • Engine variant reliability must be at least 50; average reliability for the trim must be at least 60
  • No race intake or exhaust headers
  • Minimum cooling required and no bottom out
  • Fuel consumption should not be greater than 14.12 L/100km (20 UK mpg/16.66 US mpg)
  • Car must have an advert which includes a picture of the car, and its post-markup price.
  • In the event of your car having “missing” mods (which do not work properly on my end) you may revise your entry to use a different fixture and/or body.

And here are some guidelines to follow:

• Aesthetics, prestige, and sportiness are very important. It has to draw enough attention - and of the right kind - whenever I’m driving it, and it needs to put a smile on my face when I’m driving it enthusiastically.
  • Drivability, safety and comfort are moderately important - I don’t want a car that’s too difficult to control, and besides, my skills are nowhere near as good as those of Michael Schumacher. Nor should my new car be too taxing to drive during the daily grind.
  • Be sensible, even though there is no PU/ET limit for the trim or engine. I want something that’s not too difficult to maintain when something goes wrong.
  • This round is subjective as well, so min-maxing is not recommended.

Naming convention:

Model: CSR61 - your username
Trim: your car’s name
Family: CSR61 - your username
Variant: your engine’s name

Deadline: 21st January @ 12:00 am GMT

Good luck and have fun!

EDIT: Don’t forget to ask me if you are unsure about the rules. Speaking of which, in response to feedback, I have revised the rules and finalized them. Now that the rule set is definitive, entries are now open!

3 Likes

So I just did a brief test of this round, and have a few concerns:

• the sandbox price calculator is obviously difficult to calibrate, but let’s just say with 35k @ 40%, I can build a pretty convincing Lamborghini Murcielago with over 500hp, does 0-100 in 3.5s, has a luxury interior and premium CD player, and it just squeezes into the budget unless I insist on an active wing. I’m not sure that’s what you’re really after?
  • Because what you’re really after isn’t quite clear when you’ve said that everything is important: sportiness, drivability, safety, comfort, reliability… that’s pretty much everything except utility and offroad.

I would suggest halving the budget and then being a bit specific about what you’re really after.

Sportiness is very important
Drivability is important
Safety is important
Comfort is important
Reliability is important

you’re literally asking for everything… for what, less than $20000 without markup?

what ‘performance car’ do you actually have in mind?

do you want performance car with comfort? (BMW… in the 90s)
or
do you want premium car with some power? (non entry-level Merc… also in the 90s)

irl examples maybe?

also. please don’t do what you did last time you hosted. changing the rule after the round has started. finalise it now.

I am looking for a sports car first and foremost, similar to ones on sale at the time (C5 Corvette, NSX, Elise, etc.), but the budget has been reduced to $25000 with a 20% markup after looking at the feedback.

And one more thing: I’ve finalized the rule set for this round and will now begin accepting entries.

…this still doesn’t make much sense, these three are vastly different in performance, in setup, in comfort, in reliability and in price.

Also, where does the character/you live? You list both 91 and 95 as options without telling us if 95 comes at a disadvantage

The character I made for this round lives in Santa Monica, CA. There is no penalty to using 95RON premium unleaded, although I would like to save some cash at the pump.

Also, this round is open to interpretation, with sportiness the main priority above all others. I tested the round after revising the rule set and found out that it allows for a lot of possibilities, including front-engined GTs and mid-engined sports cars.

First entry, yay!

Orion XMS-1

eXperimental Mass Supercar One - as if Orion by itself wasn’t an experimental mass brand.

10 litre turbo V8 for that nice 750+ ft lb of torque and 666 hp. AWD with LSD and 6 speed manual for turning that into 3.4 second 0-60 time and 210+ MPH top speed.

Now you might think that it’s some expensive track monster, but you’d be wrong. It has a comfortable interior, just like a regular premium car, complete with a CD player and a bunch of electronic assists. It also won’t ruin your wallet with 23 MPG economy and 25 000 $ price.

Now just go and get one.

14 Likes

Zasteros eXperimental - Sport 1 (XS1)

Why all the horsepower when you only need about 266 hp?

And really, it is fast through the straights and corners with an acceleration of 0 - 60 in 4.9 s

Reliable and Cheap, Prices start at $ 23 ,280 with a fuel mileage of 28.4 mpg (UK)

6 Likes

OK, I have something that I think is ready to submit, I’ll likely get around to it sometime tomorrow. until then, Think Evo 5+Ferrari FF+Supra.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the ad, but your submission won’t count unless you PM me the export file for your car before the deadline. I would appreciate it if you could find the time to do so.

Edit: Now that I have received the appropriate export file, I can download it for the sake of reviewing the corresponding trim.

The Centauri Buffalo GTZ, A 2 seat grand touring coupe for the working man. Easily driveable in day to day conditions despite it’s 401hp and 500lbft of torque, you can cruise in 6th all day long at any speed loads and loads of low end torque 390ftlbs from idle and reaching it’s peak of 500 at just 2500rpms, but it really comes into it’s own when you push it hard, miles of grip and a roaring 9 liter V8 means nothing but smiles for you the driver.

It also sells quite well. pick up yours today for just $23160

5 Likes

MY99 Bogliq Dolphin 33R

Sensing a need in the market for an affordable, yet high performance, mid-engined coupe. Bogliq Automotive chose to resurrect the Dolphin nameplate for the USA and released this l’il beauty…

Lightweight, fuel efficient and very fun to drive, the Dolphin 33R was the flagship of the Dolphin range and was only bettered, performance wise, by Bogliq’s hyper expensive supercar, the Shelob…

Utilizing a comforting mix of traditional sportscar staples with the latest of racecar tech, the Bogliq Dolphin 33R is unlike any other Bogliq you’ve experienced to date. Get in quick because at $22,990 driveaway they’ll all be gone before you know it!

Come and test drive a Dolphin 33R at your friendly, local, Bogliq dealer today!!!

Buy better, buy Bogliq

13 Likes

1999 Townsend Templar Grandmaster

Sport sculpted lines. Aerodynamic tuning.

Refined interior. Advanced technology.

5.3 liters. 342 Horsepower. All-aluminum exhilaration.

Templar Grandmaster.

Only from Townsend.

Price as shown: $24,480.

7 Likes

DNV N3 TaC

(Totally a Coupe)

Two doors, FR layout, power aplenty - that’s the common definition, right? Break the shackles of conformity! Don’t be fooled by the boldly unassuming package - the 325 horses that come courtesy of a screaming 3.3L V8 will hurl this pocket rocket from a standstill to 100 kph in 4.5 seconds and propel it on to its - ahem, aerodynamically regulated - top speed of 245 kph. A sophisticated suspension ensures tight and brisk handling while a plethora of electronic guardian angels will keep you from killing yourself. Top this mix up with a stylish interior that seats four and offers all of the usual creature comforts and voila - there you have the ultimate breed of dailyable sports car.

So what are you waiting for? Surprise your friends, shock your parents, impress the girl next door! Get your N3 TaC now!

15 Likes